Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gibberish as a form of meditation

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I've been going through some tough times with sleeping and a bit of voice hearing, and have been trying gibberish as a form of meditation. It seems to loosen up the chest and the mind very well, I had the idea from an old Osho meditation. It seems to work best when you feel the words in the mouth, in your ears and in your mind at the same time, mindfully gibbering until your whole being is full of it.

Anyway the problem is these invaders are acting against the harmony of mind and body, creating chaos where there should be order. Yesterday I did an exercise with a forming a body of light around this one that seemed to do some good, and that helped.

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Similar to praying in tongues that some Christians indulge in?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, it generally happens after this.... :D

I think what @Kerome may be referring to is just letting the brain give up whatever words or phrases come into the fore of the conscious and speaking them out loud.
    I get a stream of random, totally unconnected thoughts in my head when I'm trying to fall asleep.
    I try to quit my deliberate thoughts (must pay my mother's bills, what am I going to put in my H's lunchbox tomorrow, wonder what we're going to discuss at the work meeting.... all that kind of mundane stuff that has the nasty habit of arising just as you need to get some rest, you know....

So I try to quit all that process from taking place, and I focus on emptying my mind of all these "gonna keep you awake" ramblings.
    By 'stopping' these thoughts, my brain brings up all manner of weird, out-of-the-blue thoughts which have no association with anything happening in my life, at all.... kind of like a filler....

I think that's what @kerome means....

Kundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:
    I think what @Kerome may be referring to is just letting the brain give up whatever words or phrases come into the fore of the conscious and speaking them out loud.
    I get a stream of random, totally unconnected thoughts in my head when I'm trying to fall asleep.

I've experienced that.

I try to quit my deliberate thoughts (must pay my mother's bills, what am I going to put in my H's lunchbox tomorrow, wonder what we're going to discuss at the work meeting.... all that kind of mundane stuff that has the nasty habit of arising just as you need to get some rest, you know....

Well I was just sitting in meditation posture going "gibbergabbergarble" for fifteen minutes. Followed by a period of silence.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2017

I have done this gibberish speaking on a very few occasions.

For many of us who chant in languages we do not know, it might as well be 'gibberish'. It is not. It is far more effective in many ways than free form use of 'letting go'. It is a question of personal discernment ...

If someone has a very rigid sense of musical form, then listening or playing free form jazz or experimental jazz may break such bonds ... In a similar way the cacophony of discordant Tibetan temple music may shake up a few auditory nerves.

Most of us, maybe just me, probably have no problem with experiencing chaotic forms of mind, speech and wrong effort. Spiritualising, normalising or incorporating such tendencies is not required. Just as right speech rarely needs to incorporate swearing (conflicted emotive speech).

You will know what works for you, on the whole I trend towards mantra and dharani.
    https://greatmiddleway.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/prayer-for-healing-protection/
    http://www.mindvalleyacademy.com/blog/mind/mantra-meditation

OM MANI PEME HUM