Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

recognizing the perception

are there perceptions arise when one reads this post?

Comments

• KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

My mind immediately jumped to scrabble for answers after being faced with just this question. Perceptions? Sure I have all kinds. But is it the perceptions that matter or the act of perceiving itself? When I perceive things I am more liable to misconstrue and mis understand. I would say it's better to just observe, but neutrality should not equal passivity and personal inaction bothers me. I feel like watching without acting is ignoble.

I think we have to perceive things but constantly challenge ourselves to look closer and find new lenses of understanding.

I don't know if this was the point to your question. It's just how I perceived it, and then my thoughts on it

• HozanHozan Veteran

Cave

• upekkaupekka Veteran

thanks @eggsavior and @Hozan for your responses
    i will come to them again after i received some more responses
    thanks dhamma friends

Just read your second post

Fear

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Yes, I perceive a question. =)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yes - English is your second language

seeker242Buddhadragon
  • um.. frustration?

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

eye sense ,no feeling tone,no thinking,aware,percieve nothing ,at ease.this is somewhat my brain agregate process when you posed the question,upekka.

i just did it wrong.saw the instruction of the other post.you want words.

empty,neutral

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Yes - English is your second language

I wasn't joking - that was the first thing I perceived

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Of course

Anything you read will trigger a perception, I would think, although it can be trivial. You are perceiving something of the thought processes of another, there is some interpretation in that.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

yeah - I don't get it.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I perceive two questions - yours, and mine.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

overthinking.

BuddhadragonKannon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Who perceives?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@upekka said:

Yes...

• upekkaupekka Veteran

thanks for the help provided

Who gets the jackpot? ??

ShoshinHozan
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Who gets the jackpot? ??

if one sees the perception as the perception and does not think the perception arisen within is the object one does not react to the object

if one doesn't react to the perception one is 'here and now'
    that doesn't mean one is inactive but one can act wisely without greed, hate and delusion

no need to agree or disagree to these writings but if one tries to see whether there is any truth in them would be fruitful

thanks

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2017

...But wait..."I" perceive more......

recognizing (verb) the perception (noun)

@upekka said:

It's interesting @upekka ...

When discussing the five aggregates, some teachers refer to them as Form "Perception" Sensation, Mental formation, Consciousness and then there are others who might use "Recognition" in place of "Perception" ( I've also seen "Cognition" used) ....and in the thread's title you have used both words...(be it one being a verb and the other a noun)

Recognising (verb) the perception (noun)

When you could have also used....

Perceiving (verb) the Recognition (noun)....
    Or...
    Recognising the recognition ....
    Or...
    Perceiving the perception ....
    Or...
    Re-cognising the cognition ....

Damn perception, at times it can make a mountain out of a mole hill :winky:

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@Shoshin said:

Damn perception, at times it can make a mountain out of a mole hill :

always

Shoshin

hmm...interesting , word text form,doesn't affect my emotiional and thinking perception of the object alot compared to living object in person.i try to vibe or feel the person.body language and facial expression plays a role.thanks upekka for this food of thought.

@paulyso a good perspective, I think this is why I was unknowingly confused and started over thinking?

edited June 2017

Well... I do have this strange way of being able to recognize a perception as such, hopefully not engage when it triggers negative feelings....
    But also have this all-encompassing view of not making a distinction between perception and perceiver.
    As if I am part of a whole.
    Otherwise, it feels like too much overthinking matters, when in fact I prefer to just feel, full stop.
    Connect emotionally, rather than splitting hairs with my logical mind??

Kannon
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    I prefer to just feel, full stop.

Good point
    which feeling? bodily or mentally?

can we chose bodily feeling? if we can't then what we should practice to do?

can we chose mental feeling? if yes, what we should do?

• namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited June 2017

I remember a monk telling me that sañña/perception is also memory. So as it relates to your question, memory/perception/sañña does arise. I have to use it to understand what I am reading or looking at.

Buddhadragonlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(We apparently don't store memories....)

@namarupa said:
    I remember a monk telling me that sañña/perception is also memory. So as it relates to your question, memory/perception/sañña does arise. I have to use it to understand what I am reading or looking at.

We seldom simply "perceive," in an objective way, unless through the practice of mindfulness we consciously train ourselves to hone our present-moment awareness.

We usually see "concepts."
    We perceive reality through the filter of our subjecitivity: an object evokes memories, sometimes triggers feelings, comparison with similar objects from past experiences.

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@namarupa said:
    I have to use it to understand what I am reading or looking at.

instead of 'I have to use it to understand', it (perception) is what 'i am' reading or looking at

hope 'ditte ditta mattan' rings the bell

edited June 2017

I don't remember who said it but I read on this forum that our perceptions are independent of actual reality, none of us will know it entirely until we totally transcend the limits of our consciousness and personhood. I believe the best we can do until that point is to nuetrally remain on the Middle Path.

A mantra which has helped me with this:

Accept everything,
    Release everything.... ad infinitum

upekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@eggsavior said:

A mantra which has helped me with this:

Accept everything,
    Release everything.... ad infinitum

hope you have been practising the above and by now you know 'dhamma' better than before