Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The animated film Kubo and the Two Strings

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I was wondering if anyone had seen this film and noted the buddhist themes inside... I bought the DVD on a whim and will watch it again, its beautifully made and animated, but very interesting. The whole thing seems to be set in a spiritual realm called the Far Lands, there is reference to the pure land, lots of Buddha statues and some interesting philosophy.

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Thanks for the heads-up - I've put a hold on it at the library and might be able to watch it next week.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix.

Hozan
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I watched this film and now I'm watching it again. I have never been a big fan of stop-motion animation, but neither the story nor the artwork in this are quite like anything I've seen before. A few more like this and I might become a fan after all.

I normally prefer hand-drawn animation (think Studio Ghibli ), in part because one can actually see how the effects and details were created and it is very educational for one who is interested in drawing. Stop-motion doesn't really give you that, but if the puppets are impressive enough it's still very interesting. Get a load of this enormous skeleton model -

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Yeah I thought it was very interesting, I watched some of the interviews about how some of the puppets were made, they went a long way into traditional weaving techniques, while some of the textures on for example the walls were printed on a normal ink jet printer and stuck on.

There is also a really impressive mix of physical and digital work in the film. The water in particular is very nicely done, while it is usually a tricky spot for stop-motion techniques.