Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Procrastination

edited April 2008 in Sanghas
Procrastination is the thief of time. So my Granny used to say, and if that is true it is probably not your friend.

BUT, if you work with your natural tendency to procrastinate, let it steal other things as well, it can actually work in your favour and help your practice.

Somebody got under my skin the other day but I was busy, so I put off getting angry about it or writing them a rude message. I thought 'When I have the time, I'll get good and mad about that', but in the meantime, there's an old lady across the road who isn't very well and might like a wee visit and a chat, my neighbour's mail to collect because she is away at the moment, an adopted horse to feed, dogs need walking, someone coming for a healing session on their knee .... and then the phone rang and it was one of my soul Friends from Glasgow who was upset because his partner had gone temporarily missing so I stopped to have a kind word with him and cheer him up a bit.

And all the time I had it in the back of my mind to get angry and cross and write a REALLY nasty message to this person. However, I had an appointment with my shrink so I had to drive to the town and I saw a blackbird singing its little heart out on a chimney pot.

By the time I had got home, walked the dogs, done some ironing and cooked something yummy for dinner I though "Now, where is that bloomin' anger I was going to get aruond to?" But it had gone!

In all that other stuff I had permanently mislaid it. And when I thought about it again, it wasn't really worth getting angry about anyway.

So - rejoice in your procrastination and let it steal your negatives!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    What brilliant advice! There have been times when I have willfully stopped myself from responding to people in certain ways because I knew my words would not be either skilful, or mindful. Highly inappropriate probably, in fact.
    I still haven't got it right, goodness only knows! - but it's worth 'sleeping on something' if only to permit the Calmer Side of Me to look at a problem or issue more dispassionately.....

Great thinking Knitwitch..... :D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Nanny used to tell us to count to ten before making an angry response. It has often taken me more like a hundred but it still good advice - particularly when on bulletin boards!

let it steal your negatives!
    Leaving aside the temptation to make photographic puns, I am reminded of the thief who learned to use his skill at theft to 'steal' liberation.