Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is there any value in repetitive chanting?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited June 2017 in Buddhism Basics

@Tony1853 said:
Is there any value in repetitive chanting? I found a YouTube clip where the Vendana ("namo tassa...") is repeated 108 times. Ive used it a few times focusing on the spoken words...what do you guys think?

Yes there is value. Most certainly.

Some find chanting the easiest form of 'right concentration'. Formal chanting whilst engaged in extraneous focus elsewhere, is just going through the motions ...

Here is one of my pages on chanting.
http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/08/03

Personally prefer OM MANI PEME HUM HRIH at the moment. Just finished a meditation session with some chanting at the end ...

Others might attest to their personal usage as a valued resource/practice?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I have found chanting can be useful to develop concentration, but also to develop a particular quality of mind.

HozanBuddhadragonlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Is there any value in repetitive chanting?

Yes, it can drown out the constant monkey chatter :)

Buddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I have found chanting can be useful to develop concentration, but also to develop a particular quality of mind.

Have also had this same experience. Have found chanting most useful also. Sometimes if you chant for an extended time and then stop but continue the meditation - the resulting silence and stillness is profound

JeroenBuddhadragonlobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I find that sometimes returning to the breath doesnt always keep stray thoughts from capturing my attention. That's when I go to a purposeful mantra.

It's like my big gun.

HozanVastmindlobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@David said:
    I find that sometimes returning to the breath doesnt always keep stray thoughts from capturing my attention. That's when I go to a purposeful mantra.

It's like my big gun.

Sounds good. How about laying a couple of your favorites on us?
    I could use 'em. Thanks.

• HozanHozan Veteran

@David said:

@silver said:

@David said:

It's like my big gun.

Sounds good. How about laying a couple of your favorites on us?
    I could use 'em. Thanks.

They are usually specific to my frame of mind at the time and I don't use any time honoured mantras. Actually they may sound kind of silly but they usually do the job for me.

For example yesterday morning my mantra was "Even the leaves are Buddhas" but it could be anything. "All beings deserve peace" is another one. Anything that doesn't leave questions to be tossed about and that is easy to return to works fine for me.

Thats brilliant David. I really like those mantras you have created. How is life in Canada?

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

That is a GREAT idea, @David! (I was expecting traditional ones, but this is right up my alley.) :grin:

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I find that chanting mantras, plus the added rhythmical motion of counting mala beads for those of us who do, has an increasingly hypnotic effect that eases our passing into a meditative state.

An added bonus is the fact that the breathing gets automatically rhythmical too.
    I feel our body becomes a vessel to an energy that ripples on from beyond us to the universe and beyond.
    Hard to put into words...?

HozanDavidVastmind
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Life in Canada isn't bad. May be better once we get palm trees.

I have never counted the beads while chanting but I've always thought that I'll check it out one day. I'm hoping it isn't like counting sheep to fall asleep.

Hozanlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I too have used and been taught something simiar to this @David

Usually a single word, 'peace' or 'love'. I feel your poetic short phrases are potentially more skilful but must admit I tend to scripture phrases such as 'Cod is Greater' or 'Lord Jesus Christ have Mercy on me a sceener'.

The Buddha theming is also more appropriate here ... maybe ...

• Bodhi, Buddha, Bravo! (OOH-RAH - optional) :3
    • Sangha's are Go! (F.A.B.) o:)
    • We come in peace (Exterminate!)

... nope ... think @David's are much better <3

edited June 2017

Well, those are like profile mantras.

I have used "They are the Buddha, you are the Buddha, we are the Buddha, Boo Dah!"

lobster