Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Mothers Day

Happy Mothers Day to all Mothers here in this Sangha and worldwide. Personally I am so grateful for my own mother and my wife who is a wonderful mother to our two sons. Have a great day. :)

Bunkskarasti

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2017

Actually, if I'm going to be a pedant (and yes, I'm going to be) it's "Mothering Sunday" and originally had absolutely nothing to do with being a Mother of Children.

In the UK, we should celebrate Mother's Day along with everyone else: In May.
    Mothering Sunday is a Parish tradition dating back many centuries; it falls right in the middle of Lent, and was a time when Household servants could celebrate their own form of Easter, by returning to the place of their birth, their 'Mother Parish'.
    Easter was always a time of intense labour and domestic work, so they could never enjoy an actual Easter at home, by going to their own church....

Mothering Sunday is actually a Religious occasion.
    However, its commercial value quickly became exploited and sadly, now, the original significance of a 'Child' returning to its 'Mother' (Parish) is rapidly losing all significance, and people no longer remember the true origin of the day.

However, in the spirit of community, I thank you for your kind and generous wish. <3
    My eldest daughter sent me a beautiful card, in which she wrote, "Have you ANY idea how hard it is to find a card that says 'Happy Mothering Sunday'...?!"

Sadly, yes I have.

To add insult to injury, the clocks went forward an hour, thereby depriving all deserving Mums everywhere, of a much needed extra hour in bed..... :D

lobsterFosdick
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Thanks @federica great to learn of the real history behind the day and the original meaning of it. Its a great education learning from everyone here. So many celebrations have been jumped on and lost or clouded their original meanings havent they. Wasnt aware of the origins of today so thank you.
    Clocks went forward but my wifes still in bed - as she deserves to be. Im the early bird in this house so it suits me to do the mornings!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2017

@federica said:

To add insult to injury, the clocks went forward an hour, thereby depriving all deserving Mums everywhere, of a much needed extra hour in bed..... :D

Ay caramba, not only s-mothered but losing time ...
    Humbug! [too naughty?]. What I meant to say ...

is ... The Buddha in particular Tara, is Our Mother
    http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-myths/goddess_tara_white.htm

OM TARE TUTARE TURE SOHA

Hozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think one of the reasons that Mother's Day is celebrated in May, in the majority of other countries, is that May is traditionally the Month of Our Lady - dedicated to Christ's Mother, Mary.
    There are also several Christian Days of note during that month, namely, The Ascension (of Jesus), Pentecost (celebrating the descent of the Holy Spirit on the disciples of Jesus after his Ascension, held on the seventh Sunday after Easter), Trinity Sunday (the Sunday following Pentecost, observed as a feast in honour of the Holy Trinity), and Corpus Christi - commemorating the institution of the Eucharist, observed on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday. The Eucharist is the ceremony, or sacrament commemorating the Last Supper, in which bread and wine are consecrated and consumed. Why this happens so long after Easter, is anybody's guess. But The catholic church will use any excuse for a bit of a knees-up....

Mary of course, was a significant force for the whole of Christ's Life. She is never far away, and is evident both at his birth and at his death. Surprisingly, the poor schmuck chosen to be his Earth father, is never mentioned at all, and his last written appearance is of when Jesus Mary and Joseph travel to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, and once it is ended they begin the return to Nazareth, only to find that Jesus is not among the whole troupe travelling. So his parents (Joseph is not mentioned by name) return to the city to locate him, and find him in the Temple, discussing matters with the Elders, and holding his own quite well.
    When they ask him why he was still there, and not with them, he replies "Did you not know I would be in my Father's House?"
    Well there's gratitude for you.
    Joseph's house was no doubt some wattle-and daub clay construction in the middle of nowhere, but obviously, Jesus wasn't referring to that. Was that 'His Father's House'? No, of course not.
    Had I been Joseph I'd have boxed his ear for impudence. Bloody cheek.

After that? he is never written about or spoken about, again. Which I personally find extremely curious, given that menfolk held more prominence in those days and women ususally were of a lower caste.... You'd think his influence would be more discussed.
    At least he has a couple of feast days in his honour: St. Joseph has two feast days on the liturgical calendar. The first is March 19; Joseph, the Husband of Mary. The second is May 1, Joseph, the Worker. You'd think the days would be reversed, and that May would mark his role as a Husband, given that the remainder of the month is devoted to his wife. Poor sap.

@lobster said:

@federica said:

Ay caramba, not only s-mothered but losing time ...
    Humbug! [too naughty?]. What I meant to say ...

is ... The Buddha in particular Tara, is Our Mother
    http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-myths/goddess_tara_white.htm

Oh yeah, she my fav'rite bee-atch....

• HozanHozan Veteran

Tara is a female Buddha, fully enlightened.

As am I, of course..... :tongue::lol:

herbertoFosdick
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Bah humbug. :p

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

herberto
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@SpinyNorman cant look at your profile without remembering all my favourite austin powers moments

• HozanHozan Veteran

• herbertoherberto Arizona Explorer

I read this thread this morning and thought, "Oh crap, I forgot Mothers Day!". However since I'm in Arizona it's not Mothers Day here. I enjoyed reading about the origins of Mothering Day, thanks Federica.

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

I read this post and almost had a heart attack. I had to google that Mother's day was in May, for us anyway...phew!

karastiVastmind
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Sorry all for almost creating cardiac arrests. I hadnt factored in US vs UK difference in dates. @federica has clearly shown differences in dates/origins of day earlier in this thread

edited March 2017

I forgot my moms birthday once and felt like the worst person in the world o:)

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Tigger me, too. Then I thought it must be an old post. Then I realized the world doesn't resolve around where I live :lol: I like those reminders :)

@federica that's really interesting. Is it widely celebrated as Mother's Day, regardless? I know a few of my British friends on FB posted about it as well. To me, mother's and father's days (here anyhow) feel like contrived holidays by Hallmark, the flower industry, and brunch buffets. It's a very busy time of year for us so we tend to lump it all into one thing. My mom and husband both have birthdays the same week. I enjoy appreciating my mom and all the lovely female influences in my life, and I try to do so more often than once a year. But we don't make a big deal of mother's here. My kids and husband usually clean the house while I have breakfast with my mom and then we get together for cake or something later for the birthdays and mom's day.

But, on my birthday, I send my mom a rose as thanks for all the work SHE had to do on my birthday. That is a tradition I picked up from my ex's family and just thought was nice. I get to celebrate with cake and gifts when I didn't do anything!

Vastmind
    edited March 2017

I love that idea of giving your mother a rose on your birthday - very cute!

The handful I was, my mother deserves a bouquet of roses everyday :p

Not even kidding

• @Tigger said:
    I forgot my moms birthday once and felt like the worst person in the world o:)

My mother is losing her memory. No need for flowers and card, she just forgets . . . Yippee!

I iz rubbish, uncaring offspring! :expressionless:

Maybe I'll send her an early Christmas card ... mmm ... (too naughty?) O.o

Tigger
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2017

@lobster said:
    Maybe I'll send her an early Christmas card ... mmm ... (too naughty?) O.o

If her memory's going you could recycle the same card indefinitely. :p

lobsterTiggerkarastiShoshin

Naughty boy, @SpinyNorman ....!

Tiggerkarasti