Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

London Bridge Incident ..Stay Safe Londoners...

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Just watching Al Jazeera news an incident on London Bridge....Stay safe Londoners ....

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/van-rams-pedestrians-london-bridge-170603214507949.html

<3 Metta

Bunks

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

?‍♀️ not again ?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yup.
    We had a really high Armed Police presence in our town over the Bank Holiday weekend.
    Needless to say, all was quiet on the West Midlands front....
    Just goes to show though, you can't be in all places at all times, and you never know when or at what time of day things will happen....

That's the whole point.
    Element of surprise.
    Nobody expects the unexpected.
    Seems nobody expects the expected, either. :(

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

May you folks be well...

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

It looks like our tea in Harrods will not be taking place any time soon, @federica ...
    ???

• HozanHozan Veteran

@federica and @lobster. You are right! There is so much more beauty out there in the world. Communities coming together at times like this shows up these people who commit these acts for what they really are. We shall not live in fear or intimidation in our daily lives.
    @lobster thanks as always for your photos and connection to wildlife and the natural world. A connection with nature brings peace and a reminder to our species Homo sapiens, how it is possible to live in balance and harmony.

Peace, Strength and Love to all.
    Manchester is Strong.
    London is Strong.
    Together We are Strong.

Nirvana
  • HozanHozan Veteran

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2017

It has been somewhat surreal in the UK recently, we've had BREXIT, a sudden general election and also these incidents of terrorism by Islamist nutjobs.

Never mind, there is always a nice cup of tea. :p

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I am currently immersed in what I think are known as "1st-World Problems". The Lawn needs cutting, and I have to get a bigger jar to make my dill-pickled gherkins.
    In the meantime, I have taken possession of a food mixer kept for me by a Charity shop, which I haggled down from £20 to £15. It came without its supposedly included special spatula.

Naturally, I am quietly seething at the omission. But I got my money's worth.
    I mean, fancy not supplying the spatula!

Yup.
    In this day and age, humour is unquestionably of the essence.

Kundoyagrsilver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Life goes on...with or without the ego....

I just thought this Dharma Talk would be helpful to some....

"Transcending Fear" (Taking a break from the ego )

~Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche~

Metta <3

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@satcittananda said:
    Commit not a single unwholesome action
    Cultivate a wealth of virtue
    To tame this mind of ours
    This is the teaching of the Buddha

Glad your wife and daughter are safe. <3
    Well said. Good prayer. <3
    Do not dwell (think on the hell realms) of your imaginings. B)
    Easy to say. :3 We all get an attack of the trumps fear when our emotions are tried, tested and directly involved ...

Please go back about your market, your theatre going, visiting, life etc. We the Buddhists, we the people, we the Internet, we the positive will prevail. Today in South London, living in a very diverse area, everyone is happy to be in a great city.

I have already voted for a new government (postal vote). As usual I will be thinking of far fetched security measures eg:

• issuing urban foxes with web cams as used by some of our pets :glasses:
    • free meditation and mind training for all emergency services and politicians
    • renaming new hate free zones as ...

????

ZenshinBunks
  • MingleMingle Veteran

Another tragedy. The third in three months (just in England) and because of what? My imaginary friend is better then yours. Fools.

Nirvana

@Mingle said:
    Another tragedy. The third in three months (just in England) and because of what? My imaginary friend is better then yours. Fools.

I doubt that actually even enters their heads. They may well go round yelling "Allahu Akbar!" (Which actually means 'Allah is greater') but according to many countless law-abiding peace-loving ordinary Muslims, they're posturing, and they're no more Muslim than you or I are.

Possible copycat attack in Melbourne

• techietechie India Veteran
    edited June 2017

@Mingle said:

It's more complicated than that. Terrorism is not about religion; it's about politics. Terrorism is often a reaction to draconian foreign policies.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Question:

Does the extensive media coverage of these kind of incidents help overall?

Do you think it glorifies it to some and inspires some would be terrorists to act?

For example, a man drove through a pedestrian mall and killed six people in Melbourne earlier this year. There was no link to terrorism, he was just crazy.

Obviously there was a lot of local news coverage but if he'd been flying an Islamic State flag out the window of his car, I am sure the international media coverage (if there was much) would've been far greater!

Nirvana

@Bunks said:
    Question:

Do you think it glorifies it to some and inspires some would be terrorists to act?

For example, a man drove through a pedestrian mall and killed six people in Melbourne earlier this year. There was no link to terrorism, he was just crazy.

Obviously there was a lot of local news coverage but if he'd been flying an Islamic State flag out the window of his car, I am sure the international media coverage (if there was much) would've been far greater!

1) Well apart from informing the general public of what's happening in the world, as it happens ...

2) However, the way it's portrayed by some media outlets tends to glorify the act and no doubt does incite other mentally challenged people whom sadly (for whatever reason)are already feeling depressed and suicidal and are easily influenced into becoming lethal cannon fodder for some warped ideological idiotical cause ....

@Bunks said:
    Question:

I have often wondered this.
    On the one hand, yes, we need media coverage of these acts, otherwise we would have no idea of what goes on in the world.

But on the other, the news does spark wrong ideas in the wrong minds.
    It is well-known that many Islamists are individuals acting on their own: they simply come up with some idea of how to carry out an action that could cause the most damage and put it into action.

Last year, in a little village in France, a couple of police man and woman were killed in their home, by a young man who was radical Islamist.
    He had no affiliations, no police record, nothing.
    He simply woke up that day and wondered what isolated criminal act he could commit in the name of his ideas.
    That's what renders these acts so difficult to foresee.

ShoshinBunkssilverHozan
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2017

@federica said:>...they're no more Muslim than you or I are.

I don't think it's as simple as that, and the jihadists clearly see themselves as Muslims. It seems they are inspired by the Wahhabi sect in Saudi Arabia.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/29/what-is-wahhabism-the-reactionary-branch-of-islam-said-to-be-the/
    A related problem seems to be the inteminable conflict between Sunni and Shia Muslims.

I think Islam is in urgent need of modernisation, it reminds me of Christianity in the medieval period. For example attitudes toward women and gays are atrocious in some Muslim countries.

lobsterKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I think Islam is in urgent need of modernisation, it reminds me of Christianity in the medieval period. For example attitudes toward women and gays are atrocious in some Muslim countries.

It probably is, but the attitudes towards the discussion of religious thought and cross-pollination with other forms of religious thought is such that the essential debate, of which direction to move into, is only happening very slowly.

It is ironic that Christianity, once the aggressor religion, is now the more progressive of the two, having taken on board ideas from science and philosophy which is leading it to abandon sections of its once holy book in favour of an allegory-based interpretation.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I totally agree with the modernisation needed that @SpinyNorman mentions.

... the greatest gift we can provide is the ability to calm and ease the turmoil, confusion, alienation etc. That becomes a presence and counter-hate force ...

silver

@SpinyNorman said:

I don't think it's as simple as that, and the jihadists clearly see themselves as Muslims. It seems they are inspired by the Wahhabi sect in Saudi Arabia.

I don't really care how they see themselves. According to many Law-abiding, Peace-Loving Honest-to-goodness Modest Muslims - they ain't.

A related problem seems to be the inteminable conflict between Sunni and Shia Muslims.

Great. Now we've got in-fighting. Only to be expected.
    This is what will naturally happen if - as predicted by a young Muslim many years ago (who said to me "We don't need to kill anyone, we'll just out-breed you") if Muslim numbers eventually get so huge that every other faction, religion, society or culture is wiped out or beaten into submission. With no 'Infidels' to cleanse the world of, they';ll start on each other.

I think Islam is in severe need of restructuring and amputation, frankly. On a huge scale.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Are the rabble-rousing monks in Myanmar not Buddhists then?

Are Ultra-Orthodox Jews prone to violence not Jewish?

What about extreme forms of Fundamentalist Christianity?

Who determines what a true Christian/Buddhist/Jew/Muslim/Hindu/(insert any belief system or religion here) is? The silent majority within each group? Maybe they need to be not-so-silent then?

lobstersilverShoshin
    edited June 2017

I guess it's more of when a person does something and uses their religious belief, ie, uses their 'faith' as an excuse to carry out atrocious acts of violence... In the name of.......

I guess it's all about how one chooses to interpret the text/teachings....

Buddhadragonsilver
    edited June 2017

@Walker said:

Yes. But they're not the kind of Buddhists one thinks of when someone talks about Buddhists.
    Buddhism by tradition, habit and instruction, has always been regarded as peaceful, meditative, contemplative and non-harming, which is what makes the Monks in Myanmar all the more incongruous in their behaviour.

You'd have to ask a Jew of their opinion. I think Judaism is probably as misunderstood as Buddhism is by some.

What about extreme forms of Fundamentalist Christianity?

It would help if you supplied current data of any Christian faction around at the present, that encourages self-sacrifice and suicide with as much collateral damage done as possible, and as widely spread as Islam in its influence. Then, I could answer that more constructively.

Who determines what a true Christian/Buddhist/Jew/Muslim/Hindu/(insert any belief system or religion here) is? The silent majority within each group? Maybe they need to be not-so-silent then?

Maybe so.
    When did you last speak out and transmit your defiance to the Myanmar Monks and relay to them the distaste of Buddhists everywhere, and an exhortation to stop?
    Are you outspoken or silent?

Perhaps @Walker is thinking of fundamentalist Christians who bomb abortion clinics and shoot doctors and staff ....this according to some is what's known as "Special-Interest Terrorism"

@federica said:

@Walker said:

You'd have to ask a Jew of their opinion. I think Judaism is probably as misunderstood as Buddhism is by some.

I don't think people are really interested in a Jew's opinion to be blunt. Or at least not this Jew's opinion.

It doesn't matter if the majority are silent. I myself got attacked in the carpark of my local shopping centre last Thursday for nothing other than being a Jew shrugs My solution is to wear NO identifying jewellery, Jewish, Buddhist or otherwise and to not go anywhere on my own anymore. My guess is that a lot of mainstream Muslims may feel the same. I know how they feel. Of course, the fact that I am not usually silent or hidden may have contributed to my getting attacked.

Who knows?

BuddhadragonsilverHozan

@dhammachick said:
    It doesn't matter if the majority are silent. I myself got attacked in the carpark of my local shopping centre last Thursday for nothing other than being a Jew shrugs My solution is to wear NO identifying jewellery, Jewish, Buddhist or otherwise and to not go anywhere on my own anymore. My guess is that a lot of mainstream Muslims may feel the same. I know how they feel. Of course, the fact that I am not usually silent or hidden may have contributed to my getting attacked.

I don't want to sound discriminative here, but I have the feeling the world is living under a tacit dictatorship.
    Muslim immigrants strive to impose their laws wherever they go.
    In different countries of Europe and Canada, they have tried to pass a law forbidding pork meat in the schools.
    They complain of crucifixis in the walls of classrooms.
    Imans are imported from different countries of the Middle East, who teach men how to beat their wives without leaving any visible trace.
    There was even a recent case in Scotland of an Iman who told his male community that in the case of a holy war, they were entitled to treat hostage women as sex slaves.

A year ago, a Jew was stabbed in the street in France because the quipah on the head gave him away as Jew.
    So the French government advised the Jew population not to wear any visible Jewish symbols.
    We have to put up with women in burkhas, or covered up to the head in headscarves, but we can't watch a rabbi walking down the street...
    Great.

silver

At the turn of the 20th century, South and Central America received massive immigration from the Middle East countries and Turkey.
    There was no tolerance for their customs and usages: they arrived in our continent, they had to adapt and comply with our laws.
    And integration worked far better.
    These people identify with their hosting countries.
    Watch Shakira or Salma Hayek: both of them are proud to be Colombian and Mexican.
    In different countries in Europe, people who are second or third generation European, still call themselves Moroccan or Argelian.

@Shoshin said:
    Perhaps @Walker is thinking of fundamentalist Christians who bomb abortion clinics and shoot doctors and staff ....this according to some is what's known as "Special-Interest Terrorism"

Yes @Shoshin, but if you read my question again, I specifically asked @Walker to supply "current data of any Christian faction around at the present, that encourages self-sacrifice and suicide with as much collateral damage done as possible, and as widely spread as Islam in its influence."

Those incidents, while abhorrent and utterly criminal, are nothing of the kind.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2017

@techie said:

@Mingle said:

It's more complicated than that. Terrorism is not about religion; it's about politics. Terrorism is often a reaction to draconian foreign policies.

What draconian foreign policy does the Philippines have?

http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-philippines-how-islamic-state-group-expanding-its-base-southeast-asia-2544951

https://news.vice.com/story/isis-expands-its-global-battlefield-to-the-philippines

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/marawi-militants-dig-in-for-protracted-battle

@pegembara said:

@techie said:

@Mingle said:

http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-philippines-how-islamic-state-group-expanding-its-base-southeast-asia-2544951

https://news.vice.com/story/isis-expands-its-global-battlefield-to-the-philippines

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/marawi-militants-dig-in-for-protracted-battle

In certain cases, it's domestic policies - institutional racism, or economic/social reforms may not benefit the minorities, and so on.

@DhammaDragon said:

@dhammachick said:

**I don't want to sound discriminative **here, but I have the feeling the world is living under a tacit dictatorship.
    In different countries of Europe and Canada, they have tried to pass a law forbidding pork meat in the schools.
    Imans are imported from different countries of the Middle East, who teach men how to beat their wives without leaving any visible trace.
    There was even a recent case in Scotland of an Iman who told his male community that in the case of a holy war, they were entitled to treat hostage women as sex slaves.

A year ago, a Jew was stabbed in the street in France because the quipah on the head gave him away as Jew.
    So the French government advised the Jew population not to wear any visible Jewish symbols.
    We have to put up with women in burkhas, or covered up to the head in headscarves, but we can't watch a rabbi walking down the street...
    Great.

And you began the post by writing that you didn't want to sound discriminative, lol. ;)

edited June 2017

@techie said:
    And you began the post by writing that you didn't want to sound discriminative, lol. ;)

I have written about facts.
    Nothing that you cannot read on the newspaper, @techie

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@federica said:

@SpinyNorman said:

I don't really care how they see themselves. According to many Law-abiding, Peace-Loving Honest-to-goodness Modest Muslims - they ain't.

Great. Now we've got in-fighting. Only to be expected.
    This is what will naturally happen if - as predicted by a young Muslim many years ago (who said to me "We don't need to kill anyone, we'll just out-breed you") if Muslim numbers eventually get so huge that every other faction, religion, society or culture is wiped out or beaten into submission. With no 'Infidels' to cleanse the world of, they';ll start on each other.

I think Islam is in severe need of restructuring and amputation, frankly. On a huge scale.

Errr.... if they aren't seen as Muslims by the Modest Muslims, then there isn't anything to cut away or restructure then, is there?

They're the embarrassing, eccentric relative. Secretly hated by the rest of the family, who are too scared to confront them. And for good reason. But they're still part of that family, whether the rest will accept them as such, or not.

lobsterVastmind

@Walker said: Errr.... if they aren't seen as Muslims by the Modest Muslims, then there isn't anything to cut away or restructure then, is there?

Yes of course there is. Don't confuse 'Muslim' with 'Islam'. Just as many other Religions have, for one reason or another 'moved the Goal Posts' so can Islam 'restructure' its Dogma and Creed to be more in line with Peace, rather than War.

They're the embarrassing, eccentric relative. Secretly hated by the rest of the family, who are too scared to confront them. And for good reason. But they're still part of that family, whether the rest will accept them as such, or not.

You're bringing in arguments of familial ties where there were none before. I'm not sure what the point is of introducing smoke and mirrors, frankly. We're not even dicussing anything to do with inter-familial relations.
    This is irrelevant.
    We're discussing the Unacceptable Face of Islam, as these dissident, terrorist, criminal factions purport to represent.

They're the symptom.
    In order to eliminate the symptoms, you have to first cure the disease.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks @techie for looking a little deeper <3

As well as those murdered, three angry, unstable individuals were shot (fifty times by our traumatised armed police)

Most tragically it seems the disturbed terrorists were practicing chanting (zikr) and at least one of them went into a kind of euphoric peaceful trance, ready for death. Sounds dangerously zen to me ... :p

So any compassion for the crazies? No? ... clearly demented demons? o:)

I think it was Ghandhi who said and I misquote:
    “I like your Buddha, I do not like your Buddhists. Your Buddhists are so unlike your Buddha.”

Us and them guys? ... nobody here but us Bodhis ... too hard?

@techie said:

@DhammaDragon said:

@dhammachick said:

**I don't want to sound discriminative **here, but I have the feeling the world is living under a tacit dictatorship.

Great.

Jesus! Luckily I left the identity of my attacker out. Techie would be lynching me by now......

edited June 2017

@lobster said:
    Thanks @techie for looking a little deeper <3

We live in a state of siege, certain communities fear to go out with symbols that identify their religion, individuals blow themselves up anywhere and any of us could be among the casualties anytime...
    But naturally, bad Buddhist, you are discriminating...
    Yes, @techie definitely has a clinical eye...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

We live in a state of siege

You might. I don't. So no universal Wii fit :p

My neighbours on one side are Muslim, on the other side young hedonists. I have a Buddha in the garden. My sisters feel under siege from noisy toddlers, my mother from free ranging dogs. Me from those with seige mentality ... :3

Today many of us 'siege city' (pah) Londoners will vote ... how dangerous might that be?
    Viva la Revolution o:)

@techie said:
    In certain cases, it's domestic policies - institutional racism, or economic/social reforms may not benefit the minorities, and so on.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2017

@techie said:

@pegembara said:

@techie said:

@Mingle said:

In these cases, they are not the minority even. Moderate voices are being drowned out.

http://www.asiasentinel.com/society/wahhabism-in-southeast-asia/

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/what-you-think/article/theofascism-and-the-myth-of-moderate-malaysia-dr-mohd-faizal-musa

lobster

@dhammachick said:

@techie said:

@DhammaDragon said:

@dhammachick said:

Great.

Jesus! Luckily I left the identity of my attacker out. Techie would be lynching me by now......

I think you should read up on persecution complex.

@pegembara said:

@techie said:

@pegembara said:

@techie said:

@Mingle said:

In these cases, they are not the minority even. Moderate voices are being drowned out.

http://www.asiasentinel.com/society/wahhabism-in-southeast-asia/

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/what-you-think/article/theofascism-and-the-myth-of-moderate-malaysia-dr-mohd-faizal-musa

This is all tangential. You asked about terrorism, and I replied that terrorism is a reaction to draconian policies. It doesn't happen in a vacuum. If certain countries start wars, is it really surprising that some people from those war-torn countries become militants? Or if a certain country oppresses a certain community, is it really shocking that some members of the oppressed community take up arms? Cause and effect. Do not just look at the effect (terrorism), try to analyze the causes and conditions as well.

lobsterShoshinVastmind
    edited June 2017

@techie said:

@dhammachick said:

@techie said:

@DhammaDragon said:

@dhammachick said:

Great.

I think you should read up on persecution complex

hands you a mirror

I think you should pull your head in in general shrugs

BuddhadragonHozan
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@techie said:
    This is all tangential. You asked about terrorism, and I replied that terrorism is a reaction to draconian policies. It doesn't happen in a vacuum. If certain countries start wars, is it really surprising that some people from those war-torn countries become militants? Or if a certain country oppresses a certain community, is it really shocking that some members of the oppressed community take up arms? Cause and effect.

I find Gandhi's example of peaceful resistance much more compelling, or Thich Nhat Hanh's retreat on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Violence spawns more violence, it is not really a means to progress, it is usually counter-productive.

Hozan

@Kerome said:

@techie said:
    This is all tangential. You asked about terrorism, and I replied that terrorism is a reaction to draconian policies. It doesn't happen in a vacuum. If certain countries start wars, is it really surprising that some people from those war-torn countries become militants? Or if a certain country oppresses a certain community, is it really shocking that some members of the oppressed community take up arms? Cause and effect.

I find Gandhi's example of peaceful resistance much more compelling, or Thich Nhat Hanh's retreat on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Violence spawns more violence, it is not really a means to progress, it is usually counter-productive.

What they should do is another matter entirely. I was simply pointing out that people who lose their homes (and their hopes) are going to be resentful. And in their resentment, they might grab any opportunity they get to hurt someone, anyone, just to find an outlet for their pent-up frustrations. When emotions are involved, things are hardly rational.

ShoshinVastmind
This discussion has been closed.