Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

ipad scam -

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited June 2017 in NewBuddhist.com

@Linc
The following thread has possibly been compromised, probably some form of javascript injection ... It may be just on my end - compromised javascript in browser ...

The mystery of @Lobster's origins revealed!
Necro person 15 comments Last by JakeGyllanhall 8:12AMGeneral Banter

The following bogus message was put up on following and opening the post ostensibly from @genkaku who may also be compromised ...

Don't click on close
Shutdown your ipad.

I iz safe (allegedly) ?

Hozan

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited June 2017

I think it may just be your end @lobster...

I tried opening the link in @genkaku's last post on that thread on my iPad Pro and got a page with a movie player on it. Or perhaps that page was compromised for a short while, that could also be...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Could well be my end @Kerome
    A compromised browser can happen on any machine.

Important to inform @Linc just in case ...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Tee Hee!

I 'upgraded' my iPad to ios 11 public beta in case it had security updates. :o Made my iPad so slow it was unusable ... (I was warned that the public beta was unstable and not for daily use).

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease ... :3

Ah well I have my old iPad to fall back on ... :3

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2017

Aaah the good old crApple effect - Android gal here lol

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Nobody else seems to have been effected - good news. If it was a browser redirect, then a similar message for opening in Windows, Android etc. would be equally malign. If the server and PHP code had been infected (sorry for geek talk) then this would be something others reported.

It seems there was a day of cyber attacks worldwide ... however these were of a different variety. Ay caramba!

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

That same day, I did get a "congratulations, your iPad has been selected ...." piece of scammage.

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

I did indeed end up banning that user anyway due to another report. Now I wish I'd more closely inspected the post first, but I'm not sure how or why it could effect an iPad that way.

lobster