Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to meditate?

Sophie101Sophie101 Somewhere over the rainbow Explorer
edited March 2017 in Meditation

Hi, I would like to possibly learn how to meditate. Nothing that I search seems to be helping me =)

Comments

• GuiGui Veteran

I would suggest finding a sangha nearby if possible.

Sophie101
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Hi @Sophie101 you may find this series of videos by Ajahn Jayasaro of the Thai Forest Tradition on how to meditste useful:

https://vimeo.com/album/180330

Sophie101
  • Sophie101Sophie101 Somewhere over the rainbow Explorer

@Gui said:

I've looked online for one, but it is confusing. I live near London and there's not many nearby. O.o

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Gui said:

Not all that helpful, really. All very well for some. Impossible for others; my nearest 'sangha' is 60 miles away. As things stand, that's unworkable.
    Besides, this forum is a sangha of sorts. And I disagree that a sangha is necessary. It would be nice, in an ideal world, of course, but...

@Sophie101 it's not a question of learning so much as practising.
    Basically, you need to experiment with various ways and find one or two which suit you and 'do the trick'.

Do you think you'd prefer to sit in a chair, on the floor, walk, or lie down? (Lotus position not necessary!)
    Would background music help, do you think?
    Would focusing on an object be helpful?
    Have you tried with eyes open, or closed?

Give us a little background, because walking meditation may also be a method you might like to explore, so to support you better, a bit more info would be great.

Thanks, and - welcome to the Forum!

Sophie101

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    Hi @Sophie101 you may find this series of videos by Ajahn Jayasaro of the Thai Forest Tradition on how to meditste useful:

https://vimeo.com/album/180330

Thank you. I will watch them now. =)

@federica said:

@Gui said:

Not all that helpful, really. All very well for some. Impossible for others; my nearest 'sangha' is 60 miles away. As things stand, that's unworkable.
    Besides, this forum is a sangha of sorts. And I disagree that a sangha is necessary. It would be nice, in an ideal world, of course, but...

@Sophie101 it's not a question of learning so much as practising.
    Basically, you need to experiment with various ways and find one or two which suit you and 'do the trick'.

Do you think you'd prefer to sit in a chair, on the floor, walk, or lie down? (Lotus position not necessary!)
    Would background music help, do you think?
    Would focusing on an object be helpful?
    Have you tried with eyes open, or closed?

Give us a little background, because walking meditation may also be a method you might like to explore, so to support you better, a bit more info would be great.

Thanks, and - welcome to the Forum!

Walking meditation would likely not work, as I have problems with my back and find it hard to walk at the best of times. I have tried laying down and sitting on a chair, but I have found that I prefer to be on cushions on the floor, cross legged. I can't seem to know what to do when I'm sitting down, I feel a bit silly because my 5 year old sister comes in and disrupts me. She is a bit rude and jeers at me, even though we're trying to teach her equality as I come from a christian family.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Try to schedule your meditation time when either she's at school, or asleep. You can also do 'recharging bullets' of meditation during the day. For example, sometimes, during my lunch period, I'll sit in our cloakroom and simply close my eyes. It might only be for 3 of 5 minutes - but every little helps.

May I ask how old you are...?
    It may be of little or no comfort, but others here have also had back/spinal issues, so we can sympathise.
    Knowing this now, it's easier to help and support you.
    I'm not trying to pry, but what is the nature of your injury, and how debilitating is it for you?
    Just to be able to give you good advice....

edited March 2017

@federica said:
    Try to schedule your meditation time when either she's at school, or asleep. You can also do 'recharging bullets' of meditation during the day. For example, sometimes, during my lunch period, I'll sit in our cloakroom and simply close my eyes. It might only be for 3 of 5 minutes - but every little helps.

May I ask how old you are...?
    It may be of little or no comfort, but others here have also had back/spinal issues, so we can sympathise.
    Knowing this now, it's easier to help and support you.
    I'm not trying to pry, but what is the nature of your injury, and how debilitating is it for you?
    Just to be able to give you good advice....

I'm twelve [...] My sister and I have school at the same time, but she sleeps at 7 and I go to bed at 8:30, so that's a good idea. We don't have a cloakroom, but I could always ask of of the kinder teachers if I can sit in her classroom for a couple minutes.

Moderator note:

Sensitive information removed at OP's request.

edited March 2017

The youtube videos suggested are a good start.
    Please understand though that nobody would ever expect you to meditate for long periods of time from the very start. Progress, as with any new form of "exercise" is gradual, varied, slow and uneven. Sometimes you'll do 10 minutes and feel great, at others you might do only 5 and feel even better. Other times, a few minutes might help, and at others, you may feel they're a waste of time.
    The only thing I would definitely recommend, is to persevere. Be patient with yourself, practise and persevere.
    Progress might be slow, but in time you'll improve and see the real benefits.

Sophie101
    edited March 2017

@federica said:
    The youtube videos suggested are a good start.
    Please understand though that nobody would ever expect you to meditate for long periods of time from the very start. Progress, as with any new form of "exercise" is gradual, varied, slow and uneven. Sometimes you'll do 10 minutes and feel great, at others you might do only 5 and feel even better. Other times, a few minutes might help, and at others, you may feel they're a waste of time.
    The only thing I would definitely recommend, is to persevere. Be patient with yourself, practise and persevere.
    Progress might be slow, but in time you'll improve and see the real benefits.

Thank you for your help. I will take it in slow steps and work my way up. I will carry on trying and I will practice until I find a way that works for me. I'm very grateful for the help you've given me. I didn't think anyone would see/ reply to this post, but I'm glad someone did :)

No problem, @Sophie101 ... Bear in mind this forum is pretty international, so many members log in at different times because they're in different time-zones/countries. I'm sure you'll gain other input soon. ;) Hang ten, and stick around....

Sophie101

@federica, i forgot there were other countries that had this site too, I can be a right dumbo at times hahaha :p

• KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

Hi @Sophie101! Welcome to the forum. I would suggest starting with some short guided meditations until you get the hang of it. The best thing to do is not try too hard, which is easier said than done I know.

You might be interested in this series of videos too https://tricycle.org/dharmatalks/freeing-the-mind-when-the-body-hurts/

Sophie101

Hi @eggsavior =) . Thank you for your input. I wont try too hard.

not trying to be nosy, but do some people find it easier to meditate in daylight or darkness?

• KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

@Sophie101 it depends on what time of day you are most alert and when you have time. I meditate inside most of the time so it doesn't really make a difference. But I usually meditate in the afternoon or evening.

I think I will try in the evening as I find it easier to relax in the dark.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Instruction on Zen meditation (much of which is the same in other seated-meditation activities) is available here [https://zmm.mro.org/teachings/meditation-instructions/] with only modest Buddhist gobbledygook ... and photos. Sorry, the direct-link function doesn't like me today.

Hi @genkaku, thank you for the link =) . I'll check it out.

• CoryCory Tennessee Veteran

I prefer to switch it up. Sometimes I will do 108 count of a mantra, sometimes I will let my mind roam free and be comfortable with my thoughts (Or uncomfortable, which is also good), or I will meditate focused on a sertain subject.

With all of those, you want a quiet comfortable place, rather you sit on a pillow, in a chair, or lay in bed, as long as your position is of good posture. Close your eyes and either count your mantra, let your mind roam free, or focus on your subject. There are many nore ways to meditate but these are my favorites. Try to do it in the morning, and I'm the evening. Start off with 10 minutes, and eventually work your way up to 20. Light candles, do whatever you want, it is your comfort zone, there are no set rules.

@Cory said:
    I prefer to switch it up. Sometimes I will do 108 count of a mantra, sometimes I will let my mind roam free and be comfortable with my thoughts (Or uncomfortable, which is also good), or I will meditate focused on a sertain subject.

With all of those, you want a quiet comfortable place, rather you sit on a pillow, in a chair, or lay in bed, as long as your position is of good posture. Close your eyes and either count your mantra, let your mind roam free, or focus on your subject. There are many nore ways to meditate but these are my favorites. Try to do it in the morning, and in the evening. Start off with 10 minutes, and eventually work your way up to 20. Light candles, do whatever you want, it is your comfort zone, there are no set rules.

Thank you for your help. I will try what you suggest =)

• @Sophie101 said:
    not trying to be nosy, but do some people find it easier to meditate in daylight or darkness?

Hi @Sophie101 <3
    At the moment because of when I usually meditate each morning, it is totally dark.

Meditation changes as we grow from our practice.
    Here are some resources for teenagers and young people:
    http://mindfulnessforteens.com/resources/

My feeling is that you would be best suited to 'led meditations'. My suggestion is try typing 'led meditations for young people' or 'teenagers'. There are some on youtube too ...
    http://mindfulnessforteens.com/guided-meditations/

Another great practice is 'yoga nidra', which is a form of directed mindfulness which can be done sitting or lying down ...
    As you might know, Siddhartha Gautama Buddha was a yogi.

Why do you want to meditate?

Bunks

Oops, Im not twelve, I've only just realised I typed it in wrong haha. :p

Then how old are you actually, Sophie?

@federica said:

I am not allowed to say, I asked my parents and they forbid it <3

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Meditation is a practice that takes a lot of time. My best suggestion is to start small. One of the biggest mistakes those new to meditation assume is they have to sit for 20 or 30 minutes. My son started meditating when he was 14, and was very furstrated. But when he decided to start with 3 minutes, and spend that time focusing on his breath, it went better. As he got comfortable he increased time. he is now 20 and in college and meditates as a way to cope with the stress, almost every day for about 20 minutes. Even just learning how to slow and deepen your breathing has a big effect on being able to relax. Don't worry about what you think you should be getting out of meditation, or what should be happening. Just sit in a comfortable position for you and breathe. When you notice you are following the thoughts that arrive, tag it as "thinking" and then return to following your breath. Some days you will do it constantly, some days you will find you have more time before those reminders. Over time, they get less and less.

lobster

Hi @karasti, thank you for your advice. I will try a couple minutes tonight and tell you guys how I get on <3

Bunks

@Sophie101 said:

@federica said:

I am not allowed to say, I asked my parents and they forbid it <3

@Sophie101 , I have responded with a PM. Please read and consider. Thanks. :)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Sophie101 said:

Hi @Sophie101 - welcome!

I am always impressed to hear young people taking an interest in meditation. I didn't discover this practice until I was almost 40! Good on you.....

I find about 30 minutes after I get up in the morning as the best time to meditate.

Good luck!

Sophie101
  • RazorRazor Oregon Explorer

@Sophie101 said:
    Hi, I would like to possibly learn how to meditate. Nothing that I search seems to be helping me =)

What have you tried?

@Razor, @everyone:
    Not sure if Sophie will be back.
    There was an issue regarding her age and presence on forum.....

• RazorRazor Oregon Explorer

Oh. Ok. Thanks im new and didn't know.

'S ok... no-one else really had an inkling either....

@federica said:
    @Razor, @everyone:

@federica said:
    @Razor, @everyone:

lol, I am still on here whilst my parents consider. They said I'm allowed on for the time being x

Unfortunately, according to US law, we cannot permit continued membership.
    There are no channels open for receiving verifiable parental consent, so sadly, we have to effect a ban.

Sorry Sophie, but I have no choice. My hands are tied. By Law.

This discussion has been closed.