Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I really, really hate it when....

2»

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@karasti said:
    My husband would probably like if I got an outfit like that :lol:

My husband would probably like if I got ANY outfit like those... preferably if they include a matching set of breasts??

KundoHozan
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@karasti said:

should I feel uncomfortable knowing @Hozan has seen my wardrobe? ???

HozankarastiBuddhadragon

Hang on, Pestilence? PESTILENCE??????

edited May 2017

@DhammaDragon said:

@karasti said:

My husband would probably like if I got ANY outfit like those... preferably if they include a matching set of breasts??

The breasts aren't my problem. I haven't had a waist like that since i was 22 ??

TMI?

Buddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@dhammachick said:

@karasti said:

should I feel uncomfortable knowing @Hozan has seen my wardrobe? ???

No don't feel uncomfortable. I just see 4 beautiful strong warriors. Not to be trifled with but with hearts of gold. But to even up the score I'll show you something from my wardrobe...

KundoBuddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

My wardrobe.....just lots of these

karastiKundoBuddhadragonWalker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh look, @SpinyNorman !! An English Gentleman!!

Walker

When I think of women warrior archetypes, Green Tara and Shakti come to mind...

I have always looked up on them as role models of balanced yin female resilience.

KundoHozankarasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm not the pheasant plucker
    I'm the pheasant plucker's mate,
    And I'm only plucking pheasant
    'cos the pheasant plucker's late....

KundoBunks
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I hate it when it rains for days. I don't know how people who live in rainy climates deal with it. I love a good storm, but days of fog, dreariness and drizzle I just cannot do. We are on day 5 (and about 12 our of the last 15 days) of this cold, dreary scheisse is more than I can handle. It's like being covered in a heavy, wet blanket. I have no motivation to move or do anything. I feel disgustingly heavy, sluggish, tired and often sore with my bad knee not enjoying the low pressure systems that come one after the other. I really need to move to a sunnier climate. though, summer will be better, this time of year is awful.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

We could switch, @karasti. How do you feel about southern California? B)

karasti

@silver lol, I guess it would depend, I'm not a big fan of crowds or traffic, which is why I live in the sticks where it gets -40 in the winter!

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Ooh! -40? Really? O.o

yeah, a few days a winter we get down into the -40s. -20s are common overnight from December through February. Not my favorite days. I like winter, but my ideal winter day is like +20 with sun, not -40, lol.

I hear ya! I grew up in northern PA, so we did have a few minus temps but it's been too long to remember how low it got. Um - how deep the snow there? Ha ha, I know, like I'm really thinkin' about it. (sort of) :3

edited May 2017

I think my ideal climate would actually be Colorado, unless someone wants to give me millions to move to a place like the Keys. I don't know if I can handle XMas without snow. I love having all 4 seasons, I just wish winter wasn't so long. We get 2.5 months of summer, 2 months of fall, 1.5 months of spring and 6 months of winter. CO is much more balanced. Perhaps when we aren't still raising children. Being around family is invaluable for us. No daycare costs, full and busy holidays without having to travel.

silver
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Hozan said:

@federica said:
    ...people begin their sentences with "So..."

"So I went to my daughter's house this weekend..."

"So I decided to do some shopping....."

"So my car wouldn't start this morning...."

In verbal and written English, the word “so” has multiple functions. It can act as an adverb (She had never been SO excited), a conjunction (He was still missing, SO I called the Police), a pronoun (If you need to get cash, do So while we're near the bank), an adjective (I like to have my things arranged just SO), or an interjection (SO! You finally finished your essay or SO, you decided to turn up at last, I see!) depending on the context.

It is not used correctly as a prefix to an ordinary paragraph, narrative or sentence!

I agree!!!!!!!!

I hate it when peop;l> @karasti said:

I think my ideal climate would actually be Colorado, unless someone wants to give me millions to move to a place like the Keys. I don't know if I can handle XMas without snow. I love having all 4 seasons, I just winter wasn't so long. We get 2.5 months of summer, 2 months of fall, 1.5 months of spring and 6 months of winter. CO is much more balanced. Perhaps when we aren't still raising children. Being around family is invaluable for us. No daycare costs, full and busy holidays without having to travel.

I spent a year in Colorado and it was beautiful weather......yes, the cold and snow were a bit of a shock to the system coming from Australia, but the summer was magnficent! It was basically 30C every day for 3 months! Not humid or windy either. Just a lovely dry heat.

My perfect lifestyle for weather would be Cairns or Townsville from April to October then Auckland for the remainder.

@Bunks said:

My perfect lifestyle for weather would be Cairns or Townsville from April to October then Auckland for the remainder.

Imagine how good your tipping results would be then :awesome:

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@karasti said:
    I think my ideal climate would actually be Colorado, unless someone wants to give me millions to move to a place like the Keys. I don't know if I can handle XMas without snow. I love having all 4 seasons, I just wish winter wasn't so long. We get 2.5 months of summer, 2 months of fall, 1.5 months of spring and 6 months of winter. CO is much more balanced. Perhaps when we aren't still raising children. Being around family is invaluable for us. No daycare costs, full and busy holidays without having to travel.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a bit shorter of a winter, though I do like having 4 distinct seasons. I think Edmonton winters are a bit milder than your's are, if it's anything like Winnipeg there. Fewer hours of daylight though.

@Walker Winnipeg is just a hair farther north than us. Where we are, there is this "finger" of weather pattern that dips down from the arctic, so we'll get blasts of cold sometime that are even -60, where Winnipeg usually does not. But generally speaking we are quite similar.
    It's always weird to me to visit places where they don't have the drastic swings in daylight. We get about 8 hours on winter solstice and 16 hours on summer solstice. But adding in the twilight time, our actual hours of dark in June are more like 4 hours. Going to a place like Florida in June where it gets dark at 8pm just is bizarre to me. Even now the sun is starting to rise at close to 4am here. Birds singing away.

hate it when my husband sighs and complains the whole time he makes dinner, yet says he never wants me to start it or help or whatever. He's in there complaining away, even though I offered to get some of it done earlier in the day. I swear he refuses help just so he can complain.

when people post that they need "affordable" or "reasonably priced" items on the swap pages I admin. OMG. Seriously. If you make $28,000 a year what you think is reasonable is very different than someone who makes $50k or $120k a year. If you have price ranges in mind, then say what they are. Major pet peeve.

Oh, and when your dog needs a $200 minor surgery and your car needs a $500 major repair the week before you leave for vacation. We're going to spend a lot of time doing stuff that doesn't cost much at this rate!

I have a lot of them this week because I have a million things on my to-do list that I can't do too much of, and knowing it is all looming stresses me out :lol: So everything else I have to deal with annoys me ;) I'm actually in a jolly good mood, despite my random little rants. We leave for Kauai in one week. We've never been, and are horribly excited. We will get to visit some Hindu and Buddhist temples while there.

BunksBuddhadragon

@federica said:
    Passive-Aggressive martyr complex.

Sounds like my mil (may her crappy soul r.i.p.) o:)

karastiBunksKundo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Look forward to hearing about your holiday @karasti

car repairs! ARGH!
    Last week, our dog had unexpected minor surgery. Then 2 days later, we found out our car needs a rear wheel bearing. They couldn't get the part until today because of the holiday weekend in the US. We have been without our car since Friday. Mechanic calls today, car needs another $400 worth of work done tomorrow. FFS. :scream: It's a good thing we all have bikes since we live several miles out of town :lol:

Bunks

It never rains..... Life is just one damn thing after another, ain't it?

I'm sorry you have that expense... hopefully, your mechanic is trustworthy... we hve a joke here that the first thing they teach apprentice mechanics at Engineering school is the sharp intake of breath through the front teeth, the worried shake of the head and the expert-sounding "It's gonna cost ya...." while wiping their greasy mits on an old cloth....

It may not apply to you, but I was once advised by a good buddy in the know that, if the mechanics 'claimed' to have had to repalce 'this, that and the other', you ask to see the old parts.

I did this once at a garage that had 'replaced' the starter motor, and they claimed they had thrown the old one away. So I took the bill and crossed off that part and labour, much to their astonishment.
    I told them, "If you didn't keep the part for me to see, then I'm not paying for the new one, particularly as you never called me to advise me it needed changing. You went ahead without my permission or know-how, so I'm refusing the charge."

"Well, in that case, we'll take the new one out again!" comes the threat.
    "And replace it with the old one?"
    "Yeah!"
    "But you just told me you threw it away!"

Silence.

I said nothing.

I ended up paying the amended bill. They didn't have a leg to stand on.

BY the way - they hadn't replaced the starter motor. MY then H., who HAD fitted it, confirmed it was the one he had put in when we purchased the car second-hand.... The dead give-away was the dab of nail-varnish in a place that would not have been visible to the rogue mechanic....

silverBunks

Indeed, we are pretty cautious. We know the mechanic well and he has always treated us fair. The car had symptoms of both problems. We thought we had resolved one by replacing brakes 2 weeks ago, but nope. I had hoped to drag out the surprise repair from today for a while, I knew it needed done but thought we had more time. Wheel bearing and ball joints both make plenty of noise, so assuming the noise is gone we'll know he did ok. Generally speaking though we do ask to see parts when they tell us something needs replacing that had no symptoms. My dad is excellent with mechanical stuff (he has built 2 airplanes and multiple vehicles) so we always check with him, too, but he happens to be in Vegas and cannot help out this time. On the plus side he saved us $400 by doing our brakes 2 weeks ago. Cars. Pfft. Our previous car we took to the dealer for the engine light, after $1200 and still no answers, we told them to stop working on it. That was 5 years ago. It's still going (a friend bought it). The light burned out :lol:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Modern cars have so many electronics and such a lot of software in them, it's no wonder the service light goes on the fritz sometimes. But yeah, scary amounts of expense...

• RefugeeRefugee San Francisco Explorer

There are two things that annoy me currently. The most onerous of these is when people smoke cigarettes on public sidewalks in certain neighborhoods of San Francisco. I can't walk for more than a hundred feet in any direction without having to hold my breath because someone is radially emitting a putrid gas cloud in all directions. I find that this is inconsiderate and rude.

The second thing is irritating yet forgivable. The person who lives directly below me seems to enjoy partaking in cannabis use, and not very long after I detect the characteristic fragrance of the herb, there then comes the powerful and delicious bouquet of a feast's preparation (go figure). This would be all well and good if it didn't happen at midnight when I'm about to get ready for bed. Smell is one of the few things that can bypass the reticular activating system. In other words, it wakes me up and makes me hungry.

Still, it's his home, so while I grumble, I acknowledge his right to do as he pleases.

edited June 2017

@Refugee: If you wake up, and you're hungry, try to determine something: Are you hungry simply because of the smell - or are you really hungry?

Is the hunger a 'habit' or a real signal?

The olfactory sense triggers a yearning, but it could just be playing on your instinct, rather than your true sensation.

If the hunger IS real - eat.

If the hunger is NOT real - enjoy the fragrance and let your imagination run wild, thinking of picnics, or your ideal kitchen, or banquet.... who would you invite? Where would you be?

Refugeelobster
    edited June 2017

It's almost certainly illusory sensation and not real hunger, though sometimes I'm unintentionally at a caloric deficit and in that case allow myself to eat something with protein and fat. I walk at least five miles a day and go to the gym for cardio five or six days a week, but I'm often not very hungry throughout the day. Despite this, I try to get most of my calories between eleven in the morning and eight in the evening.

It's a work in progress. I take an antidepressant at night that makes me ravenous whether I need food or not, and for that reason I don't keep too many snack foods on hand. Still, I do sometimes end up sabotaging my sleep by eating too much right before bed.

You know, I don't know if I've ever been to a proper picnic. Perhaps I should change that.

Do you have to take the antidepressant at night? Couldn't you schedule it for a more appropriate time? I'm not challenging you, just asking whether it's possible.....

Unfortunately I do. It's highly sedating (which normally counteracts the ravenous hunter side effect since I just fall asleep).

@Refugee said:
    There are two things that annoy me currently. The most onerous of these is when people smoke cigarettes on public sidewalks in certain neighborhoods of San Francisco. I can't walk for more than a hundred feet in any direction without having to hold my breath because someone is radially emitting a putrid gas cloud in all directions. I find that this is inconsiderate and rude.

As a reformed smoker who detests the smell of cigarette smoke............. where else can they smoke? Society is hellbent on treating them like lepers and continuosly diminishing their rights to pollute their lungs and kill themselves, it's our own fault.

Honestly, if there were still smoking areas in pubs, restaurants, parks etc, you wouldn't have people lighting up on the street. So what's the solution?

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Outlaw cigarettes, let 'em smoke pipes. Some pipe tobaccos smell pretty good, even to non smokers. Still hard on lungs, though. B)

We actually do in San Francisco still have quite a few places where smoking is allowed, though they are rapidly diminishing in number. I have thought about it from that perspective before you brought it up, though, and I do have sympathy, which is why I don't complain about it (except privately). The only long term solution is to continue investing in public initiatives that discourage people from ever starting smoking in the first place -- without making it taboo, since that always backfires. The numbers clearly show that these initiatives actually do work, but it takes time. Decades, usually.

Kundo

The disgusting fact is twofold:

One, people are kept addicted to cigarettes by other included components which are actually far more addictive than nicotine. Sugar, for one. The inclusion is deliberate. The 'hit' is sweet. The brain is satisfied.

Secondly - The Government(s) need the revenue. So while (in the UK) cigarette packets have all been rendered impersonal and all alike in appearance, together with being plastered with hideous, morbid and frankly distasteful images of people suffering the noxious and toxic effects of smoking - and verbal warnings to that effect - The National Purse would lie in tattered ruins without the revenue smoking brings in.

The Government warns people of the dire consequences of smoking.
    But they don't want you to stop....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The same with Alcohol :)

@federica said:.

Secondly - The Government(s) need the revenue. So while (in the UK) cigarette packets have all been rendered impersonal and all alike in appearance, together with being plastered with hideous, morbid and frankly distasteful images of people suffering the noxious and toxic effects of smoking - and verbal warnings to that effect - The National Purse would lie in tattered ruins without the revenue smoking brings in.

Same in Australia. Very graphic pics aimed at discouraging smoking. But it didn't stop me. My mother getting a pacemaker for a heart condition and never smoking a day in her life is what got me to quit cold turkey.

Hozan
    edited June 2017

More than hate it, I regret it as a terrible, devastating waste, when I come across people who seem so knowledgeable about Buddhism, yet they are total failures as human beings...
    What a waste indeed...

KundoHozan