Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New? Introduce Yourself to NB Members!

Comments

• HozanHozan Veteran
    edited March 2017

Hi all,
    thank you very much for the add. I'm based in Ireland. I have meditated on and off for years but am looking to make a bigger committment to an ongoing daily practice, rather than being hit and miss with the practice. I look forward to your friendship, support and advice. I follow the Zen Buddhist tradition. Look forward to sharing and learning. I am a Dad to 2 young boys.

Bunks
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited March 2017

Hi all,

I'm not a noob persay, I have just been away for a few years and am back again, hopefully to stay.

-Johnathan

For those who don't know me;

I live in Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada. I am a Behavioral Support Worker (full time) and a Residential Rehabilitation Worker and a Human Services Worker (both casual).
    I have 2 sons (9 and 12).
    I came to this site about 6 years ago after a seperation/divorce seeking advice on dealing with issues of managing anger. I have since married again and after 3 years am once again seperately. It's been 6 months and I am currently in a healthy, loving relationship.

I will spend some time reading through the discussion threads before I start posting. I look forward to reaquainting with old friends and making new ones here.

Bunks
  • Hi @Razor.

<3

Buddha was not a Buddhist. Christ was a Jew. No idea what vajrayana is. Some sort of Hindu cult gone elsewhere as far as I know . . .

Hi @kerance <3

Welcome. B)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

G'day @Hozan and @johnathan - enjoy!

Hozan

@johnathan said:
    Hi all,

I'm not a noob persay, I have just been away for a few years and am back again, hopefully to stay.

-Johnathan

For those who don't know me;

I live in Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada. I am a Behavioral Support Worker (full time) and a Residential Rehabilitation Worker and a Human Services Worker (both casual).
    I have 2 sons (9 and 12).
    I came to this site about 6 years ago after a seperation/divorce seeking advice on dealing with issues of managing anger. I have since married again and after 3 years am once again seperately. It's been 6 months and I am currently in a healthy, loving relationship.

I will spend some time reading through the discussion threads before I start posting. I look forward to reaquainting with old friends and making new ones here.

Truro hey? I was just reading about Truro in Cornwall, UK. My parents are going there in a couple of months (we have ancestors from that part of the world).

• HozanHozan Veteran

G'day Bunks.

• HozanHozan Veteran

Bunks I spent 12 months travelling and working in your beautiful country between 2003 and 2004. Happy memories.

• RazorRazor Oregon Explorer

@Bunks said:
    Welcome @Razor!

Thanks bunks. Nice to meet you.

@lobster said:
    Hi @Razor.

<3

Buddha was not a Buddhist. Christ was a Jew. No idea what vajrayana is. Some sort of Hindu cult gone elsewhere as far as I know . . .

Hi @kerance <3

Welcome. B)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not here to try and explain anything to anyone, but Vajrayana is not a Hindu cult. It actually is 100% Buddhism. You just have to actually research it to find out.

Carlita

@Hozan said:
    Bunks I spent 12 months travelling and working in your beautiful country between 2003 and 2004. Happy memories.

Nice! I dated an Irish girl from Tuam in Co Galway when living in London a life time ago. Had a

@Razor said:

@Bunks said:
    Welcome @Razor!

@lobster said:
    Hi @Razor.

<3

Hi @kerance <3

Welcome. B)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not here to try and explain anything to anyone, but Vajrayana is not a Hindu cult. It actually is 100% Buddhism. You just have to actually research it to find out.

Don't worry about @lobster. You'll get used to him ;)

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:

@Razor said:

@Bunks said:
    Welcome @Razor!

@lobster said:
    Hi @Razor.

<3

Hi @kerance <3

Welcome. B)

Don't worry about @lobster. You'll get used to him ;)

Hah!! That will take some doing.....! @lobster is our resident jester and village idiot. In some quarters, that makes him the wisest one of all....

Bunkskerancelobster

Thanks for the heads up.

I want out! This place is terrible. Someone ban me or delete my profile if possible. @lobster fuck you!!!!

silver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

You yourself are really a card, @Razor!

{Omg - gun to head as avatar} O.o

• BrownbuddhaBrownbuddha Osaka, Japan Explorer

Welcome

• Hah!! That will take some doing.....!

:3

I am so used to the naughty corner, I send myself there ... I try to be good o:) It is the wise option ...

Brownbuddha

Now that is funny!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Razor said:
    I want out! This place is terrible. Someone ban me or delete my profile if possible. @lobster fuck you!!!!

Always happy to oblige a moron's request.
    (I said that out loud, didn't I....? :unamused: )

lobsterBrownbuddhaHozanKundo
  • Tee Hee. @federica puts on her stomping boots ... ;)

I never get's a real chance to play with them naughty trolls ... :o

Well, you know what they say, @lobster, bad habits are easier to pick up than good ones. One troll, I can deal with. Join forces with them and play their game, and it gets to playing on a sticky wicket.

lobsterHozan
    edited March 2017

@lobster ???

Kundolobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I feel very left out, @lobster never picks on me or pisses me off. What's wrong with me huh?

:awesome:

Hozanlobster
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Hi @dhammachick good to meet you. :)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Ditto @Hozan I've been away for a bit.

_ /\ _

• HozanHozan Veteran

@dhammachick im new here! From Ireland. Nice to be part of the Sangha

Kundo

Welcome

Hozan
  • mosquitomosquito Explorer

Hi all,

First, thank you for accepting me as a member.

Few words about me. I live in Poland. I have no contact with any Sangha in real life, I just try by myself things I read about and then see what happens. The most clear strictly buddhist writings I find in Theravada tradition.

I'm almost 40, I have 2 wonderful sons. But still - its suffering what keeps me time after time getting back to watching the mind, trying to reduce cravings, learing to stay calm, learning how to find satisfaction in life, all over again.

I've been reading your discussions for some time now, liked them and got inspired many times. Now I'm able to say - thank you all!

I also hope I can add something too by appearing here, hopefully things that will be better than silence.

• Hi @mosquito, <3

De-lurking and engaging is always useful. It gives us an opportunity to engage interactively and reflect on what we understand ...

Some of us (eg. me) need all the reflection, help and inspiration available, wherever and whenever we can find it ... :3

Hello and welcome @mosquito wish my Polish was as good as your English - !

Welcome to the forum. I approved your application, because it touched me that you had even shared some of the writings here with relatives. It made me think, "Well maybe we're doing something right!" A Gracious thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you've joined us.

I must emphasise: never hesitate to comment, and never believe that simply because we practise, it makes us 'more advanced'. We're all bumbling around in the dark. So I hope you'll jump in, feet first and feel free and happy to say your piece!

edited March 2017

welcome! now we have a @lobster and a @mosquito. Interesting......

I grew up in a small country town in Australia and people were prone to create nicknames for folk based on animals. In my age group I remember:

Possum
    Dog
    Cat
    Puss
    Catfish
    Rabbit
    Chook
    Ferret
    Duck

It wasn't until recently it dawned on me how strange this was.

Carry on.....

• HozanHozan Veteran

Welcome @mosquito . Great to meet you. Looking forward to discussing things here with you. I am also almost 40 with two wonderful sons! :)

@Bunks said:
    welcome! now we have a @lobster and a @mosquito. Interesting......

I grew up in a small country town in Australia and people were prone to create nicknames for folk based on animals. In my age group I remember:

Possum
    Dog
    Cat
    Puss
    Catfish
    Rabbit
    Chook
    Ferret
    Duck

It wasn't until recently it dawned on me how strange this was.

Carry on.....

Locally, we have 'pet' and 'me duck' (pronounced 'dook'). I have also heard 'kitten' and birdie, and my H even calls me 'Runts', on the basis that it may be the smallest of the litter, but punches above its weight, and is a strong survivor by nature. I'll go wiv dat....

Bunks
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

@Razor said:
    Hello all. I'll keep this short. I joined this forum because it was the top hit when I googled "Vajrayana isn't Buddhism" I just wanted to see what people thought. I remember a forum where someone was very much thinking along those lines and I happened to disagree. The discussion ended my membership at that particular forum. I hope to have healthy discussion and make some friends. Thanks for adding me. :)

LOL - someone's taking names and burning bridges

Thanks for your kind words!

@lobster - <3 . And additional thanks for "forgive everything that has ever happened" - which is for me a really healing way of looking at what I've ever done, what others have done, and even - at the way the world, in itself, is.

@federica - once again thanks for the approval and now the encouragement as well! And yes, it's true that I translated to Polish several posts and showed them to my parents and my wife (whom I unfairly forgot to mention in my first post!) - there must be much more positive effects of our practice than we are able to see or predict in the moment of doing it, right?

@Hozan - great to meet you too! I'm also open to discuss things with you (although my English is not as good as Frederica suggested - so it usually takes me some time to make sure that the words convey what I really wanted to say). But if some delay in answering is acceptable, then you can count on me:)

Hi @mosquito, Nice to meet you and welcome. Where in Poland are you from? I was born there but moved to Canada in 1981. I was born in Jelenia Gora.

Very nice to meet you @Tigger . I was born and also currently live in Wroclaw. And I know Jelenia Gora well as I'm a frequent visitor of Karkonosze, Gory Izerskie and other mountains that are around.

Also another coincidence: best friends of my parents and their little daughter moved to Canada (initially to Ottawa), but a bit later (around late 80's or early 90's).

:)

edited March 2017

I went to Wroclaw when I was in Poland last, which was about 8.5 years ago. Very beautiful city. During that visit my family and some friends actually walked 3 days in the mountains (Karkonosze) and logged a couple nights in the mountains. One of the best experiences of my life! It was June and I actually have a picture of me with it snowing in the background - in June! I included a picture in the event others wanted to know what we're talking about. I knew a family in Ottawa that was Polish but I'm sure it's not them LOL

Great photos. I'm so glad you liked it there! I even don't know what to say... I'm just really happy to hear your enthusiasm through the letters:)

edited March 2017

FYI - those pictures were googled LOL

I don't have any handy of mine. Anyway, just saying hello and welcome

• KareeKaree Memphis,TN New

Hey all. I'm Karee, based in Memphis. New to the forum...sort of(I've been stalking around for about a month now but just joined) and to Buddhism so any advice and information would be appreciated. I've been studying Buddhism on and off for years and decided it was a great fit for me so I'm now looking to fully follow it.

VastmindlobsterBunksHozan
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hi @karee ! I'm in Memphis too! Nice to meet you.

@Vastmind nice to meet you too! Good to know that someone on here is in Memphis as well.

Hi @Karee, nice to meet you! There's no tuning back now! Once people get to know you're an avid Buddhist follower, they'll expect you to grow fat, jolly and bald!

Welcome to the house of fun!

BunkslobsterHozanTigger
  • Our noobs - - Hi @Karee <3 - can start here:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/24659/the-basics-of-buddhism

That should keep them busy . . . B)

Karee

Welcome @Karee! Nice to meet you =)

• HozanHozan Veteran

Hi @Karee . Nice to meet you. :)

@federica @Tigger @Hozan Thank you guys for the warm welcome :love:
    @lobster Just read it. That Buddhist cheatsheet is everything :)

I actually printed that cheat sheet and keep it in my wallet!

HozanlobsterKaree
  • MarcelNaultJrMarcelNaultJr Sherbrooke (Québec), Canada New

Hello everyone. My name is Marcel. I am a 31 year-old University student who is near completion of his Master in Arts degree in History at Université de Sherbrooke. I am also a part-time radio show host and a graveyard shift clerk/cashier at a gas station.

I am a man who wears his heart on his sleeve. I'll be candid here, without ruminating too much on my personal life:

I have a GAD (General Anxiety Disorder), an ADHD (Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder) and I was extremely close to lose touch with reality last March, for reasons that are way too personal to talk about on here. I was close to being diagnosed with depression.

Because of those events from last March, let's just say that I have the need to reinvent myself a little bit. Lately, I have read quotes from Buddha and Yogi mystics all over the world. I have also started to read on the subject of Buddhism ever since I have taken my Yoga classes. I don't know why, but it opened my eyes on a spiritual level.

I am here mainly to tell my story and to learn even more about Buddhism.

Bonjour, @MarcelNaultJr et bienvenu. J’espère que vous trouverez beaucoup d'util ici. :)