Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation NOT focusing on breathing

LilacLilac Southfield, MI New

I have PTSD and thinking about my breathing is my biggest trigger. Can someone point me towards some meditation techniques that don't use breathing as a focus? Please do not reply saying I should "work on it" or "push myself" as this is not helpful and insulting in some ways. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

There are meditations centered heavily on visualisations or chanting. I used to meditate while listening to sutras beings read. There are many things you can do, different paths for all. In the end everything's the same. Good luck.

• I have PTSD and realised my greatest meditation focus could be my singing bowl and my mantra practice. I can't really give guidance on either but sounds generally focus the mind in a single-minded way. Good luck with your practice.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

This "link" might help ...

Metta

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Walking meditation can be done different ways. Very slowly noting the feeling of walking and the feet. Slow like Tai Chi slowly walking. Or walking rather normal pace but dropping the running commentary and just notice all five senses whatever appears.

BuddhadragonKundo
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2017

Hi, Lilac. Welcome to the forum. :) May I ask you what treatments you've tried (if any, at this point) for your PTSD? The technique called EMDR is with rare exception (war vets/multiple traumas) quite effective within just a few treatments. A certain acupuncture technique tends to achieve remarkable results, too (cheaper than EMDR).

Take care of yourself. (((HUGS)))

Kittykat
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Mantra chanting seems to be very effective in the treatment of PTSD, @Lilac.
    Here is a 101 explanation:

http://m.wikihow.com/Use-Meditation-to-Treat-PTSD

Hozanlobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Metta, chanting, trataka or candle gazing, shikantaza or silent illumination, chakra, tonglen, nada yoga, hatha yoga, qigong, tai chi. I'm sure there's many others!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Great answers guys also remember:

There are no red herrings in meditation ... so I am told by The Fish ...

JeffreyHozanKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I came across this today, thought it was an interesting perspective. The end result would be meditation through "just being" in non-judgment, being unoccupied and letting the energy settle. A beautiful concept.

http://thepowerofideas.ideapod.com/getting-meditation-wrong-according-zen-master-heres-instead/

Hozan
  • MingleMingle Veteran

Ain't nothin magical about the breath. You can focus on anything. It's not about what you focus on just becoming the observer of your mind and seeing it as just another thing arising in consciousness.

upekka