Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insightful dharma talk video

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited May 2017 in General Banter

Hi All,

Today I watched a video containing an insightful dharma talk given by Joseph Goldstein, so just thought of sharing this insightful video with you all: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Hb70CYgwvpM
I was not able to understand the last part regarding non-clinging to attachment to consciousness, may be that is what Dogen refers to in Fukanzazengi where he taught that by practicing non-thinking, body and mind of themselves will fall away and then our True Nature (or who we really are) will shine forth - or may be I have not even understood what Dogen had taught in Fukanzazengi - How can we see the impermanence of consciousness? Anyways, towards the end of the above video, Joseph Goldstein refers to Buddha's teaching that - Nothing what so ever is to be clung to as I or mine - which seems to have the entire Dharma in it.

Shoshin

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2017

Hi All,

Today I heard another insightful dharma talk again by Joseph Goldstein at URL dharmaseed.org/talks/audio_player/96/40392.html

Thank you Joseph Goldstein for your teachings. Almost all teachers, which I have read/heard till now including Joseph Goldstein, seems to be simply excellent great teachers be it from Therevada Forest Tradition teachings from Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Brahm (By the way, I love Ajahn Brahm and if I reach Melbourne some day, I will try to see him in person some day at least once, so that at least once I would see him in person and not in you tube video), Ajahn Sumedho, Thanissaro Bhikku - and Zen teachers like Dogen (By the way, I love Dogen even more, but sadly I can't meet him), Norman Fischer, Judo and Taigu from treeleaf (hope I am spelling their names correctly, if not then please correct me) - and teachings on Dzogchen by Alan Wallace - and Atisha's 7 points of mind training - and Shantideva's Bodhisattva way of life and HHDL's teachings - thanks to all these great teachers for their teachings.

May all sentient beings be peaceful, happy, safe, protected, healthy and strong.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    May all sentient beings be peaceful, happy, safe, protected, healthy and strong.

Yeah!

misecmisc1
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

Thanks @lobster for the above video. I had watched it earlier too. This video had a very important question in the end - In our life, what is is that we desire most? - Few years back initially when I struck spirituality, then when I asked this question to myself, my answer was enlightenment. But then failure to even sit for 2 sec and focus on breathing, lead me to seek other ways through which I can get more merit, so I started to focus on kindness and compassion. Still I get angry usually, but I try to be kind whenever I remember to be kind like giving may be 1 Rs to a beggar when I find someone on the way where I am walking, trying to hold the door and see if someone is behind me at office, using handkerchief instead of tissue paper available at office restrooms and then putting on my wet handkerchief on my office desk for letting it dry (though it feels awkward as nobody else does it at my office), don't know if I am becoming a little more kind person than I initially was few years back. But it is ok.
    In my above post, just forget to thank 2 persons due to whom my spiritual journey seems to be continuing currently - first Krishna for his teachings in Shreemad Bhagwad Geeta and second to Buddha for his teachings in Pali Cannon. So thanks to Krishna and Buddha for their teachings.

@lobster: By the way, on watching your above video, a link came up for this video, https://youtube.com/watch?v=z3FA2kALScU which also seems insightful - just that we may map this video from materialistic goals to spiritual goals.

• NamadaNamada Veteran