Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

premature immaculation

One of the reasons for keeping in mind wrathful deities, stabalising and grounding good company and the directives of the full time uniformed Sangha ...
http://askthelama.com/post/101418236743/the-great-way-of-awakening

... is the danger of mild unfoldings, overestimated, inflated and making a mess through premature immaculation ...

Returning constantly to the stage of beginner is one reminder. Taking refuge is another. Watching our effect rather than pristine yet impeded unskilful intention is another.

Do you have a preferred technique, such as a self slap with a large halibut?

person

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I find life reminds me often enough that I still have distances to go before I attain real peace. Like when I went looking for work recently, and found myself getting stressed at job interviews... after all, what is there to be stressed about? A job is about money, but what is the worst case? Living on the streets in ten years' time? It seems there are fears I have yet to let go of...

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2017

Do you have a preferred technique?

Watching the mind....What other techniques are there ?

Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya

upekkaHozan
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@Kerome said:
    I find life reminds me often enough that I still have distances to go before I attain real peace. Like when I went looking for work recently, and found myself getting stressed at job interviews... after all, what is there to be stressed about? A job is about money, but what is the worst case? Living on the streets in ten years' time?

what is the best case? be a millionaire? =)=)

It seems there are fears I have yet to let go of...

future?

how about come back to Here and Now

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

A job is (or can be) about more than money though. Social interaction, challenges for the brain, etc.

I still bring myself back to the breath. It works best for me. When I realize how far off the rails I've gone it is kind of like smacking myself with a halibut though :lol: Breathing is the one thing we are doing in the moment all the time. You can't breath the previous breath over, nor can you skip ahead to the next one. It's just always there, in the present, waiting to let you surf on it when needed.

lobsterHozan
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Other people along with self reflection seem to do the job. I have the predilection towards being a hermit, I would love to live alone in a cabin in the woods. Navigating others, trying to find the best words to help, being humbled by their knowledge and opinions move my practice ahead at times at light speed compared to isolated reflection.

I imagine though for someone more extroverted and not as prone to self reflection some effective alone time would be more helpful.

karastilobsterHozan
  • yagryagr Veteran

@Kerome said:
    A job is about money, but what is the worst case? Living on the streets in ten years' >time?

I have land that you can grow a garden on and a trailer you can live on if it comes to that. Find something else to worry about. <3

JeroenHozanShoshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@person I find the same thing. Some days my desire to just live in a little cabin with kerosene lamps in the woods is so strong, lol. I do plan to have that cabin. I just don't think it'd be good for me to live alone there. Not even with my husband (who is also very introverted). My dad has largely done that, and it's not been good. He gets very anxious now around people, even his siblings and refuses to spend time with anyone. His presence is missed by many, but his anxiety has become a problem, and it is something he developed as a result of not making himself spend time with people on a somewhat regular basis. I don't want to end up like that. Plus, if I am always in my head, then I have no idea if what is going on in there is good or not. I need to bounce it off other people to know if I am starting to lose my mind or something ;)

personlobsterJeffreyHozan
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@yagr said:

@Kerome said:
    A job is about money, but what is the worst case? Living on the streets in ten years' >time?

I have land that you can grow a garden on and a trailer you can live on if it comes to that. Find something else to worry about. <3

Thanks @yagr... I trust I will find some more normal work between now and when my savings run out, 10 years is a pretty long horizon.

yagrHozan
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

The answer is to be a little mentally ill and live alone but also with other people and halibuts.... just that only you can hear! And maybe a few that others can also hear!

Kundokarastiperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks everyone,

As usual a diversity of methodologies. Interestingly I find my mind is best reflected in others. In other words it is in observing other that I am reminded of the 'my mind' that @Shoshin mentions. The hermit or isolated mind that @person reminds us of, does in me at least, tend towards 'cabin fever'.

Living in a city, I am probably most alone during formal practice and when in a garden communing with nature, trees, insects, birds and the sun ...

Life is both a worry and if karmicaly fortunate a joy. I trend towards joy rather than fish slapping. The unfashionable dervishes, I sometimes mention, express it well ...

'Increase in Love'
    https://www.chishti.ru/stages_of_love.htm

Time to take the rubbish out ... <3

Hozan