Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Furry friends and family members

I know there was a thread about pets, but I thought I would start a new one. Back in February my family lost our Black Lab to cancer. She was the second rescue dog we had had in the last 12 years. We really wanted to start from scratch with the next family dog and found Anna.

ZenshinkarastiHozanFosdickTiggerBunkslobster

Comments

• ShakShak Veteran

She is a Giant Schnauzer and is probably the smartest dog I have encountered in a long time. I had forgotten how awesome puppies were! My family and I absolutely love her to pieces. Here is my younger son holding here at 14 weeks old.

ZenshinHozanTigger
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

@Shak She's a cutie mate.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Schnauzers are incredibly intelligent and loyal.
    It's important to exercise their brains as well as their bodies - if not more so. They hate to be bored, and that's when they can become destructive and stressed.

As a seasoned dog owner, you in all probability don't need telling this, I'm certain you're going to have all of this perfectly under control. But as you might (or might not) know, I'm a Dog Behaviourist on the side, and the vast majority of problem dogs aren't problem dogs. They're dogs with problems, and these problems are usually created (unknowingly and innocently) by people.

As I said, I'm sure you don't need any advice from me, given that you've had dogs before, and rescue dogs at that - they come with their own set of 'habits'...!
    Here to help - or just gaze enviously...! I currently don't have a dog, and it's the biggest thing missing from my life at the moment...

Enjoy your wonderful pet! <3

mosquito
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Our dog thinks my meditation cushion is her dog bed. She won't touch an actual dog bed. Just my cushion and my son's giant bean bag. We have 2 ferrets, 2 lizards (gecko and chameleon) and a salt water fish tank.

TiggerBunkslobsterKundo
  • ShakShak Veteran

@Feferica, I certainly welcome any advise/ wisdom I can get when it comes to dog training, or life in general. My last two dogs were a German Shorthaired Pointer and Black Lab. Both were rescue dogs and both had their share of behavioral issues. I really want for
    My two sons to experience the joy of a well trained dog as a friend and companion. So far Anna is excelling at both! My older son is quite the dog trainer. He and his brother start with level 1 obedience next Sunday with a professional trainer.

• ShakShak Veteran

Here she is with her big girl hair cut...

TiggerlobsterKundo
  • ShakShak Veteran

@karasti said:
    Our dog thinks my meditation cushion is her dog bed. She won't touch an actual dog bed. Just my cushion and my son's giant bean bag. We have 2 ferrets, 2 lizards (gecko and chameleon) and a salt water fish tank.

The funny thing is my meditation cushion is a dog bed.

karasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shak said:
    @Feferica, I certainly welcome any advise/ wisdom I can get when it comes to dog training, or life in general. My last two dogs were a German Shorthaired Pointer and Black Lab. Both were rescue dogs and both had their share of behavioral issues. I really want for
    My two sons to experience the joy of a well trained dog as a friend and companion. So far Anna is excelling at both! My older son is quite the dog trainer. He and his brother start with level 1 obedience next Sunday with a professional trainer.

I would say (and I hesitate to offer "advice" because the last time I did - and I think it's fair for me to say - I might have pushed the point) that 'Training', is different to 'Behaviour'.
    Training, is the icing on the cake. Behaviour - IS the cake.
    One 'decorates' or embellishes and 'shows off' the other.
    If the cake sinks and has a soggy bottom (!), then although the icing will do much to conceal that, the cake is still "Sub-standard".

TRaining will show and I commend your sons for the work they're doing in developing a wonderful pet and companion.
    But should you get any concerns (and maybe even that is too strong a word) or curiosity about certain behavioural tendencies - feel absolutely free to drop me a line.

If you want to, and would kindly consider it as an open and utterly voluntary offer. :)

• ShakShak Veteran

@ Federica, I completely take your point on the difference between behavior and 'training". It is much easier to reward/compliment good behavior than it is to "train" a dog. Our other dog is a 10 year old 15' beagle and is the only other puppy we have had in the last 23 years. He is not the best "trained" dog, but is the most well behaved hound that you could come across. Our sons were quite young when we got him and we never put in enough time to "train" him, but he is still a very well behaved and well adjusted dog non the less. On the other hand he has his paws full "training" the pup!

• ShakShak Veteran

The last puppy I had before the beagle. Charlie in 1994. German Shorthair Pointer. The worst behaved house dog/ best trained/
    best friend I could ever ask for.

Tiggerlobstermosquito
  • ShakShak Veteran

l
    So I have the day off from work and I'm taking my girl Anna out for a Doggie Spa day.

KundoShoshin