Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A technological evolution

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

I will find links to my sources upon request.

I think it's inevitable now that we are headed to a new technological world, one that will vastly minimize the Industrial Revoluton. I think it might mirror a Technological Stone Age.

Will technology become a new arm of nature and physics? Something subtly interwoven into existence as we know it? Is this unnatural because it's non organic, or natural simply because it is.

We are destroying our planet hopelessly. Is the solution found in abandoning our entire history for a new way of reality?

person

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

It is getting interesting.

We are likely to have more control over the nature of our being. More interfacing between quantum, connected and synapse based augmentation.

It is up to those who choose not to embrace such possibilitites to illustrate the benefits of being dinosaurs. That is currently us.

We will as a species I am sure eventually heal and live in harmony with our planet, engineering a strange new hybrid of natural and engineered beings. Fun times ahead.

For those of us interested in promoting an inevitable spiritualised evolution, the question of the form, nature and direction of the being worth becoming arises ...
    http://futurethinkers.org/artificial-intelligence-enlightened-deep-breath/

• ginabginab Veteran

Technological stone age is right.

I'm on hold with apple for over an hour cuz someone fraudulently using my e-mail.

Kannon
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Dreadful call centres... as if your time was totally not valuable.

I think the right thing to do is to largely opt out of the media world, which is filled with spin, and to do the best you can with the real world.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

My dad had his cc info stolen, someone bought a flight. Bank and he were right on top of it, sent him a new card. Person intercepted the card and had it sent to TX. So they also had his SS# and other personal information to be able to do so. My dad is extremely cautious and does not do much online. So the theft had to come from a major source - his filing of taxes or other government records, or his retirement or banking information. It always peeves me off that we don't find out about major breaches until months after they happened so people could do more to mitigate the damage on their end. On the plus side, in this case the damage was minimal but who knows how much information the person has so he had to put all sorts of special banking protections on his accounts and such. What a pain. (sorry to stray off topic, ginab's comment made me think of it)

There of course can and will be amazing benefits to some of the technology coming our way. Nano medical tech and so on. Sometimes I wonder if we're really doing anyone any favors in the long term big picture though. Of course as a person I would go to great lengths to save myself (at this point in life) or my children. But looking at the big picture saving more and more people and having us live longer and longer isn't really ideal for the planet, especially when we are refusing to do anything to solve the climate problems we contribute to.

The more technological we get the more distracted we get from what is inside us. So it is up to us who know better to continue to share that. Doing absolutely everything that can be done to reject or treat "discomfort" is an epidemic in society. Technology helps ensure this keeps going. To the point that now we don't even have to be chilly when we walk in the door because we can turn on our furnace with our phone. But the more entrenched that stuff becomes in our lives, the more it can and will be used against us as well. Our son is on an insulin pump that uses wireless communication and even that can be hacked and used against him to deliver a giant dose of insulin.

• HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran

I'll focus more on technology's role in society as we're in the midst of the always-on instant-access social-media digital-crisis of running out of phrases to add hyphens to.

It's a double-edged sword, technology leans toward making life easier until an entire generation began centered around it as a platform for which they live and continue to digitally experience life. Prime example of this would be concert goers with their phones out, either taking video or pictures to post on whatever social media to "share" their experience while missing out on actually experiencing the concert in question. I'd offer more evidence, but let me take a selfie real quick.

This brings up another social phobia made more relevant with the digital experiences - the fear of missing out. When given the option of either event A or event B, some people will go to event A but check their relevant social media accounts to see how the other people at event B are enjoying their time...thus missing out on both experiences because they're digitally on the fence of wanting to go to both.

I won't broach the subject of technology's role in globalization because a company willing to travel to the ends of the earth for their customers will realize they can pay someone in the small corner for pennies on the dollar and still provide the same basic service.

karasti
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It really is amazing what people miss because they are behind a screen recording the event just for the ego purpose of proving to friends that they were there. My husband is a photographer (as a hobby) and even there it's amazing how many people miss the experience of what they are photographing. Our ego desires are so incredibly strong. It's pretty amazing in a disturbing sort of way. It's like trying to put words to something you can't entirely explain. When you take the time to BE with the experience, even if you are just sitting on a rock, you find you lack the words to adequately explain what it was like. You can explain the rock and other sensations. But you can't really explain the sense of being. It's as if everyone on social media is so intent on explaining the rock while missing the entirety of having been sitting on it.

I had to take a huge step back a number of years ago and look at how the internet had infiltrated my life. This was before FB even, I was on a number of text-based BBSes and found myself constantly thinking of life in terms of sharing it with people online. "Oh! I better tell Tazzman about our snowstorm today" and so on. I lost touch with the reality of living, so it was really odd. My first impulse of any experience was to share it with strangers online. Not with my partner at the time, not with my sister or my parents, but people I didn't even know. I make a point to do things whenever I can and not bring a phone or camera. Some things I just want to experience and not share. I am often stuck with my phone because of my youngest son's health concerns (while he is at school for example I have to be reachable at any time). But when I can, it is incredibly freeing to go for a bike ride or a hike or run and not post pictures to FB along the way. To carry nothing but some water and just be free from the tethers of the world in that way. Highly recommend it.

lobster
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

I'm sure glad I flunked Show/Tell in kindergarten. My sister who thankfully avoided the virus told me last evening while dining out that most of the patrons where more involved with their cell phones than with their friends at the dinner table. Conformity is never a friend.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2017

:)

We communicate across time and space in a variety of ways. At the moment the evolution of our species is partly meme based.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Much of our change and transition is towards the requirements of survival. Enlightened AI will not be survival based. However that is some way off as people are concerned with minor technology such as augmented reality (coming soon) when that is unreality on top of the delusion of biological perception ...

Our present administrations are not up to the complexities of intelligent decision making. Nor are our present AI technolgies being developed to sell us an imagined future utopia.
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/05/ai-everywhere/

Dharma has a real Nirvana and it will accept the reality that emerges ...

More Buddhas. More solutions. AI Buddha.
    iz lobster plan :mrgreen:

Kannon
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

dharma and technology.what has helped me ,is b,be.there is still dharma in a changing state of phenomenon in our inner and outer world.the dharma abides,in any past,present,future reality.so we still do and be,do and be .the time and space we occupy in our do and be dharma,hopefully aware in our eyes we abide.but a high definition tv is eye candy to me,lol. reminds me of saying be smart with desire,a bodisatva appeal.still working on that one.maybe whole life.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2017

A technological evolution

...don't you just love it :)

Hozan