Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comparing Archery to Buddhism

MingleMingle Veteran
edited May 2017 in Buddhism Basics

I have once again got back into archery but this time I'm taking it abit more seriously then just shooting an overpowered bow in my back garden. I have now joined a club and got myself a recurve that suits my build focusing more on actually getting good lol.

Anyway lately whilst shooting I have been noticing how Buddhism really complements archery. You really have to focus and be aware of your posture and technique. Itis also very easy to let your mind/ego get ahead of yourself. If you start losing confidence or getting too cocky your performance is likely to suffer because of it. Also your last arrow shot is almost the epitome of karma with each one fired leading into how well you fired the next meaning you kinda just have to let it go and focus on each shot as it comes. Be present to the moment so to speak.

The thing is the more you shoot the more appealing that perfect shot becomes. Suddenly you have to get it, you almost become addicted to getting it and in the attempt you make bad shots and also good shots trying to chase that goal. Almost like desire and the trials we go through trying to get it.

To me mr Archery really seems like the perfect metaphor for Buddhism.

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

To me mr Archery really seems like the perfect metaphor for Buddhism.

The Empty Mind...

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2017

There are even some tales and teachings concerning archery and arrows in Buddhism.....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited May 2017

Kyudo, also known as Japanese Zen archery, is a whole archer's martial art and way of life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyūdō

• DakiniDakini Veteran

I find that mindfulness training (which you're describing, OP) is very good for driving. Heaven knows it's important to be mindful when driving! I find that to be somewhat Zen, too.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, had cars been in existence at the time of the ripening and blossoming of Zen, the Ox would have been a Suzuki Alto....