Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wild & Whacky Weather Bomb...

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited March 2017 in General Banter

Well a weather bomb has hit the north of the Nth island (including the tiny island where I live) it's been active over a week, it's working its way down the island and has left destruction in its part, properties flooded, driveways washed away, landslides galore small ones, big ones...And it ain't over just yet...

This is what's just happened to one house on the island, other properties are also in a bad shape... landslide wise...

This small slip happened on Tuesday not far from where I live, it's been cleared now...It looked as if a giant with a giant shovel had dug up a piece of soil along with vegetation growing on it and transplanted it across the road flax bushes and all...

And this (just a few metres along from that one) happened on Friday

I saw a property manager the other day (I do some work for her (ie, wasp nests) she told me 11 of the properties she looks after on the island were flooded...

Mother Nature is keeping her children on their toes, when it comes to maintaining the stormwater drains...

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Thx for sharing the pictures - looks like exciting (but scary) times on the island.

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Hope all is ok with you and that you and loved ones are safe. I trust and hope there have been no fatalities....?

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited March 2017

Thanks @silver & @federica...

I think the worst is over as far as the heavy rain goes, but the ground's still soggy so the slips may continue...Fortunately no fatalities to date...

My family's safe, however a friend lives on a hill not far from me, water started to seep into her downstairs area, there was a bit of a slide near her house and a wall of mud slid down and is resting by the wall of her house where the seeping water is...

Part of the down stair's carpet got wet and is starting to smell, luckily she's insured and somebody was meant to be coming over to assess the damage today...

When we have heavy non stop rain like this, I'm reminded of the Led Zeppelin song When the levee breaks

• Call for the Kogi . . .
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluna

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2017

"Weather bomb"? This phrase seems to have become rather fashionable. Why not just say "storm"? :p

And while we're at it, why say "issue" when you actually mean "problem"?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Another reminder to expect more of the same. More severe storms with more severe consequences in areas that have not been prone to them in the past even. In places prone to them, the severity and number of them will just continue to get worse while the people who have the power to inflict powerful changes continue to suggest it's not happening.

I'm glad no one has been killed. I hope they can do something for your friend's house before the damage gets too bad! Here, when too much water gets into basement areas, mold becomes a huge problem and the costs to deal with it are extensive.

Last week we had thunderstorms with pouring rain at a time of year that blizzards are much more common. We had the earliest tornadoes in our state ever south of us. Pouring rain when the ground is frozen 4 feet down and there is still a lot of snow doesn't go very well! We have had multiple incidents of pouring rain over the winter, something that never, ever used to happen.

@SpinyNorman said:
    "Weather bomb"? This phrase seems to have become rather fashionable. Why not just say "storm"? :p

And while we're at it, why say "issue" when you actually mean "problem"?

Why @SpinyNorman ??? Do you have an issue with this problem ? Or do you have a problem with this issue ? :wink::lol:

BunksTigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Actually, I can see what Spiny means....

'Issue' is a new-agey term. It was trendily coined or brought into use in order to 'soften' the harsh tone of 'problem'. It sounded accusatory and weighty, so "you have a big problem, buddy" was re-phrased as 'you have a big issue, buddy' which psychologically made it less burdensome, and more manageable. The word "situation" has also been brought into play, at times... "Er...Houston, we have a 'situation' here...."

Which in my opinion (and I'm agreeing with @SpinyNorman here) is basically politically-correct bunkum. Depending on the context, using "issue" or "Situation" in the place of 'problem' actually deflects responsibility, or dare I say it, blame.

In this case, the storm was to blame, and it's caused massive problems.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

This is going to be the "new normal" in some parts of the world, including parts of the US. Worsening drought in some regions, and overabundance of precipitation in others. It will be a challenge to design (and pay for) flood control measures.

Yes, @Dakini, I take your point...
    Winters in the UK have been variable in the last decade, with blizzard conditions in the first decade, floods to follow and now two relatively mild and trouble-free winters in succession.
    However, the transition between seasons has long been notable for its monotony... hard to know when one season has ended and the next, begun... the temperatures stayed - temperate and fluctuations sporadic. Spring went into summer, and descended into Autumn with no discernible high highs at all....

@SpinyNorman the term is over used on social media and sensationalist weather channels but actually has a scientific definition. It it short for bombogenesis aka cyclogenesis. It's heard more often because they are happening more frequently. The huge storm on the east coast of the US right now is expected to "bomb out" as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_cyclogenesis

Shoshin

They finally cleared the rubble but the tree at the top right hand side of the photo is right on the edge, hardly any earth below it, it won't take much for it to come crashing down...

Well the sun's back out, blue skies, back to normal ....What weather bomb ????

David

Here we go again...This time Cyclone Cook...(Debbie's cousin)

Flash floods, landslides, and more heavy rain forecast for the next day or two...and the strong winds are yet to come....I feel for those whose properties are already flood damaged...Oh well....it could be worse....

Video taken this afternoon at work...

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

So Debbie did NZ. That hussy sure gets around :awesome:

ShoshinBunkslobsterkarasti

Wish my name was Debbie... I'd show you 'hussy'....!

That's some downpour...!
    I'm going to have to ask.... what's the plant with the big leaves at the back...?

Kundo

Not sure @federica but they grow like crazy, it's some kind of subtropical plant...I'll ask a friend at work tomorrow, she's more the green finger type :)

Just caught this from my deck, the colours are amazing ... I was mesmerised by this sight.... as the mozzies feasted upon me...

lobster

According the to "Metservice" ...The worst is yet to come ....In fact the worst storm/cyclone since 1968...Cyclone Cook has already been through New Caledonia & Vanuatu leaving a trail of destruction in its wake....
    Time will tell...

@federica
    I asked a friend at work and she thinks it's a type of 'fruit salad plant' these are the seeds in an open pod

edited April 2017

Well Cyclone Cook is meant to touch down in the next quarter of an hour in the Bay of Plenty, at the moment there an eerie quiet come over the place, the wind has dropped and the rain has stopped ...Emergency services are on full alert, people have been evacuated from flood prone areas, most, if not all flights have been cancelled ...It's meant to be one mother of a cyclone....

Well it looks like Cyclone Cook has decided to give the Auckland area a miss phew, but other areas of the North island are not so fortunate ...

Stay safe @Shoshin! I'm glad the worst of it missed you. I hope everyone else has managed to stay safe.
    On the other end of the spectrum, our spring has been very very dry and we are in increasing wild fire danger. Until everything greens up, all the dead, dry leaves and grass from last year are extreme fire hazards. A simple thunderstorm, a cigarette thrown out the window can cause major fires. A few years ago a spark from a vehicle almost burned half the down town. I'm loving all the blue sky sunny days. But we need rain, soon.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Hope you get some rain soon @karasti We've fortunately been getting a little rain and snow lately with more on the way , it was looking so dry after the snow melted. We sure could use a quiet fire season after last year.

Good to hear you've been spared the worst of it @Shoshin Hope it's not too bad elsewhere.

@Shoshin said:
    @federica
    I asked a friend at work and she thinks it's a type of 'fruit salad plant' these are the seeds in an open pod

Got it. It's an Alocasia.

Thanks folks...It's all quiet on the Western front ... Good Friday's....Good :)

It's 'business as usual', things back to normal (whatever normal is meant to be )....

When it comes to what packages are in store for the changing of the seasons...no matter where we are in the world...we are at the whim of Mother Nature..... and she's full of surprises...

karastiDavid
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Our spring is still chilly, about 11 degrees with moderate changeable and sunny days. We've had a few days at 20 degrees, but only a couple, and instead a lot of moderate to chilly weather. Just a case of not forgetting to wear a coat :)

I'm glad things in NZ are working out ok with the hurricane though.

Thanks @Kerome ....

There was flooding and landslips to most parts of the Nth Island, however it would seem that the Bay of Plenty area copped most of it...

The days are cooling down here, still sunny but not as warm....around 20 C...

These seem to be the times of year when some parts of the Northern & Southern Hemisphere experiences similar temperatures...."Autumn & Spring" ....One leading to winter and the other summer....