Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christianity and space

emmakemmak Veteran
edited August 2005 in Faith & Religion
I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe that that Buddha did not discount that there was other life out in space. (Pleas correct me if I am wrong) What about Christians? Did anything come up in the bible? Or did Jesus mention anything?

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    A fundamentalist preacher told me once that there is an outer layer around earth where demons live. He said that man has no business going to space.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    emmak wrote:
    I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe that that Buddha did not discount that there was other life out in space. (Pleas correct me if I am wrong) What about Christians? Did anything come up in the bible? Or did Jesus mention anything?

Yes, indeed Buddhist scripture mentioned obout other lives out in space. We are not alone.
  • edited July 2005
    I don't see how we could be alone! Space is just so big that there is no way we are the only ones here. I just don't see how that is possible. I truly believe that we are not alone.
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I had a student once who told me that God was an alien, because in the bible it says that "God came from Teman". Her father was a preacher. On looking up that quote, i found this interesting site. http://www.bibleufo.com/index.htm
  • edited July 2005
    It just seems ignorant to think that in this infinately sized universe, we could be the only ones on this small planet in this enormous galaxy. Billions of lightyears away perhaps, several ETs discuss how they must be the only life in the universe.
  • edited July 2005
    How do you account for this then?

http://www.forum2.org/tal/books/rare.html
  • edited July 2005
    All that means is that there are a mix of certain improbable conditions needed for life to arise as we know it on earth. With all the billions of galaxies out there, I don't it is too far fetched to think that some other planet could have the same configuration, or a different configuration with a different form of life.

Life, esp intellegent life, may be improbable, but it happened here. Why not somewhere else as well?
  • NoiNoi
    edited July 2005
    Well, we don't have the technology now to be able to go beyond the realms of this galaxy. It takes about 100,000 light years to travel from one end of the Milky Way Galaxy to the other. Light travels at about 5,865,696,000,000 miles per year. Now multiply that times 100,000. At this point we are not able to attain the technology to that will allow us to travel faster than the speed of light. Who knows what kind of life is out there. There might be people out there like us, or with lower or higher intellect trying to obtain the same objective.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2005
    The Buddha taught that there are 10,000 myriads of universes (yes, I said universes), all crammed to the rafters with sentient beings. Lots of work for us bodhisattvas to do, so get cracking! :winkc:

Palzang
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    How do you account for this then?

http://www.forum2.org/tal/books/rare.html

Who says all life is like ours?

Why does anyone have to account anyway?

Why is it that all the alien sightings that have happened, when the victims describe what the alien looks like, the descriptions tend to be the same?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    What the suttas say about "other worlds and beings":

‘Venerable sir I have heard these words from the Blessed One himself and you acknowledged them. “Ananda, when the one aspiring enlightenment, disappeared from the gods of happiness, and descended into the mother’s womb, in the world of gods and men, Maras, Brahmas, recluses and brahmins there arose an immeasurable effulgence transcending the splendour of the gods. Even the dark uncovered recesses between the world systems where the resplendent moon and sun do not shine there arose an immeasurable effulgence transcending the splendour of the gods. Beings born there saw each other on account of that effulgence and knew that there were other beings born there. The ten thousandfold world system shivered and trembled on account of that immeasurable effulgence transcending the splendour of the gods” Venerable sir, this I bear as something wonderful and surprising of the Blessed One."
    ~Acchariyabbhutadhamma sutta

And also the Payasi sutta, which is about other worlds which may not be seen through the physical eye but yet may be seen with the Purified eye: http://www.buddhistinformation.com/payasi_sutta.htm

Whatever the truth of the matter is, the Buddha taught that these things were possible and did exist.
  • NoiNoi
    edited July 2005
    Many religious fundamentalists rejects science, and many scientists rejects religion (hope I'm not offending anyone). Buddhism is the balance in between.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    So far I've not notice any science theory which is in conflict with Buddhism.
    Or am I wrong? Anyone can advise?
  • edited August 2005
    kinlee wrote:
    So far I've not notice any science theory which is in conflict with Buddhism.
    Or am I wrong? Anyone can advise?

So far the only things I've seen in Buddhism that could be in conflict with science are reincarnation and clarvoyance (attained by those acheving Buddahood? Anyone have thoughts on this?). However I imagine these are impossible to prove scientifially, though some scientific thinkers tend to reject as useless speculation or worse things that are, by their very nature, immune to proof or disproof. This has been my stance for the last couple of years, though as always I'm questioning my own conclusions. I still have trouble with the idea of reincarnation . . .
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I am sure somebody will correct me, but I do not recall a link between Buddhism and clairvoyance. And did the Buddha not teach that one should not take his word for the truth, but to look and find out for one's self? Which is like science, a hypothesis, and then an experiment to check if the theory is correct.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Indeed so, Carlia. And it is in the nature of transient relaity that we shall all have a chance to test the doctrine of the bardos and rebirth!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    (YAY! I got something right. I do have a memory!)
  • edited August 2005
    emmak wrote:
    I am sure somebody will correct me, but I do not recall a link between Buddhism and clairvoyance.

It's something I read in this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1559391537/qid=1122912063/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0621319-1774462?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

The author said that those who reach enlighenment are supposed to have clarvoyant powers or something (course, they don't advertise it 'cause that would be prideful :winkc: ) And also, natually, she mentions it as a side-effect, not the point, of enlightenment anyway. I'm not too worried about it.
    And did the Buddha not teach that one should not take his word for the truth, but to look and find out for one's self? Which is like science, a hypothesis, and then an experiment to check if the theory is correct.

Course! This is why the bits that i have trouble believing don't turn me off Buddhism! :bigclap:
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    starstuff wrote:
    So far the only things I've seen in Buddhism that could be in conflict with science are reincarnation and clarvoyance (attained by those acheving Buddahood? Anyone have thoughts on this?). However I imagine these are impossible to prove scientifially, though some scientific thinkers tend to reject as useless speculation or worse things that are, by their very nature, immune to proof or disproof. This has been my stance for the last couple of years, though as always I'm questioning my own conclusions. I still have trouble with the idea of reincarnation . . .

Buddhahood is a state of Enlightenment where there is only ONENESS or WHOLENESS. Breaking through the boundary of time. Meaning there is no-notion of the past and future.
    Everything in ONENESS, including time (past and future) and distant (near and far).
    Anyone who achieve this state is able to go back or advance in time.

It has become an integral part of true Buddhist culture and value that they do not use miracle power to proof or disprove things. The reason being that demons/evil powers are able to cast spells or use their miracle powers. If Buddhist were to use this power, what difference will it make between the two? Only by presenting the Dharma, which is the truth, will be a superior move, because the Devil cannot copy. Even if they copied, it will be good.

As for reincarnation, I can understand that it is relatively hard for you about this idea. We are all brought up with different values and culture. But wordly wise, Karma (cause and effect) is the core value of Buddhism spanning through endless cycle of rebirths. There are now many claims/research of reincarnation in the states. A very common method used was hypnosis, bringing back past lives memory. Information about the places/countries/languagues/people etc were verified to be accurate. Interestingly, you should be able to find some from RELIABLE books and Internet. Try hypnosis for yourself maybe, just a suggestion.

Anyway, science has been just for the last 100 years only. Still, there are numerous things which have not been discovered by science. The greatest science of all, is the science of love and compassion.

So far theories in science and IT, blends well with Buddhism. But not every principles of Buddhism are YET proven by science at this time. We cannot say that it is not true because science did not prove it. Time will tell. :)

cheers,
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Rebirth is proven~ See the thread @ The Lotus Sutra I think... Clarvoyance is a side-effect, the Tathagatha himself said, and should not be used for fun, not even when winning converts.

The tantric practitioners of Buddhism are well-known for such powers, for they concentrate alot on the more-than-human things, and the tantras are full of clarvoyance. I wouldn't fancy to be one. Imagine some idiot saw you clone yourself (Yes! This can be done, the Buddha had given the steps to his followers once)... You are dead, people will be cornering you everywhere and scientists will be prepared to saw you up to see your gene structure and you will most probably be sued by George Bush and Gang. Such powers should be used only to HELP.

Clarvoyance hasn't been seen much for the last few hundred years. Perhaps enlightenment is starting to appear distant, or the tantrics are running away to live in the mountains. Either way, Science can't prove it;s false still.

Hundreds of years ago, there was no proof of rebirth. Now, there is. Maybe it'll be the same with clarvoyance .
    edited August 2005
    Clairvoyance (dibbacakkhu) as mentioned in the Pali Canon:

The Mahaasiihanaada Sutta describes ten special powers of the Buddha called tathaagatabala:

(1) He knows realistically a possibility as a possibility and an impossibility as an impossibility.

(2) He knows realistically the causally connected results of all actions whether they belong to the past, present, or future.

(3) He knows realistically the course of action leading to all states of existence.

(4) He knows realistically all worlds composed of various and diverse elements.

(5) He knows realistically the various spiritual propensities or dispositions of human beings.

(6) He knows realistically the maturity levels of the spiritual faculties of various human beings.

(7) He knows realistically the attainment of superconscious meditational levels such as jhaana, vimokkha, samaadhi, and samaapatti together with the defilements and purities associated with them and the means of rising from these states.

(8) He has retrocognitive powers extending up to several aeons with ability to recall details regarding past existences.

(9) He has clairvoyant powers with the ability to see beings dying and being reborn in high or low states according to their own kamma.

(10) He has attained knowledge of the complete destruction of all defilements in this very life.

In the Pancattaya Sutta the Buddha says:

"Bhikkhus, whoever recluses or brahmins make known the mental achievements in the spheres of seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touch, with determinations, I declare these achievements as destruction. Bhikkhus, I declare that these should not be achieved with determinations, but come to the end of determinations (Ye keci bhikkhave samanabrahmanà diññhasutamutavi¤¤àtabbassa sankhàramattena etassa àyatanassa upasampadaü pa¤¤àpenti, byasanaü hi etaü bhikkhave akkhàyati àyatanassa upasampadàya: na h' etaü bhikkhave, àyatanaü sasaõkhàrasamàpattipattabbaü akkhàyati sasaükhàràvasesàsamàpattipattabbaü etaü bhikkhave àyatanaü akhàyati). The achievements of heavenly, eye, ear, nose, taste and other forms of clairvoyance like going through space, the Blessed One says should not be attained before realizing extinction `nibbàana'. It leads to destruction, as it did to Venerable Devadatta. They should be attained after attaining extinction. Devadatta and some other co-associates of his became conceited about their attainments, and could not proceed any further."

~http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/2Majjhima-Nikaya/Majjhima3/102-pancattaya-e.htm

In the Ghata Sutta Sáriputta and Moggallána are staying at the Kalanda-kanivápa and, in the course of their conversation, it transpires that Moggallána, exercising clairvoyance and clairaudience, had seen and heard the Buddha, then dwelling in Jetavana. The subject of his talk was consummate energy (áraddhaviriya). Sáriputta declares that, in comparison with Moggallána, he himself is like a mound of gravel set up alongside the Himálaya. Moggallána returns the compliment by saying that, beside Sáriputta, he is like a pinch of salt set up alongside a large jar of salt, and recalls the high praise bestowed on Sáriputta by the Buddha himself. S.ii.275f

Hope these references help. :)
  • edited August 2005
    I'm assuming "nibbàana"="nirvana"? I'm starting to catch on to some of these words finally :)
    edited August 2005
    Yes. Used with reference to fire, nibbana means 'being out' or 'going out.' Used with reference to the mind, it refers to the final goal and to the goal's attainment. Nirvana 'un-bound' is the equivalent in Sanskrit. This essay is a very good study of the etymology of nibbana and how it was used by the Buddha. Feel free to read it if you are interested in learning more:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/likefire/index.html The Mind Like Fire Unbound An Image in the Early Buddhist Discourses by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    edited August 2005
    I think a knowledge of the physical and chemical properties of a flame would be interesting... Can anyone give us a link to a page where we can find out why the flame takes on such shapes, create chemical reactions and stuff?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Fire imagery is everywhere in both ancient and modern mythologies.

The Hebrew image for their take on dukkha: Man that is born of woman is born to trouble as the sparks fly upwards.

Hinduism uses the image of the spark (atman) of the Flame (Brahman).

I cannot find a single mythology that does not use fire images - and not surprising, really, when you consider that the discovery of how to kindle a flame at will is the single primary event of becoming human. Hence the Prometheus legend, for example, which has parallels in many cultures.
    edited August 2005
    The FIRE is one of the most queer things of mankind. Yet little discoveries have been made.

What gives the fire its heat? That can sustain and intensify by itself? It should not be explainable using the Atomic Theory, for the flame disappears when extinguished. Really, I'd be really really grateful the day the discovery is made.