Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Number of members

Is there any list of members on this forum/website? Any way to see how many members in the sangha currently here or is that info available to admin only?

Comments

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

I would assume admin only but frederica would probably best answer that.

Since you ask though I was thinking about something a while back that I never mentioned but thought it would be neat to have. Since this post is about other members in the sangha it fits. What do people think about having birthdays on here or notification when there is a birthday? Too intrusive?

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2017

.... * raises hand *
    present and accounted for.

:mrgreen:

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not a clue. Gonna pass this one on to the Head Honcho! Calling @Linc!

Hozan
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

We have a bit over 16,000 members. I don't have a stat on how many of those are currently active handy.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2017

I would say at a very rough guestimate, around 20.

It bears saying that this includes every single person who has ever logged into newbuddhist, even for only one visit; it includes past and present members, and I'm sure @Linc will confirm that we approve many new members on a regular basis, but only a small proportion of those actually commit to joining the forum at all....

• HozanHozan Veteran

Roll Call for active members?

• HozanHozan Veteran

Here!!

(Not all) here!

lobsterHozanKundoNirvana
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Ive just posted members ive seen active in the last days or week but obviously I havent included the full list of active users there. Feel free to add your name. List above totals 35 !

• HozanHozan Veteran
    edited March 2017

@grackle . 36!

• HozanHozan Veteran

@Namada 38!

• HozanHozan Veteran
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@JohnMac 40!

• HozanHozan Veteran

@Walker 41!

Let's not just mention everyone for the hell of it.

@federica A guesstimate of '20' is, I believe, very low. I'd be shocked if it was under 60, and I'd bet it's easily over 100 if you just count folks stopping by and logging in, not necessarily posting.

edited March 2017

I've found the human brain is very bad at estimating "recently active" in general, by the way. My guesses are based on actually looking at data repeatedly over the years and experiences of likewise always guessing way too low. My opinion is that anyone who has posted in the last 90 days is "active" and our brains are a poor register for that long of a time.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Hi @Linc sorry didnt mean any trouble by putting names in. Point taken. :)

I got curious and we're about 90 days into the year so why not. I queried the database.

355 users have checked in so far in 2017.

See? I still guessed way too low.

TreeLuvr87Nirvana

@Linc said:
    Let's not just mention everyone for the hell of it.

@federica A guesstimate of '20' is, I believe, very low. I'd be shocked if it was under 60, and I'd bet it's easily over 100 if you just count folks stopping by and logging in, not necessarily posting.

Ah. Yeah, I guess you're right, but I couldn't check the database.... I see what you mean.... I was actually referring simply to those who come in regularly and are actively and habitually contributing to discussions.

But according to Hozan's estimates, still way too low even then.

• Why are you interested in this :) (out of curiosity)?

Maybe he wants to send us all presents :p

karastiKundoNirvana

@federica, did you see my post about the birthdays? Any thoughts?

Not that I can actually contribute; the previous format for the website (before we got vanilla) had birthdays announced at the foot of the page. Can't see anything like that here....

Again, that's an @Linc question......

• I still stop in and read quite a bit, maybe once a month. Still love this community, just have very little to post.

@federica said:
    Not that I can actually contribute

Well there's a difference between asking if you think it's valuable and whether you can make it appear. :) It'd be silly to put them in the reverse order...

Indeed. Well, I'm not sure it's valuable at all - maybe some people simply don't want that to be memorable... and as for making it appear... well... that's over to you....

It doesn't appear anyone is interested so no worries.

• @Tigger said:
    Maybe he wants to send us all presents :p

Iz plan?
    I am definitely here. Chocolate welcome. o:)

Kundo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I don't understand this game...
    Anyone calling the roll, @Hozan ?

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran

I'm on the list already and have visited sporadically for the past few years. Sometimes it's multiple times per day, other times a week or two between visits. Sometimes I sign in and sometimes not. I find it doesn't take too long to look through recent posts and catch up.

People come, people go... when of their own volition, to return is a welcome back... and the door is always open....

Lee82lobsterTigger
  • Here. Sorry I'm late!

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@namarupa said:
    Here. Sorry I'm late!

:-)

@namarupa said:
    Here. Sorry I'm late!

As you're late, you can stay behind and clean the chalkboards....

Will_BakerShoshinlobsterHozan
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Traffic was terrible!

Hozanlobsterkando
  • Here.

Hozan
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

STILL here. Don't often get drawn into the fray, though.

• HozanHozan Veteran

Hey @Nirvana . Good to meet you

• I consider myself a long standing member. Just a quiet one. =)

HozanmosquitoNirvanakando
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Hi @Marcelle . Good to meet you. :)