Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trump

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited June 2017

@Dakini said:

@vinlyn said:
    Trump presents we Buddhists with a conundrum. Many of us are appalled with his policies and behaviors. Yet, to me, it seems "un-Buddhist" to attack a person, particularly on a Buddhist website (although I certainly understand the temptation). There are plenty of website forums (such as City-Data) where there are relatively unrestrained political sub-forums. I even use my own Facebook page. What does not seem "un-Buddhist" to me is attacking policies.

Vin, weren't you a school principal? Tsk, tsk. "Trump presents us Buddhists with..."

But you're right that traditionally, Buddhists aren't supposed to engage in politics. But even in this era of "engaged Buddhism", one could say that participating in a conversation attacking a political figure could be considered "wrong speech", "idle chatter" and the like.

Ack! You caught me. I meant to speak about small Buddhists, so it should have been "wee". ?

The "wrong speech", particularly on a Buddhist website, was what kind of grated on me, although I share the concerns of so many on the topic of Donald Trump. I'm still guilty on the "wrong speech" aspect, but I try to reserve it to political websites.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@vinlyn said:

@Dakini said:

@vinlyn said:
    Trump presents we Buddhists with a conundrum. Many of us are appalled with his policies and behaviors. Yet, to me, it seems "un-Buddhist" to attack a person, particularly on a Buddhist website (although I certainly understand the temptation). There are plenty of website forums (such as City-Data) where there are relatively unrestrained political sub-forums. I even use my own Facebook page. What does not seem "un-Buddhist" to me is attacking policies.

Vin, weren't you a school principal? Tsk, tsk. "Trump presents us Buddhists with..."

But you're right that traditionally, Buddhists aren't supposed to engage in politics. But even in this era of "engaged Buddhism", one could say that participating in a conversation attacking a political figure could be considered "wrong speech", "idle chatter" and the like.

Ack! You caught me. I meant to speak about small Buddhists, so it should have been "wee". ?

The "wrong speech", particularly on a Buddhist website, was what kind of grated on me, although I share the concerns of so many on the topic of Donald Trump. I'm still guilty on the "wrong speech" aspect, but I try to reserve it to political websites.

Lesson happily learned by me. Appreciate it @vinlyn

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Becoming angry, becoming annoyed, being amused, being sadden, being indifferent etc etc...
    However one chooses to react, it's all entwined within one's Dharma practice...It's all Dharma, there's no escaping it...

Hozan
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2017

I was going to chime in on the Paris withdrawal and I think @yagr and @vinlyn already echoed my sentiment.

Nothing in the Paris agreement was required or enforceable so I think withdrawing hurts the US standing more than it will hurt the climate. Without the US other countries will step up to lead the way even more as well as individual states and US corporations, even Walmart and Exxon-Mobile are taking steps.

The moral argument for the welfare of humanity on this planet is a strong reason to control carbon emissions. But the economics of clean energy is what will really drive the level of change needed and the reduction of prices there continues to move quickly forward.

Many sources of political media spin things to get their readers riled up probably because angry people tend to be motivated people, motivated to take action on whatever that media cares about.

vinlyn
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2017

@Dakini said:

@Hozan said:
    No more Trump comments from me. Its not constructive and achieves nothing other than to make me more annoyed at him.
    So its a Trump radio silence from me.

You can't withdraw from your own thread. You're stuck with it. ;)

Actually he can. Anyone can. I do receive requests by OPs to dispose of threads now and then.
    Not suggesting or even hinting it should be done in this case. Just pointing it out.
    Incidentally, I act as appropriate, not 'on a whim'.
    I consider different factors....

• HozanHozan Veteran

• HozanHozan Veteran

I would like to end my contribution to this Trump thread I have started on a positive note. It has been cathartic in ways but I have learned much from others comments and I have learned how much farther I need to travel on my buddhist path.
    I thank you , all who have contributed and I leave this thread.

vinlyn
  • HozanHozan Veteran

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2017

Having insulted the Mayor of London after the recent terror attack, the Farting Trumpet is now worried that he won't be welcome in the UK. What a dick. Mrs. Maybot said his visit won't be cancelled, but hopefully she will do a U-turn on that as well, her circuitry has been misfiring a lot recently. I reckon Doctor Evil is behind it all.

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

@Hozan said:
    Im not sitting on the fence here. I utterly reject trump and what he stands for. Today he pulled the US out of the Paris agreement on climate change. He is a petty, vindictive, small minded man and one man shouldnt have the power to influence the fate of the global population.
    I have no doubt America is a great nation but it is being led by a........(insert word of choice).

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back. ;)

I'm with you there.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@Hozan said:
    I would like to end my contribution to this Trump thread I have started on a positive note. It has been cathartic in ways but I have learned much from others comments and I have learned how much farther I need to travel on my buddhist path.
    I thank you , all who have contributed and I leave this thread.

@karasti I agree with you. I came to this realisation too. And as promised I have no further Trump news to add.
    Much metta
    Hozan
    P..S I hope you had a lovely vacation and welcome back. :)

Shoshinlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

?

Dear Friends of the Buddha,

Outstanding post from @karasti
    Don't worry about the small handed :3 stuff ... it is all small stuff apart from:

• metta
    • kindness
    • good will
    • friendliness
    • peace

Usual stuff ... We iz plan!

Hozan
  • An interesting article

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

There is no Donald Trump.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@JaySon said:

I think he might disagree with you there.... Humbly, of course.... :D

JaySonHozanyagrlobster

@federica said:

@JaySon said:

My reply will be...okay, where is Donald Trump? Is Donald Trump your leg? Your thoughts? Your beliefs? As you can see, Donald Trump, Donald Trump is merely a figment of your imagination.

Oh yeah? Point to Donald Trump. Booyah.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@JaySon said:

Donald Trump is an angry twitter-bot who happens to have been elected president.

Hozan
  • https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-sanctions/trump-administration-holds-off-on-new-russia-sanctions-despite-law-idUSKBN1FI2V7

Troublesome times. A law passed 6 months ago is now ignored by Trump. Democracy is being chipped away at by Trump in the US. An Authoritarian in the making?? Next step fire Mueller?? Worrying times for the US and the world.

• Is Trump like Senator Palpatine aka Darth Sidious aka The Emperor?

• @JaySon said:

@federica said:

@JaySon said:

My reply will be...okay, where is Donald Trump? Is Donald Trump your leg? Your thoughts? Your beliefs? As you can see, Donald Trump, Donald Trump is merely a figment of your imagination.

Unfortunately there is a Donald Trump and even more unfortunately the damage he is doing is very real.

@Socair said:

@JaySon said:

@federica said:

@JaySon said:

Unfortunately there is a Donald Trump and even more unfortunately the damage he is doing is very real.

So tell your mom to stop it.

Hozan
  • @JaySon said:

@Socair said:

@JaySon said:

@federica said:

@JaySon said:

So tell your mom to stop it.

Ok. She said she would do her best to stop it. Thank you. Sound advice.

JaySon

Sometimes a virus kills us and sometimes it strengthens our immune system. Will Trump kill us or strengthen us?

yagr

That depends on our own inherent resistance to the virus.

edited January 2018

@federica said:
    That depends on our own inherent resistance to the virus.

I agree, it depends. Are you familiar with the term antifragility? It's the idea that some systems get stronger via stressors and weaker when they are protected from them, such as the immune or skeletal system, or evolution. I guess I think democracy maybe like that too. So Trump's attacks on the media and laws would actually cause those systems to respond and strengthen. It could be that he kills them though, so it is an open question to me. So it is worrying but in the long run it could make us stronger for it.

Good?... Bad?... Who knows?
    ~Ajahn Brahm

• HozanHozan Veteran

Is the nightmare over yet? Or close to being over? Anybody here Stateside who is following it closely? Is Muellers endgame close? Will Trump be ousted ? Will Trump see jailtime?
    I see in media today the word "trump" and "nobel peace prize" in the same sentence?????
    Where do we go from here? The global damage to democracy is already immense. Trump is a criminal, pure and simple. He is a liar many times over. More besides. All of these so called "checks and balances" and he is still lying his way through his presidency. Please somebody Stateside give us hope and say his time is nearly up. He will see justice?

• HozanHozan Veteran

What is cause also for much worry and pessimism are his loyal base who stand behind him no matter what. No matter how many lies, corruptions, statements of racism or homophobia - his loyal base stand by their leader. For the benefit of the US and the world , Trump, Pence and the whole White House staff need to be swept out of office. Whether that is through impeachment/legal grounds or just voted out in 2020 - it needs to happen ASAP to limit any further damage.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2018

On a related note, Michelle Wolf's appearance at the White House Correspondent's dinner. I thought it was savage but hilarious and accurate. Pretty much everything she said about Trump, his staff, and the media were true.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@person said:
    Sometimes a virus kills us and sometimes it strengthens our immune system. Will Trump kill us or strengthen us?

?

Meanwhile in UK ...
    ... Someone in their own party (general secretary of UKIP) described their electoral annihilation (yesterday council elections) as 'like the black death'.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/04/black-death-ukip-almost-wiped-out-in-english-local-elections

... and now back to more serious mettas ...

edited May 2018

@lobster said:

@person said:

?

Meanwhile in UK ...
    ... Someone in their own party (general secretary of UKIP) described their electoral annihilation (yesterday council elections) as 'like the black death'.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/04/black-death-ukip-almost-wiped-out-in-english-local-elections

... and now back to more serious mettas ...

I don''t mean in the sense that Trump is going to good things, I mean in the sense that, like a virus, his presence causes citizens to mobilize and actually cause change. For example the recent push for gun control has us closer to actually making progress than during the whole Obama presidency when enough people were complacent leaving up to Obama to fix the problem. Also, in response to Trump there is an expected Democratic advantage of several points in the upcoming congressional elections such that they will likely take back the house and possibly the Senate.

One day his horse runs away. And his neighbor comes over and says, to commiserate, “I’m so sorry about your horse.” And the farmer says “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?” The neighbor is confused because this is clearly terrible. The horse is the most valuable thing he owns.

But the horse comes back the next day and he brings with him 12 feral horses. The neighbor comes back over to celebrate, “Congratulations on your great fortune!” And the farmer replies again: “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?”

And the next day the farmer’s son is taming one of the wild horses and he’s thrown and breaks his leg. The neighbor comes back over, “I’m so sorry about your son.” The farmer repeats: “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?”

Sure enough, the next day the army comes through their village and is conscripting able-bodied young men to go and fight in war, but the son is spared because of his broken leg.

And this story can go on and on like that. Good. Bad. Who knows?

But what’s the point?

Well, the meaning of that story is that the Western paradigm in which we label experiences good or bad — is wrong. It’s a false dichotomy. At the very least, this distinction between good and bad is not so clear; it’s blurry.

https://medium.com/@davidgallan/who-knows-what-s-good-or-bad-my-tedx-talk-transcript-8404344779ce

It's about keeping a broad, long term perspective. Not about supporting Trump.

lobsterHozan
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

• HozanHozan Veteran

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-trump/trump-back-in-step-with-nra-after-doubts-over-parkland-shooting-idUSKBN1I50ZR

Sadly I'm not sure the US is any closer to tighter gun control than it ever was. I understand your "what is good and what is bad" being a false dichotomy example but sometimes a you have to call a spade a spade. Personally I am going to say Trump is bad. Very bad for America and the world. The damage he is doing is very real and will take a long time to reverse. His attitude to climate change and the environment may cause irreversible changes . We were already playing catch up with climate change reversal. I am not going to afford trump the "what is good, what is bad" example as he needs to be called out for what he is.

@Socair said:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-trump/trump-back-in-step-with-nra-after-doubts-over-parkland-shooting-idUSKBN1I50ZR

Sadly I'm not sure the US is any closer to tighter gun control than it ever was. I understand your "what is good and what is bad" being a false dichotomy example but sometimes a you have to call a spade a spade. Personally I am going to say Trump is bad. Very bad for America and the world. The damage he is doing is very real and will take a long time to reverse. His attitude to climate change and the environment may cause irreversible changes . We were already playing catch up with climate change reversal. I am not going to afford trump the "what is good, what is bad" example as he needs to be called out for what he is.

From where I stand your point is good. In the analogy of a virus to the body, that requires the body (citizens) to recognize the harmful invader and react to protect the body. In doing that though the system is now stronger and more resilient to other similar harms.

Maybe my point isn't so much about the world out there, but more about our own psychological perspective on how we view it and I'm just not expressing that well enough.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@person you are making an excellent point and are expressing yourself very well indeed.
    ??????

person
  • TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

Would someone please delete this post? I don't need to see that name on a Buddhist forum. There must be somewhere to go to escape him, and the disgrace he represents for America.

Sorry i meant thread not post.

@Tsultrim said:
    Would someone please delete this post? I don't need to see that name on a Buddhist forum. There must be somewhere to go to escape him, and the disgrace he represents for America.

I get that politics really pushes people's buttons in a major way. So with as much kindness as I can muster.

“Where would I find enough leather
    To cover the entire surface of the earth?
    But with leather soles beneath my feet,
    It’s as if the whole world has been covered.”
    ~Shantideva

Buddhadragon

Thank you @ person for the kind intro. I'm not trying to get rid of all the shoes in the world, just one heel.

personlobsterfederica

@Tsultrim said:

@Tsultrim said:
    Sorry i meant thread not post.

I take your point.... but if you're serious, we can't accept requests to delete threads made by other members. However much I would dearly love to comply!

Sometimes when we have an itch, it's wiser to let it be without scratching...
    The more you scratch it, the worse it gets.
    I think this Trump thread is one that would be best left alone and ignored... I am actually unclear as to why @Socair thought it wise to 'revive it'.... :confused:

Then again, if anyone on forum is actually obliged to view it, that would be a Moderator... everyone else has the choice to steer clear....

I don't follow the thread. I just got tired of seeing Trump on the list of topics. He's always in the news in the U.S. which is precisely what he wants, to be the center of attention at any cost.
    It appears I transgressed forum policy. It wasn't a virulent post, more like enough already. I ' m still learning the ropes, sorry @federica. I thought your semi admonition was well balanced.

You didn't transgress forum policy at all, and there was no intention to admonish. I have however, 'sunk' the thread. There is such a thing as 'too much information'...! :D

lobster
  • HozanHozan Veteran

I suppose I revived the thread as Trump presents a real and present danger to us all and life on Earth. Another point is that forgetting about him won't solve the problem. If we "sink" Trump to our awareness in real life because of the disgrace he has caused ( as you have mentioned @Tsultrim ) we bury our heads in the sand. I actually think Trump relies on constant scandals to make people weary of his constant negative presence which is a frightening tactic. We are over saturated with negative Trump news indeed but he is relying on that. It wont go away if we sink the thread or turn the other way.
    Not complaining in the least @federica but just curious as to what "sinking the thread" means.?

• HozanHozan Veteran

No need to answer @federica . I understand now. Sinking means new comments don't bring the thread to the top so it eventually just sinks its way out of contention entirely. As the name sinking suggests! Doh! My wish would be that Trump may sink in a similar fashion!

• HozanHozan Veteran
    edited May 2018

@Tsultrim said:

@Tsultrim

Surely buddhist forums must not exclude issues that are difficult. Ignoring difficult issues isn't a solution to those issues.

lobsterpersonBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Socair it is a question of skilful.

Pot-ass DJ Rump to give her full title, is the embodiment of a king Troll. Your point about difficult issues is taken:

Look forward to threads on:

• The decline of USA into a clown state
    • Is wrathful in Tantra different to rashful? ?
    • Is being Chinese the new privilege?

etc. o:)

personBuddhadragon
This discussion has been closed.