Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Unusual mantra?

SileSile Veteran
edited July 2017 in Arts & Writings

Hello folks!

Someone found this mantra (?) inside a pendant (sadly, I don't have a photo of the pendant or access to it).

On the other side of this paper there are 5 stripes: violet, white, red, green and yellow

It seems to be sort-of Sanskrit (possibly another Indian language altogether?), but I found myself wondering whether it was actually code; maybe to get a message past Chinese censors, disguised as a mantra?

The less exciting alternative is that the non-Tibetan pendant seller simply wanted to sell the pendant and scribbled this out, lol, but it looks a little too competent in some ways for that.

Very curious - would love to hear what you think, and thank you!

I have for the first part (clumsily on my part no doubt):

Om thunk'a thhubba' bba' thbarth'a bbaha tha tṛṣā thha bbaod thurga thha bb[X] tsge med

Another person offered:

Om thunk'a thhubba' bba' thbarth'a bbaha tha ṭ.hya-śa thha gbo-ta thurga thha bb[X] tsge med.

We think possibly "bbaod" or "gbo-ta" could be crypto-spellings for "bod" (Tibet).

Very intrigued to see what you all think!

Warm regards,

Sile

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2017

Sile!!! Nice to see you again! :)

I would go with the suggestion someone else gave you ( on FreeSangha) and see about a translator looking at it..... I think that's your best bet. :+1:

Sile
  • SileSile Veteran

Hello Vastmind - it's been ages!! Hope you are all well!!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Mantra lockets/pendants are actually quite popular. Gau lockets or necklaces is what they are called. Most contain simple mantras, but some get quite long, and some even contain the entire heart sutra. I hope you can find out, I would love to know!

Vastmind