Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Misbehaving Myanmar monks in the news again

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nationalist-buddhist-group-gathers-in-myanmar-despite-ban/

“We just wanted to save our people, but maybe many people just want to die like dogs and pigs in the hands of the enemy,” the monk said.
“Even if we are banned, that doesn’t mean we will disappear,” the monk said Saturday. “We will continue to do what we can to protect our race and religion.”

Lots of clinging in that last statement. Just a reminder that while we tend to hold Buddhism to superior standards,the people who attach the label to them are still humans with great human flaws. We talk a lot about what Christians do wrong, but we best not ignore those under our own umbrella.

Todd0248KundoZenshin

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Glad you posted this.

I would challenge these monks to point to what in the Tripitaka supports their aggressive behaviors. I'm not saying that monks shouldn't have any political involvement, but there is a line that seems well crossed over in this case.

lobsterZenshinkarasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well hello @vinlyn, how absolutely wonderful to see you back!

karasti

Thank you Federica! I started going to the local Thai Buddhist temple recently, and it has refreshed me and my interest in Buddhism. I had gotten very lazy.

karasti
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

Each time I was in Sri Lanka the Tamil Tigers were very much making their presence known. Bombings,killings etc. Some of the Sangha were militating for drastic measures in the north of SL. I myself barely escaped a bombing in the central market of Colombo. But stayed to help with the wounded.
    Harsh political realities change perceptions even in Buddhist nations. I'm sure the face of a more militant Sangha is just the beginning.

Zenshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2017

We are all in Samsara and Dukkha happens (to Buddhists practitioners and non Buddhist practitioners alike)...and every now and again one might stray from the path ie, cause (ignorance) condition (desire for things to be different) effect...That's Dukkha for ya....

BuddhadragonHozanZenshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Welcome back, @vinlyn <3
    We have missed you!

Thank you DhammaDragon!

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Yeah, just about the time you think certain regulars are never gonna show up again - there they are! Nice to have you back on scene again, @vinlyn.

VastmindBuddhadragon

Thank you, Silver.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2017

Thankfully a Buddhist terrorist is only acting out of fear and attachment to the dharma and are not able to condone their actions through any suttas.

The Hotel Newbuddhist... You can check out any time you like but you may not ever leave.

federicaBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Anyone can call themselves, Buddhist, Christian or Muslim

https://www.upworthy.com/a-troll-demanded-a-muslim-man-show-examples-of-christian-terrorists-he-delivered

Some think our religions need protecting. Nah!