Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Strange meditation experience this morning

Happy Saturday all! SO...I'm new to embracing Buddhism, and I am new to meditation. I've maybe completed 10 or so short sessions, each between 7 and 9 minutes. This morning, something very strange happened. I was trying to just "be with the darkness", meaning that I had my eyes closed and I was just focusing on that blackness. Off to the right a bit in this black field a hazy red point began to materialize. Before long, it had become a perfectly-formed red tear drop. It was incredibly vivid and distinct. After a second or two, it began to slowly rise up and then disappeared. This scared me a bit so I opened my eyes. I closed them again a few seconds later...and within about 10 seconds, this tear drop appeared in the same way, and floated up and disappeared. During this second time, I was in awe of it, and felt very happy and smiled.

Has anybody experienced anything similar?

It was freaky....

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2017

Yes, don't worry @Tony1853. It's absolutely normal. Those colours are called 'phosphenes'.

see this link for a comprehensive explanation.

Nothing to worry about.
    In fact, I find it very restful and conducive to my meditation....

Hozan
  • Has anybody experienced anything similar?
    It was freaky....

Freaky? Every sitting! :3
    There seems to be some freak meditating! Oh wait ... that is me ... :3

I would recommend feeling happy and content for 9 minutes and upping your meditation a further minute and spending the extra minute 'not-being'.

Good luck. Oh and hi <3
    http://www.freemeditation.com/meditation-basics/

• Also, in meditation - I think it's important to not become too attached to anything that arises, or to feed into too much aversion. Just let it be.

lobster