Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where does meditation lead? Nowhere?

From another thread:

why do you meditate? do you think it is going somewhere?

Emptiness with benefits?
Somewhere without question?

Well why?
Here are some of my reasons ...
http://www.bodymindsoulspirit.com/100-benefits-of-meditation/

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Where does meditation lead?
    To here and now
    ??? ?

JeroenShoshinKittykatupekka
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

...Or Nowhere :winky:

Buddhadragonupekka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I certainly hope it leads somewhere, if it doesn't I will ask for my money back. :p

lobsterupekka
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It gives the mind somewhere to express its witterings and find peace, without the necessity of goal oriented thinking. At that point your whole being can breathe and expand. Isn't that enough?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

For Christmas, my mom gave me a daily calendar that has a question to ponder or answer. Today's is "what is the farthest you've traveled?" And when I read it, my first thought was "to the depths of my mind thanks to meditation." Lots of adventure to be had there! Lots of depths yet to travel. It's a bit like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and just as odd sounding some days.

Meditation has changed entirely who "I" am. My actions, interactions and reactions in the world are vastly different than 5 years ago.

Jeffreylobsterupekka
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2017

I think it leads to enlightenment. And from that point it leads to helping others. So you keep meditating to keep your mind/heart in good shape to help others. The latter is my explanation of why the Buddha meditated.

And we are talking about formal seated meditation but maybe it should include daily awareness and even some are interested in dream yoga for when they are aware in their sleep.

lobsterupekka
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Where does meditation lead? Nowhere?

Up the garden eightfold path :)

HozanDairyLamalobsterupekka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2017

Thanks everyone. ?

I particularly liked @Jeffrey answer of keeping the mind/heart in good shape and the process of change that @karasti attests to.

In our present mainstream culture, mindfulness is presently a big sell. In many ways the 'here and now' in formal sitting is the beginning of stretching our capacity from the yogic 'calming' type results.

Strangely enough following the eightfold path or being 'in the requirements of the moment' is a great reminder of The Way.

Gosh we may end up being zennies ... ?
    http://www.zenforuminternational.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=11840#p188374

or somewhere entirely unexpected ...
    https://qz.com/993465/theres-a-dark-side-to-meditation-that-no-one-talks-about/