Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist v. Hinduism

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

This came up recently at my local group, and I thought it might be interesting to explore the differences and similarities. One suggestion was that Buddhism is Hinduism minus Atman and Brahman, though that is probably a rather crude view, and it could be argued that experientially there is an equivalence between the experience of Nirvana and Brahman.

The common theme seems to be a "seeing through" of everyday experience, and connecting with something deeper.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2017

From my understanding, the main difference is that Hinduism believes in a deity and Buddhism does not. There may be other differences but that's the extent of my knowledge on this.

• MackMack South Carolina, USA New

I think that the difference in Buddhism and Hinduism are small to the new comer but after a little study the seem rather important. The difference between rebirth and reincarnation are one of these differences that are important. Other things like the caste system separate Hinduism and Buddhism but that is a rather large subject in of itself. Though, when it comes down to brass tacks there are few differences between certain schools of the ideologies.

personherberto
  • ToshTosh Veteran

What is the Hindu concept of karma? Is there one or many? I have a notion that negative karma can be 'burnt off' by enforced suffering (like doing ascetic practises).

Is this correct?

• Hindus do better curries. We need to up our game. :p

ajhayesherbertoKundoHozan
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

@lobster said:
    Hindus do better curries. We need to up our game. :p

True. Their curry game is on point, as the kids are saying.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Hindus will often say that Buddhism is just one of many strains of Hinduism, however they see the Buddha as a god...one of many...

The caste system seems to be a biggy when it come to differences ...

Hinduism Buddhism & Taoism ...According to Alan Watts...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2017

@Dakini said:
    Well, it's also that Hinduism believes in an eternal soul (Atman), while Buddhism supposedly doesn't. But I don't want to open that can of worms again.

OP, I think the Buddha in part was reacting to the spiritual environment around him, so in a way, was creating an anti-Hinduism, to some extent. But some of Buddhism's roots are in Jainism, which was around in the Buddha's time, too. The whole thing about not killing, not contributing to the suffering of sentient beings, for one thing.

It seems like both traditions talk about liberation from the cycle of rebirth in some sense. In Hinduism there is ultimately union with Brahman. I'm not sure what the Buddhist equivalent is here...union with reality? ;)