Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the duality?

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited July 2017 in General Banter

according to what you have heard and what you have read so far, what do you think 'what is the duality?'

(MDM1205 from 24:00)

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What is the duality?

"Two" =Subject & Object ...Non-duality = "Not Two" :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Link please, @upekka. Thanks.

• upekkaupekka Veteran

this is in sinhala
    if someone can translate it into english and forward to this thread it would be much appreciated

i can do that, but there is a grate probability that i might changed the exact meaning in it

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2017

So your interpretation of 'what is the duality' might actually be inaccurate?

upekkaKundo
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@federica said:
    So your interpretation of 'what is the duality' might actually be inaccurate?

i am not interpreting it, i understand it, it is knowing

no matter how hard i try to explain it you people would never understand it

but the sermon is given by one of Arahnnts living at this moment and if one could translate it into your language who is at the same page as you are (in your language) then it might be helpful for you to understand

it might or might not

it depends on at the moment you are listening (or reading) to it and how much you have been trying so far (not just on this life time, but also in your previous birth) understand Buddha's Teaching

just the Cause and Effect

nothing else

• HozanHozan Veteran
    edited July 2017

If you understand it why did you name the thread "What is the duality?"

What do you mean by "you people" ?

Kundo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

"You people" is duality...

HozanTosh
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Unfortunately my sinhalese is a little rusty....

BuddhadragonKundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

What is the duality?

Buddhadragon

@Hozan said:

Give me two glasses of wine, and I can sing in Sinhalese, Pali and old Greek

HozanKundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

@Hozan said:

Give me two glasses of wine and like Dr Doolittle I can communicate with the animals.

@Hozan said:

@DhammaDragon said:

What is the duality?

"You people" is duality.
    "THE duality" is more duality...???

HozanKundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

I don't mean to fry minds in the small hours of the morning but contemplate this.....
    What is the Triality?

• what's teh point

• HozanHozan Veteran

Indeed

@Hozan said:
    I don't mean to fry minds in the small hours of the morning but contemplate this.....
    What is the Triality?

I can guess overthinking is indulging in duality.
    And dukkha.
    Two for the price of one.
    Second arrow...

Hozanupekka
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

@Hozan said:
    What is the Triality?

I can guess overthinking is indulging in duality.
    And dukkha.
    Two for the price of one.
    Second arrow...

Quite so!

Buddhadragonupekka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2017

In the early manifestations, one-pointedness is about focus/attention/being in the moment/mindfulness - in other words a singular being.

Later on though much the same, it examines duality, Dr Do-Little, singing to ones empty glass etc from an emptiness rather than a full of [insert 'you people' expletive] ...

Duality is the lack of clarity.

Incidentally I do not believe 'we the people' are being insulted. It is a translation problem ...

upekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2017

@lobster said:

Incidentally I do not believe 'we the people' are being insulted.

correct

It is a translation problem ...

spot on

see, this is the reason that i hesitate to translate

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2017

Duality is something added on to reality. It isn't there all the time for example when listening to beautiful music or admiring a scene.

Adding self — some people call it ‘spirit’, or ‘soul’, this idea that there is some eternal substance that makes you ‘you’, that makes you into some special individual, some separate personality — is what makes life such a burden. So, if you are wise, you learn to distinguish between the pure life of mind and body, nothing but mind and body, and the burdened, heavy life where you have added this thing called ‘a self.

This is a fundamental illusion constantly being conditioned in the human mind, in the mind of all sentient beings. And it is rooted in ignorance. This illusion, the idea of a self, is constantly arising in the mind. This idea, or feeling, that there is a self, is real. The feeling itself really exists; we experience it constantly.

https://buddhismnow.com/2014/07/09/self-is-heavy-by-buddhadasa-bhikku/

In the seen, there is only the seen,
    in the heard, there is only the heard,
    in the sensed, there is only the sensed,
    in the cognized, there is only the cognized.
    Thus you should see that
    indeed there is no thing here;
    this, Bahiya, is how you should train yourself.
    Since, Bahiya, there is for you
    in the seen, only the seen,
    in the heard, only the heard,
    in the sensed, only the sensed,
    in the cognized, only the cognized,
    and you see that there is no thing here,
    you will therefore see that
    indeed there is no thing there.
    As you see that there is no thing there,
    you will see that
    you are therefore located neither in the world of this,
    nor in the world of that,
    nor in any place
    betwixt the two.
    This alone is the end of suffering.

ShoshinlobsterKannon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What is duality ?

"Two" =Subject & Object ...Non-duality = "Not Two"=non-"conditioned" awareness :)

When contemplating duality & non-duality ...I've use this simple quote as a meditation tool to bring the two together to become "not" two... where the mind just resting in awareness, so to speak...

"Awareness is fundamentally non-conceptual before "thinking" splits experience into subject and object. It is empty and so can contain everything, including 'thoughts' .It is boundless . And amazingly it is intrinsically 'knowing' "

upekka
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Hozan said:

@DhammaDragon said:

@Hozan said:

Give me two glasses of wine and like Dr Doolittle I can communicate with the animals.

Give me two glasses of wine, a pint of Guiness, a shot of vodka and a partridge in a pear tree - and I can make up any shit I feel like and believe it :awesome:

(not having a go at anyone, just taking the piss :love: )

Hozanupekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2017

@Shoshin said:

What is duality ?

"Awareness is fundamentally non-conceptual before "thinking" splits experience into subject and object. It is empty and so can contain everything, including 'thoughts' .It is boundless . And amazingly it is intrinsically 'knowing' "

exactly
    that is why
    if one just think about 'anything including thoughts' one gets more and more questions and get irritated and get tired too

chetanahan bikkave kamman vadami

but if one does Insight meditation, one would be a step closer to the answer and one feels like doing more and more Insight meditation to get into the depth of the Teaching

@dhammachick said:

@Hozan said:

@DhammaDragon said:

@Hozan said:

Give me two glasses of wine, a pint of Guiness, a shot of vodka and a partridge in a pear tree - and I can make up any shit I feel like and believe it :awesome:

(not having a go at anyone, just taking the piss :love: )

it is obvious, shit can be seen everywhere :p