Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Beautiful Bunnies

As we all know looking beautiful is a modern market, full time waste of right effort ... it may cost bunny lives ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/the-body-shop-forever-against-animal-testing_uk_592e82dde4b055a197ce47d3

My beauty routine consists of shampoo or 'all in one shower and shampoo' and a tiny roll on deodorant. Not worn make up for years. Am I still too vain? Obsessed with outer form?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

One of those things I do try to research well. I found a brand I like and can get locally. Rarely wear pitstick unless I am out and about in public and never wear makeup since our wedding 9 years ago! I hope more companies keep moving this direction. Actually, I only shower every other day most of the time, and only soap on a few areas that typically need it. Our skin has it's own living biome that is a major contributor to our immune system and soap kills most of it. Smart hygiene. Not excessive.

lobsterHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I shower about twice a week. I give the "sweaty" bits a rub down as needed. But I have never had any complaints as to anything suspect, offensive or aromatic. Neither has there ever been any intimation, hint or subtle behaviour. I'm quite alert to behaviour of that kind... the only exception I can think of, is my colleague said one day "oh, you've been eating garlic!" I had -
    during lunch that day, but firstly she said it wasn't unpleasant, powerful or offensive, and secondly, she confirmed about an hour later, that it had gone.
    Washing too often - as @karasti correctly points out - is actually more detrimental to our biological/microbial flora than being overly meticulous about our 'personal hygiene'....

lobsterHozan
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:> My beauty routine consists of shampoo or 'all in one shower and shampoo' and a tiny roll on deodorant.

Sheer luxury! :p

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I shower every day because it makes me feel fresh, but only soap the sweaty bits and nooks.
    The rest of the skin, only day in day out.
    I make up every day -blame the ballet classes brainwashing- and only use organic products, except for the eyeliner, which I prefer waterproof.
    I concoct my own body and face oils -again, all oils organic- and lather my face with shea butter and coconut oil at night.
    I wrap myself in a bathrobe for some minutes and tap my face with tissue to absorb excess grease.
    No sweet bunny gets sacrificed in my beauty routine.??

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

No amount of make up could save me. Im beyond redemption

Buddhadragonyagr
  • I shower most days due to the nature of my job (when you've spent most of the day rummaging around in other peoples gastrointestinal tracts a shower is a must). I use Simple products for washing and have been using the same basic antiperspirant for 35 years.

If I'm not working then a nice wash and letting my body breath does the job, only natural fibres.

The only concession is I do like a nice smelly. I buy Dior so a little goes a long way, I have three which I rotate and I've probably only used 10% of each over three years.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I will momentarily put my better judgment aside and insert a plug for good, old fashioned baking soda as an underarm deodorant. It is considerably more effective, cheaper, and lasts longer - than any other product I have encountered.

It does have one drawback, which I'm sure everyone is eager to hear about, in that during hot weather, when one begins to sweat like a horse, it gets pushed through the shirt to produce a circular white crust around the armpit area. A small price to pay, surely.