Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wesak/Vesak

HozanHozan Veteran
edited May 2017 in Buddhism Basics

Hi all,
I know there can be a variation in dates that wesak can be celebrated on depending on tradition in question.
Is 10th May (full moon in May) the date most buddhists are celebrating wesak?

Comments

• HozanHozan Veteran
    edited May 2017

Just curious which/if any Buddhist days people here observe or celebrate?
    Wesak, Magha Puja, Hanamatsuri, Bodhi Day are probably the most well known days.
    I find days a good reminder to practise and reiterate my refuge vows and precepts.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Mostly Vesak here, but it is more of a month-long thing with my Sangha. We do a potluck and get together for a movie/documentary or 2 during the month. My teacher requests that his students do various things to focus on their practice, such as staying vegetarian for the month. I thought I had read that it started May 2 (today) for our tradition but I have not seen my teacher mention anything of it is yet, which is odd. So we will see. He goes by the Tibetan calendar which I have not attempted to consolidate with mine.

It's funny, because I do extra practice things, but the schedule on which I do them is more in line with a Pagan practice :scream: I frequently take the 8 precepts during a full moon, for example. That isn't uncommon but my reason/sense about it has roots in my Pagan practices of years ago. I just strongly prefer being connected to the cycles of nature. So I use those times to amp up my Buddhist practice as well.

Hozan
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Happy Birthday Buddha!

I celebrate his birthday everyday :)

VastmindBunks
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

@Hozan. Yes the 10th of May in most Buddhist countries. While a serious day one can be light hearted about it.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I celebrate the invention of Neapolitan. :p

HozanKundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

Kundo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Gross. One does not mix flavors, and especially when it involves inserting chunks into a concoction that is otherwise smooth :lol: Nuts are even worse! My mom used to buy it when I was a kid, and I would eat the strip of chocolate and leave the gross stuff for everyone else ;) The best ice cream is a good chocolate, allowed to slightly melt so you can mix it up well like a nice, cold pudding (US pudding, not UK "all desserts are called pudding" pudding).

federica

@karasti said:
    Gross. One does not mix flavors..

Sacrilidge! The Dairy Lama will not be amused. :p

HozankarastiKundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

ShoshinJeroenBuddhadragonVastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Hozan said:

Wooowhooo strobe light Buddha disco discourse :awesome:

Vastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

May we all be safe and happy❤?

ShoshinHozanVastmindKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2017

I usually bath all my Buddhas, we have a nice family meal, and I do sand raking....and I make a couple paper lanterns to hang around the house.

-Bathing The Statue Of The Buddha Symbolizes Our Aspiration, Determination and Effort To Purify Our Body, Speech And Mind.

Buddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Buddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Buddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Buddhadragon
  • techietechie India Veteran

I think we should also have a 'Fake Buddha quotes' day. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thus have I heard:
    It might be fake, but it sure sounds good!

(Ananda. Allegedly.)

BuddhadragonKundo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Thus have I heard:
    It might all be fake, after all, because I'm not sure I got it...
    (Ananda apocriphal)?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

If a Neapolitan is 3 flavours of ice cream, does any cup or horn with 3 globes of different flavours qualify?

@Kerome said:

@SpinyNorman said:

If a Neapolitan is 3 flavours of ice cream, does any cup or horn with 3 globes of different flavours qualify?

I shall ask the Dairy Lama, as he is an expert on the Tantric Trinity of Neapolitan ( not sure he is working at Tescos today though ). :p