Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fake Science

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

To say this article is terrifying is probably a candidate for 'Understatement of the Decade' Award....

http://fullmeasure.news/news/cover-story/fake-science

TiggerVastmind

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Interesting article & video clip...

Is it time to start focusing more on mind over matter "placebos" ???

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran
    edited May 2017

Terrifying, for sure!

I used to think my doctor was annoying because he would never prescribe me something unless I absolutely needed it and even then a minimal dose, making me have to go back again and again, if need be. I used to think it was because this way he could charge the government for my repeat visits. Maybe that's true or maybe he's on to something.

Geez, can't we believe anything anymore? I clicked on "insightful" because "run for your lives" wasn't an option.

Vastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The Neapolitan diet is more effective because it has less chocolate. :p

Hozan
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2017

Of course, this is very worrisome and dismaying. But corporate interests have been taking over many paths of influence over the generations. I remember seeing a documentary on how the auto, petroleum and highway industries influenced public opinion back in the 40's or 50s by staging a huge exhibit at a World's Fair, to demonstrate how cars were America's future and the path to modernity. Public transit was shown to be old-fashioned and backwards. Cities of the future would have networks of freeways whisking people from the suburbs to downtown for work and leisure.

This trifecta of interests then proceeded to buy up transit companies in major cities around the country, removing overhead electric-trolley lines and light rail tracks, replacing all that with gas-guzzling buses on limited schedules, to force people to buy cars. They eliminated Los Angeles' bus system altogether. They tore out light-rail commuter train tracks on the east side of San Francisco Bay, serving people who worked in SF. They were later sued in federal court for all the damage they'd done, but received only a slap on the wrist, and weren't required to replace any of the services they'd eliminated.

I don't know if such an outrage could have been perpetrated on the public in Europe. I have the impression the corporations have a stronger stranglehold on life in the US.

The university I attended in the Pacific Northwest had a leading School of Forestry. When my uncle got his degree there, they taught that clear-cutting was extremely damaging, and should be avoided at all costs, and taught techniques for culling some trees while leaving neighboring trees standing, so that the forest could easily regenerate.

By the 1980's, one of the big timber companies in the state had taken over the School of Forestry, "buying" it with huge donations. Suddenly, the curriculum changed radically, and clear-cutting was seen not only as ok, but a rationale was found to justify this as "healthy" for wildlife!

And it's become painfully clear in recent years the extent to which corporations have been striving to hoodwink the American public into believing that global warming/climate change is not caused by human activity.

Perhaps re-regulation, rather than de-regulation of industry, should be implemented, if it's not already too late to take back our government from these destructive interests.

TiggerJeroenFosdick
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

Truth be told, I don't know what to believe in anymore.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

• So, we haven't really got far past the barber surgeons of yore(k) have we........

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/theodoric-of-york/n8661?snl=1