Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Crazy TV enjoyment practice

'Legion' on Netflix is beyond insanely good. If you are a crazy superhero on meds you might enjoy ...

There are some great programs to watch before guilt and a return to mindfulness sets in:

• Westworld - SF, sentient pleasure robots ... violent, sexy, thought provoking.
  • The Young Pope - Americas first Pope battles with his role
  • Black Mirror - Darkside SF

What are your favs?

shanyin

Comments

• How about samurai jack?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Everyone I know has raved about The Man in the High Castle and the House of Cards. Have not seen them yet but they're on the list. Have quite enjoyed this season of This Is Us, which is a network show (NBC). It is a good replacement for Parenthood, which was a favorite of mine and ended before it's time thanks to greedy tv executives. It's a story about a family that goes back and forth in time from the growing up years and adulthood of a set of triplets. Legion is also on the list.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Since you like AI @lobster have you watched Humans? It's a BBC show about a future where androids are common and the implications of some becoming conscious.

I've heard mention Legion just the other day and will probably check it out. Westworld is also on the list.

• I seem to remember watching one or two episodes of Human and then probably got distracted by dharma, AI robot liberation or similar. Will check it out again @person

Will also try Samurai Jack, thanks @Omar067
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Jack

Seen the first two series of Man in the High Castle
    The first series was complete. I enjoyed it.
    Apart from the striking opening sequence of series two - cleverly designed to hook you in, nothing much but soap opera ...

What about English TV?
    Fawlty Towers - farce with John Cleese, should work for Americans and others?
    Black Books - situation comedy

Tastes are very different, by country, temperament and level of dharma fanaticism ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2017

We've watched a couple of episodes of 'Iron Fist' on netflix.
    A deeply spiritual, naive, yet forceful young 'warrior' returns 'from the dead' to claim his inheritance, and of course, all the rich bad guys who took charge, do everything to prevent him from doing so. He has to channel his inner chi to be the Iron Fist, a warrior who can conquer 'The Hand' and is the only one who can do so... Confused? Yeah me too. Laughed like a drain. Unfortunately, they were the deeply 'serious-mysterious' bits.....

Panned by the critics (no, really?) it carries 5 stars, and is given an 18 certificate. As to why, I have no idea. The censor must have been having a rough day, and felt ultra-sensitive, maybe.... The worst that happened is that he was set on by a gang in a mental asylum, but his 'iron Fist' emerged and he flattened them all (natch). How he managed to 'channel his inner chi' while 3 burly, muscular men with batons were beating 7 kinds of crappoola out of him, I don't know.

lobster
  • Yes I saw episode 1 of Iron Fist, that was enough for me ... There is pop-dharma and popped dharma. I preferred Daredevil - a blind superhero? Yep seems possible ;)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:
    'Legion' on Netflix is beyond insanely good. If you are a crazy superhero on meds you might enjoy ...

There are some great programs to watch before guilt and a return to mindfulness sets in:

• Westworld - SF, sentient pleasure robots ... violent, sexy, thought provoking.
    • The Young Pope - Americas first Pope battles with his role
    • Black Mirror - Darkside SF

What are your favs?

I couldn't get into Westworld, but I loved the original movie (1972). Or maybe it was Yul Brunner :wink:

But I'm a fan of The Night Manager (yes because of Tom Hiddleston), Blackadder (particularly Parte Deux), all three NCIS shows and Lucifer (mmmm Tom Ellis...... ok I'm back)

:grin:

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran

We've seen Man in the High Castle and really enjoyed it too. We watch mostly historic fiction and biographical stuff and thought the story and production quality was great. We've gone back to watching the first season of The Last Kingdom because season 2 has just started on BBC. I read the books already Bernard Cornwell.

Last night watched Marley from 2012, really good account of Bob Marley's life. Always liked his music but didn't realise he was such an influential figure and died well before his time!

• I liked The Night Manager.
    Will look into Marley

Many years ago I saw a documentary about Rastafarians living in small huts on their own in the Jamaican mountains. Growing their food and sacrament (ganga). Writing poetry and leading simple, ascetic and very spiritual lives. Wonderful.

keranceShoshin
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2017

I looked for the man in the high castle and it seems like its only available on Amazon prime. It's not for sale on iTunes and I don't want to get a new subscription service for one show, does anyone know any other non pirate way to get the show in the US?

Eh, maybe I'll just get the 30 day free trial sometime when I know I can binge the 2 seasons.

Man in the High Castle is produced by Amazon so it seems unlikely they will make it available on competing platforms. I thought last year Amazon put out a monthly video fee for people who just wanted the video services and didn't want Prime? Prime is like $100 a year so be careful you don't forget to cancel it! It was like $8 a month or something to compete with Netflix.

I'm really just waiting for someone to figure out the sports aspect. Contracts with sports is the only reason cable tv is hanging on by a thread and eventually that will break. Cannot wait. So tired of paying for 120 channels we don't watch so my husband can have his baseball, lol.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Would love to watch the new Samurai Jack and The Expanse... but I only get standard cable, no SyFy, Netflix, Amazon or other frills. I do have an Apple TV, which I use for watching MLB and some YouTube and iTunes and things.

Currently enjoying Legion and SS-GB on the BBC. Funny that you should mention the Marley documentary, I saw it and really enjoyed it a while ago, good stuff.

you can get netflix and amazon video without cable, they aren't connected to cable or satellite tv at all. They are their own services that you can subscribe and unsubscribe to whenever you want, no contracts or anything. You can watch right on a computer, or use a device like a Roku or game console or whatever to watch on a tv.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited March 2017

Yeah I know, I had a Netflix account for a little while on my tablet and on the Apple TV. But then I started looking at how often I watched their content and whether it's worth a €10 a month package, and I decided not.

I get my cable - about 30 channels that I actually watch and another 30 of crap, with a HD recorder box - plus wired telephone and 50 Mbps internet with no data cap for about €50 a month as a three-in-one bundle deal. And I don't really need anymore, even the Apple TV streaming box is just gravy.

About the only thing that I'd like to see which I don't have access to is the latest season of Game of Thrones which I end up buying on DVD a year later because it's shown on an obscure HBO cable package locally.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Life was so much simpler when I was young..... three channels...BBC 1 BBC 2 and ITV.
    Then came perdition with Channels 4 then 5.... and the rest is a sad, sad history....

@Kerome have you looked if you can get the HBo stuff separately? They do it here online now, you can get it through amazon video I believe, or HBO Go (I think that is right). So you only pay for HBO and not a whole package of movie channels. That is what we do. While I'm sad it'll be over soon, I'm a little glad we can stop paying for it soon. But at least we aren't paying $15 a month all years to watch a show that only on for a couple months! I truly would be happy with no tv service at all for the most part. I hate having the tv on.

Zenshin
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Awesome @karasti, I haven't owned a TV for about ten years. I watch it when I'm at my GFs or a mates house and that's it. Had a netflix subscription for a month and watched a bit but cancelled almost straight away. I'd rather meditate or read a Dharma book than watch TV.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:
    I liked The Night Manager.
    Will look into Marley

Many years ago I saw a documentary about Rastafarians living in small huts on their own in the Jamaican mountains. Growing their food and sacrament (ganga). Writing poetry and leading simple, ascetic and very spiritual lives. Wonderful.

@lobster
    Back in the mid 90s I visited my relatives in Jamaica (my father was Jamaican) they live in the Parish of Clarendon in a tiny settlement called Darlow which was not too far from a Rasta Nyabinghi community in the parish of Manchester which Bob founded...I had the good fortune of visiting the community over the Christmas period (they celebrate it in January) you couldn't find a more laidback friendly community and the ital vital food was to die for :)

Now back to ......

Crazy TV enjoyment practice

lobsterZenshin