Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sports Teams

Just for fun Im curious as to sports teams people support of have an interest in.
My own : Football: Cork City FC, Manchester City FC (both since childhood).
Rugby Union : Munster.

Bunks

Comments

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2017

I'm one of those people that support my city so Toronto, Toronto, Toronto! Don't really watch football but I would cheer for Poland, since I'm Polish, even though we're terrible. We used to be good long time ago in the ages of dungeons and dragons O.o

Blue Jay's
    Maple Leafs
    Raptors

Sports is just about money though, let's be honest. The city/country with the most amount of money that's willing to spend it on players wins!

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Hozan said:
    Just for fun Im curious as to sports teams people support of have an interest in.
    My own : Football: Cork City FC, Manchester City FC (both since childhood).
    Rugby Union : Munster.

My hubby and you may come to blows... :D He's an Arsenal supporter; we also keep a watch on Nottingham Forest & Bristol, and as for Rugby, England, and at a push if nothing else is available, Wales.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited March 2017

We watch some, but being in the US soccer/football and rugby aren't very big. We cant' even get either on tv here most of the time. I think our state just got, or is getting a soccer team. We do watch American Football (but our team is awful like most of our prosports teams other than the women's basketball team) and baseball. I wouldn't have tv if it werent' for my husband liking sports, so I'd do fine without them in my life. I prefer to watch things like snowboarding or gymnastics.

I hate the business of pro sports and think it is utterly ridiculous how much we spend here on sports heroes while people continue to go without food or medical needs or even shelter. A single salary of one pro sports figure could feed a whole lot of people for a long time. Several years ago our baseball team signed a hometown player that was excellent in his position for $27 million a year. He got hurt and was moved to a new position where he's just another player, no longer great. But we can't trade him so still pay him $27million a year to be just a decent player. For 10 years. That's almost $300 million. Friggin ridiculous when you look at the things in our national budget that are being cut for far less money because they "cost too much." So I refuse to support that industry by buying sports gear and going to games. So far I can't make my husband give up paying the stupid cable fees to watch though. But on top of that, the team can't afford to get improved players because they paid top dollar for an alright player who is sucking up a ton of the team's budget on his own.

In the past 5 or so years, our state has spent $1.5 billion on 2 new stadiums for teams that haven't done well since then. The teams paid for some, but our state forked over many hundreds of millions in tax payer money for it, along with increased taxes for the future to pay for them. $1.5 billion. While I know kids who are giving cheese sandwiches for school lunch because their lunch accounts are negative. While my son takes out $14k a year in loans to go to one of the cheapest colleges in the midwest. It's stupid and I hate it.

Tigger
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am a self confessed sports nut!

Teams:

AFL (Aussie Rules) - Carlton
    English soccer - Newcastle United
    Aussie soccer - Melbourne City
    Baseball - Colorado Rockies
    American Football - Denver Broncos
    Cricket - Australia and Melbourne Stars

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's patently obvious you do not have a single drop of British blood in you.. :grin:

Kundo

@federica said:
    It's patently obvious you do not have a single drop of British blood in you.. :grin:

Is that aimed at me @federica?

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

Mais bien sur....! :p

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

Mais bien sur....! :p

You are correct! My ancestors were convicts :)

Tigger
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Irish?

• HozanHozan Veteran

Your hubby is going through a tough time @federica. Tough times for the Gunners. Man City vs Arsenal on Sunday and a few weeks later in FA cup final.....

Bunks

@Hozan said:
    Irish?

Not sure - I know I have a chunk of Scottish, Irish, Cornish and German in my blood.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

We're home supporters also.

Soccer/football-Black Stars!!! Go Ghana!!
    Basketball- Memphis Grizzlies. Go Grizz!

Bunks

@Hozan said:
    Your hubby is going through a tough time @federica. Tough times for the Gunners. Man City vs Arsenal on Sunday and a few weeks later in FA cup final.....

Arsenal are a great team. Personally, I think Wenger is just about done, though. He is the longest-serving manager of any team, and has seen the team through thick and thin. They have consistently not been out of the top 4, for goodness knows how many years.

I personally know next to nothing about footie. I just liked Thierri Henry, and think Walcott is a dish, but I wish he'd shave his beard off....
    I'm more a rugby fan. When I say 'rugby' I mean big thighs and tight behinds..... :D

HozanVastmind
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Union or League?

Who cares...?!

HozanBunksVastmindKundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Not sure - I know I have a chunk of Scottish, Irish, Cornish and German in my blood.

That makes you an English gentleman. :p

federicaBunks
  • HozanHozan Veteran

• HozanHozan Veteran

• HozanHozan Veteran

Four big games for my teams this weekend. Tonight 2 of the 4 games were played and 2 wins! Cork City win 3-0 away from home to create a new record for consecutive wins in the league. Munster A ( second team) won the British and Irish Cup beating Jersey Reds coming from 18-0 down.

The big one is tomorrow...Champions Cup Semi Final in Dublin. Munster vs Saracens ( last years champions).

Sunday FA Cup semi final. Manchester City vs Arsenal....

Could it be 4 from 4 this weekend...half way there......

• HozanHozan Veteran

• HozanHozan Veteran

I think you need to lie down in a dark room with a glass of something sweet.....

Hozan
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

Manchester City (my main team and I live in Manchester)
    Oldham Athletic (local lower league team)
    Atlanta Falcons (since about (2010)

• HozanHozan Veteran

Hey @Lee82. Ive been following Manchester City since 1983

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2017

@Bunks said:
    I am a self confessed sports nut!

Teams:

AFL (Aussie Rules) - Carlton

My partner is a long suffering Carlton supporter. Of course I'm a die-hard Sydney Swans supporter.

English soccer - Newcastle United

My dad's a Newcastle supporter, my mum's an Arsenal supporter and I follow Man U (sorry @Hozan we can't be friends anymore :lol: )

Aussie soccer - Melbourne City

BOO!!!! I'm a long suffering Mariners supporter.

Cricket - Australia and Melbourne Stars

yawn Cricket is tennis on valium (yes, I said it)
    Rugby Union is crap (and Australia sucks at it anyway)
    My father and Uncle played first grade Rugby League in the 1960's and as a result I support Eastern Suburbs Roosters. NSW for Origin and the Kangaroos internationally.

HozanBunks
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Well i'm going to be friends with you anyway @dhammachick . So there! :awesome:

Kundo
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

@Hozan said:

Longer than me then, I was only born in 82!

Here's hoping for a good result at Wembley tomorrow!

Hozan
  • ThomBThomB Explorer

Born and raised outside Boston so Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins. For trivia/history buffs I can also lay claim to attending a Patriots game at Fenway Park. Mid-sixties. Look it up. Recently I have become an Arsenal FC fan through family/ancestry connections.

• HozanHozan Veteran

@Lee82 said:

@Hozan said:

Longer than me then, I was only born in 82!

Here's hoping for a good result at Wembley tomorrow!

Come on City!

• HozanHozan Veteran

@ThomB said:
    Born and raised outside Boston so Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins. For trivia/history buffs I can also lay claim to attending a Patriots game at Fenway Park. Mid-sixties. Look it up. Recently I have become an Arsenal FC fan through family/ancestry connections.

@Lee82 and @ThomB and @Hozan .

Wembley. Semi final. Enjoy the game today.

@federica hope your husband enjoys the game today.

Thank you @Hozan, I have passed on your good wishes.

Hozan

@Hozan said:

Yeah tell me that after City and United have played on Thursday :awesome:

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited April 2017

@dhammachick said:

@Hozan said:

Yeah tell me that after City and United have played on Thursday :awesome:

Some of my best friends are Man Utd fans @dhammachick :)

Kundo

Woooo-hoooo! Final, here we come - !!

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Well done Arsenal and good luck in the final !
    Costly match for City. Will be without Aguero, Silva and Fernandinho for Manchester Derby on Thursday night. All injured today.
    Gold news for Man Utd @dhammachick .

@federica well done Arsenal!

Kundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Will you be watching the Manchester Derby @dhammachick ?. At 8pm BST, thats probably the small hours of the morning in Australia and probably not a great time. Should be a good game. Place in the top 4 at stake..

• HozanHozan Veteran

5am our time. I'll be watching

Hozan

In even better news, the mighty Toon will be back in the Premier League next year!

Howay the Lads!

Hozan

@Bunks said:
    In even better news, the mighty Toon will be back in the Premier League next year!

Howay the Lads!

Bugger. Now my Dad will be unsufferable.

BunksHozan

INsufferable.

Grammar lesson ends,
    Grammar-nerd bids hasty retreat.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@Bunks well done Newcastle. Was delighted to see their promotion confirmed this week. Looks like both their north east neighbours will be passing them going in the opposite direction ( sunderland and 'boro ). Great to see Newcastle back in the top flight!

Bunks
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    5am our time. I'll be watching

Awesome @dhammachick ! Your committment to your team is unquestionable getting up for 5am kickoff. I salute you. Enjoy the game!

@Hozan said:
    @Bunks well done Newcastle. Was delighted to see their promotion confirmed this week. Looks like both their north east neighbours will be passing them going in the opposite direction ( sunderland and 'boro ). Great to see Newcastle back in the top flight!

For real! The challenge now is staying there!

@federica said:
    INsufferable.

Grammar lesson ends,
    Grammar-nerd bids hasty retreat.

In my defence I was on my phone.

In a meeting.... Well waiting for the chairperson, but multitasking on the sly....

The defence rests. The Jury is out.
    (To lunch, most probably....)

KundoHozan

In even more exciting news, it appears we may be winning my favourite Aussie Rules football team as a client at work.

I'll be analysing a lot of their training and match day data if so.

Might give me an edge in the footy tips =)

Kundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Jose parked the bus again @dhammachick !!

BunksKundo