Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is your impression of Ajahn Brahm?

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I watched a couple of his videos in the last day or two.

Do any of you follow him? What are you general impressions?

Comments

• CedarTreeCedarTree Private Island Explorer

Read his book on Jhana. Incredible.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2017

I prefer Stewart Lee as a comedian and Ajahn Brahm for dharma. :3

person
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What is your impression of Ajahn Brahm?

Down to earth Dharma talks with a few jokes thrown in, which i guess also helps listeners to lighten up and absorb what's being said....

mmo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(I do a great Impression of Shirley Bassey. But that's about it... ;) )

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I quite like Ajahn Brahm's lighthearted approach, he makes the dharma accessible for a lot of lay people. However, I've gotten more out of the written collection of Ajahn Chah's teachings, or Thich Nhat Hanh's retreats on YouTube.

federica
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I listen to his teachings on podcast and overall I enjoy and appreciate them. He has a very relaxed and open attitude, very accepting of people. I don't always agree with him though and think he isn't necessarily always right in his views but it doesn't really bother me because he doesn't come across as proselytizing or believing his understanding is perfect. And his jokes are horribly funny.

lobstermmo
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

i have never heard of him, i will watch him today

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I thoroughly enjoy his talks. I think he's very wise and funny at the same time.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I enjoy what he has to say, but I can't "get into" him very much. I am like that with HHDL though too, I find him a lovely person and love to listen to him talk. But his books are very dry to me and I don't think I've ever finished a single one of them! Just different strokes.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    I watched a couple of his videos in the last day or two.

What are you general impressions?

What are your impressions? Did you like him?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

My first impression of him is that his dharma talks are way too long. :p

• yagryagr Veteran

My trauma therapist asked me to come up with three beings - a person, either real or imaginary (character from a tv show or from literature, etc), or animal that I would want in my corner as part of a team if I didn't feel safe. Ajahn Brahm was on that list. Oh what the heck...the other two were her and Aslan from The Chronicles of Narnia.

ShoshinBunksHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think you're lion about the last one. He wouldn't be my Mane choice.....

KundoHozanyagr
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    I think you're lion about the last one. He wouldn't be my Mane choice.....

SUCH a dad joke Fede.....

Yeah, I stole it from my 55-year old 9-and-a-half year-old husband....

yagrHozan