Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Films I enjoyed during my Dharma Break

2»

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@lobster said:

@person said:
    Had a friend recommend Monkey King 2 on Netflix. It's a Chinese folklore kung fu fantasy epic. The visual effects are very good and a Buddhist monk and his quest are central to the story so there it has a Buddhisty message.

Are they called 'Journey to the West' and the second one 'Journey to the West, Revenge of the Demons'?

This is the trailer for the second one.

I enjoyed both. Outrageous but fun.

There was at least one TV series too ... It is all about bringing the Buddhist Pali Cannon to China

Journey to the West supposedly originates from a book. I saw the first movie Journey to the West, but the Monkey King 2 is a different movie. Though it is largely based on the story Journey to the West.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2017

Last night I watched "The Discovery" on Netflix...

Where they touched upon "Mind Stream" "Consciousness(Moment to moment)" "Meditation" "Karmic Impulses" "Impermanence (Change)" & "Rebirth"...

Well this is how it came across for me ...but then I'm a little weird anyway :) ...Quite an intriguing movie...

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Kung Fu Panda 1
    Kung Fu Panda 2
    Kung Fu Panda 3

Cute and great fun - but a bit frenetic in parts.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I watched 'As Good As It Gets' for the third time ...
    People will tell you it is their favourite film. Deservedly so. Funny, Heart warming, crazy humanity ...

HozanJeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2017

Here is something I enjoy every once in a while ...

The Man Who Planted Trees

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I've gone through a few modern wilderness films...

Into the Wild - documentary about the life of a middle class American boy who becomes homeless by choice and goes to live in Alaska
    The Wild - drama about a woman who decides to walk the Pacific Trail as a way of processing her choices in life, and making a new start
    Grizzly Man - documentary from Werner Herzog about the life of Timothy Treadwell, who lived for 13 years among grizzly bears before being killed by one

All pretty interesting movies.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2017

@karasti said:
    The Lego Batman movie was fun.

Saw this recently. Was pleasantly surprised. Tough guy psychology in toy format ...

Talking of toys, here is an award winning short :p

• I thought 'The Shack' might be interesting. Meeting the Holy Trinity. I lasted an hour. I don't think it is even suitable for Christians ... :p

Seen all the grizzly films mentioned. By far the best in sheer drama is The Revenant (2015)
    A level of realism and violence that was totally engrossing ...

Be warned. Mother bear is fierce.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I've been watching the BBC's Patagonia documentary with much pleasure yesterday, the narrator has a perfect voice for just softly talking about nature, the music is very appropriate and there are a few humans in there too. It's like a meditation on nature...

The second and third parts are shown today and tomorrow around 16.00 hours on BBC2.