Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Absurdism and meaning

Hello,
The responses from the last posts were extremely helpful, which I am so grateful for.
Thank you

I have another question.
I have been reading a lot into absurdism from Albert Camus, the idea that there is no inherent meaning in life, yet that is what humans yearn for. I have come around to this idea I believe, but I have said that before. For example, just 3 hours ago, I thought I believed in god. But after much thought and consideration, I finally have found peace in the freedom of this absurd state, as because there is no hope, we can live life to the fullest in each moment. I'd like to believe in this, as it seems to align with the Buddhist path, which of course is inherently reality. However, I would like to ask a few questions to make sure this belief is logical and aligns with Buddhist thought and reality.

1. Kierkegaard stated that a belief in anything beyond the Absurd requires an irrational but perhaps necessary religious acceptance in such an intangible and empirically unprovable thing (now commonly referred to as a "leap of faith") (Wiki absurdism article). Is an irrational belief in a higher power (just a belief, not a wanting for something from it) possible? Or is it contradictory to reality and truth?

2. Each night I say the same prayer to a god as a way to appreciate the chances, oppurtunities, and luck I have been given.
    Of there is no god to pray to, than who or what do I have to be appreciative to?

3. "The absurdist philosopher Albert Camus stated that individuals should embrace the absurd condition of human existence while also defiantly continuing to explore and search for meaning" (Wiki article) and later "For Camus, the beauty people encounter in life makes it worth living. People may create meaning in their own lives, which may not be the objective meaning of life (if there is one), but can still provide something to strive for"(Wiki absurdism article)
    Based on this, should we is it craving to defiantly strive towards an objective truth? Or should we be satisfied with our own personal meaning? It just feels like striving towards an objective truth is wanting to me.

Thank you

Here is a link to article

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Life is wayward and in itself full of paradoxes, contradictions and absurdities.
    And one of the biggest absurdities of them all, is man's need to create a god to shelter him from the absurdity this superior being supposedly created.
    A task at which this god fails miserably, by the way.

And the other biggest absurdity of them all, is man's need to search for a sole meaning to life outside the one he can carve out for himself.
    Life is what you make it.
    Co-exist with the absurd, don't squander time in fruitless ponderings, make the most of the here and now.
    Don't strive to explain.
    Just live ?

lobsterJackson792
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I'll admit that I might have preferred sitting on the Left Bank of the Seine pondering existentialism (and perhaps being surrounded by lovely brainy women), but the question that interests might remain unanswered: "If I'm so smart, how come I'm not happy?"

Mind you, I'm not saying that a bevvy of lovelies DO NOT have the important answers, but, well ... where are they exactly? :)

lobsterWalkerJackson792
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

After states of being very anti-religion, nihilistic, and existentialist, and then on the other side, very swayed by God figures to the point I was more worried about that than my practice, I have come to a happy medium. I read a lot about different philosophies and religions but I only truly connect with what inspires a visceral experience inside of me. That is how I felt about Hindusim. When reading on Jesus Christ I do not feel this way; that's just learning, broadening what I know. But Hinduism struck a chord with me, so I looked at it more closely. Does that make sense?

I am reading a used book I found about astrology, astral projection, ghosts, and psychic powers. I don't necessarily believe in that stuff, but it's fun to learn about.

Hinduism, on the other hand, I believe can compliment my entire way of being.

Twelve in one hand and a dozen in another. It just matters in selecting what matters to really explore by what you are drawn to... not out of a dramatic kind of sense, but something more sincere. At least, that is how I view it now for me personally.

Jackson792
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Tee Hee.

I enjoy absurdist movies such as 'Rubber'

I also feel these are effective mantras:

• "I'm so smart, I'm happy"
    • OM MANI PEME HUM HRIH
    • If you are happy and you know it, clap your hands

and for the nihilists 'I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts'

normal service is now resumed ...

Jackson792
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:

• If you are happy and you know it, clap your hands

That's better :winky:

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Reminded me of the imponderables in Buddhism:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acinteyya

A missing one from the Spiny Nikaya is whether the order of flavours in Neapolitan really matters. :p

• GuiGui Veteran

Having been in agreement with Camus' philosophy most of my adult life, I ponder from time to time if Buddhism is Absurd. Man's attempts to relate to, commune with, become one with the universe is Absurd because, after all, I am in here and the universe is out there. I think Man's creation of gods and nondeified objective truths is evidence of this point of view. Buddhism seems to avoid this situation by the concepts of non-dualism and anatta. But are these concepts just another futile attempt to give universal meaning to our lives?
    This is fun for me to think about but it doesn't really matter to me anymore. Something else I have learned from Buddhism allows me to say, "I don't know. Let it go".

Jackson792
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2017

In my experience 'out there and in here' becomes very much one integration ...

@Gui said:
    This is fun for me to think about but it doesn't really matter to me anymore. Something else I have learned from Buddhism allows me to say, "I don't know. Let it go".

B)

Gone, gone etc.
    http://www.interluderetreat.com/meditate/ppsutra.htm

• Jackson792Jackson792 USA New
    edited May 2017

Co-exist with the absurd, don't squander time in fruitless ponderings, make the most of the here and now.
    Don't strive to explain.
    Just live ?

@DhammaDragon
    Extremely comforting. Thank you

@genkaku
    Thank you. I find it comforting to accept this idea.

@eggsavior
    Taking what I need to feel comfort (like Hinduism for you), but enjoying learning about other ways people think. I appreciate this insight.

@lobster
    Will check out the movie, and I appreciate the mantras!

@SpinyNorman
    As a tyro to Buddhism, this discovery has been extremely valuable for me. Thank you!

@Gui
    I appreciate your commentary. "I don't know, let it go" really resonates with me. I will use this. Thank you

BuddhadragonHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Mod note:

@Jackson792 , I combined all your posts. So many are not necessary, when you can hail people with their forum name. All in one post is sufficient to alert them to your response.

;) No harm done....

Jackson792