Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Silent Buddha

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

This is something that I first heard about at last night's chanting, which was in Pali, but they had an English translation available for me. However, even the monks seemed unsure about what it was when I inquired. So here's what my research this morning found:

That another term for it is a "Pacceka Buddha" -- one who has been able to abandon greed, hate, and delusion in a time in history when there is no “real” Buddha teaching (for example, Siddhartha would be a "real" or "ultimate" Buddha). However, a silent Buddha is still somewhat limited in his wisdom, so he cannot start the type of teaching/scriptures that a "full" Buddha (such as Siddhartha) started. Therefore he remains a silent Buddha.

I also read that Buddha advised those he taught that in order to find "salvation" it is not necessary for each and every person to wait until full Buddhahood is gained. That aspirants can also find salvation by becoming Silent Buddhas -- which apparently is the same as a term I have heard used more in Thai Buddhism -- Arahants -- Perfected Ones. That a Silent Buddha is Enlightened, but not to the degree of a Supreme Buddha; they may still experience Nibanna. They do not preach to lay people (hence "Silent Buddha"), and they lead a life of relative solitude. That arahants have overcome their desires and other human weaknesses.

At least that's what I got out of some online sources.

Kannon

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2017

If there is something strange in the neighbourhood, who ya gonna call?
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/24761/pratyekabuddha

Ghostbusters! eh ... pratyeka-pacceka-buddhas! B)
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/1551/pratyeka-pacceka-buddhas

For various reasons such a realised being may stay within their existing situation. So for example I became aware of Catholic, Muslim, Sikh and not religious silent buddhas. This is a Buddhist designation of an awake condition ...

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    1. Supreme Buddha /Samma Sambuddha (for us Siddhartha Gouthama Buddha) who found the Path and the Fruit without having help from out side
      it says there are many Samma Sambuddhas in the past (not laughing Buddha etc.)

2. Scilent Buddhas/ Pacceka Buddhas who found the Path and the Fruit without having help from out side because at such times there is no Samma Sambuddha's Teaching (Dhamma)
      the difference between 1. and 2. is Scilent Buddhas have** no 'Dhamma to follow'** and do not tell others how to get into the Path and the Fruit
      it says not because their selfishness or inability but because at the times of their appearnce the condition is not right, like there are no people who can understand Dhamma

3. Arahants (they are Buddhas too)
      They listen to Dhamma from Samma Sambuddha and understand the Path and the Fruit

we can achieve Arahantship only because still we have the Samma Sambuddha's Teaching (Dhamma)
    Arahnts can teach Dhamma

in this era we can listen to Dhamma from His deciples & from the internet and we can read Dhamma

what we need is at the beginning to have a bit of faith (Sraddha) in Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha and have a liking to practice (Chanda)
    then we will make an effort (Viriya) to practice
    that would develop our mindfulness (Sathi) and concentration (Samadhi)
    that would bring wisdom to know the TRUTH (Dhamma)

it says when Faith, Effort, Mindfulness, Concentraition and Wisdome are alined one would see Dhamma/ become Stream-enter/ get the Noble Right View
    then one knows what to do to get the Liberation from all fetters

ShoshinKannon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

... Faith, Effort, Mindfulness, Concentration and Wisdom are aligned one would see Dhamma/ become Stream-enterer/get the Noble Right View
    then one knows what to do to get the Liberation from all fetters

Exactly 'faith' or confidence in ones chosen path and walking it makes a stream enterer. :)
    This tightening around a core alignment, is a temporary or skilful necessity. It is diligent and determined behavour. We can from this position remind others but also be aware that primarily we are reinforcing our commitment.

From such a genuine aspiration we will always be aided by the unseen or silent buddhas.
    http://yourskillfulmeans.com/section/meditation-practices/