Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth

CedarTreeCedarTree Private Island Explorer

I had a hard time deciding if this should be put in Philosophy, Meditation, or General Banter. Since I am looking for guidance more on the side on how to experience this teaching and or deepen my understanding of it's context I settled with "Meditation"

I am familiar with the Theravada view on Rebirth and also the Zen portrayal.

As someone that has pursued strong meditation based traditions such as Thai Forest and Antai-ji - Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery I have been able to experience a lot of the teachings and or at least understand them in both a logical way and experiential way.

Rebirth however has been a hard one for me. Not for disbelief but in achieving a level of experience and understanding in which it fits in smoothly into how I have come to understand the teachings both through study and experience.

I am hoping those knowledgeable in the other Mahayana Traditions/Different schools can explain how it is talked about in their school and also experiences and or things that have helped deepen their understanding on this teaching.

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Rebirth takes a lot of forms. I happen to believe in rebirth after death of the human body for many reasons there is no need to go into. In the end, it doesn't really matter because no one KNOWS. We just suspect. I am a Tibetan practitioner, so my tradition gets into some complex stuff surrounding death, some of it gets rather mystical (such as tulkus and rainbow bodies etc). I don't concern myself with the details of it much, because I let go of the need to arrive at a solid answer as far as what I believe happens.

For me, the rebirth that really counts is the one that happens every moment. We wake up different people, literally, than we went to bed as. Our cells, our processes,our hormones, our thoughts, everything changes with everything we experience. That is the type of rebirth I focus on and try to learn from to recognize patterns I need to break.

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@karasti said:.....For me, the rebirth that really counts is the one that happens every moment. We wake up different people, literally, than we went to bed as. Our cells, our processes,our hormones, our thoughts, everything changes with everything we experience. That is the type of rebirth I focus on and try to learn from to recognize patterns I need to break.

I found this, part of a comment you made in another thread, to be closely - inextricably? - aligned with what you put above...

@karasti said: Breathing is the one thing we are doing in the moment all the time. You can't breath the previous breath over, nor can you skip ahead to the next one. It's just always there, in the present, waiting to let you surf on it when needed.

karastiHozan
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited July 2017

Well that's embarrassing, I spelled "breathe" wrong :lol: Please don't punish me @federica!

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@karasti said:
    Well that's embarrassing, I spelled "breathe" wrong :lol: Please don't punish me @federica!

Well if there are punishments for being awesome then you are in trouble..

karasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think being quoted several times is punishment enough....

karastiBunks