Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

4NT Revisited.

This discussion was created from comments split from: The Four Noble Truths.

Comments

• upekkaupekka Veteran

this thread is very old, but it is valid for today

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/4619/the-four-noble-truths

the suffering is two kind:
    mental suffering and bodily suffering
    insight meditation helps to see the difference,
    in other words, practising four frames of reference (mindfulness) help to see the distinction between the two kinds of suffering

the cause of suffering
    craving is the cause
    in other words dependent origination (patcca samuppada) ia the cause of suffering

the cessation of suffering
    one must see the impermanent nature of things, suffering nature of things and non-duality nature of things (anicca, dukka, anatta)

the path leading to the cessation
    Noble Eightfold Path (arya ashtangika magga)

one starts practising four frames of reference with having a vee bit of faith in Buddha
    one develops Eightfold Path which leads to Noble Eightfold Path
    once one is wise enough to develop NEF one is said to be a Noble One and it says He never enter into woeful states and He achieved the first stage of Noble Ones

He now knows where He is heading
    one does not need any guide anymore, but one has to continue practising four frames of reference with the knowledge/wisdom one achieved so far
    by doing so one develops one's 37 factors for awakening/wings to awakening/to reach nibbana/unbinding/enlightenment

at this stage, the most important thing is to know where we/i/you stand
    if i/you/we don't have a vee bit of faith in Buddha/His Teaching/His disciples, the first thing we have to do is have a faith (by now, by the time of your desire to log into this site, read this thread and read this post so far you have a vee bit of faith in Buddha/His Teaching/His disciples, even though i/we/you deny it)
    my/your/our 37 factors for awakening has been developed up to a certain level
    we don't know it because we are ignorant, gullible, innocent little fools who are with closed eyes
    what we have to do is open our eyes and practise four frames of reference
    we will be able to see the Four Noble Truth and can start to living according to the Truth we have seen
    what we see is what we own, it is no one else's asset

ready to open the eyes and practise the Four frame of reference

**********'bikkus, develop your mindfulness, there is no other thing that can lead you to get rid of suffering, make haste, do not hesitate'**********

Bunks
  • And when things seem confounding and unclear, I remember something Bhante Gunaratana wrote somewhere, to the effect that: Even delusion is impermanent.

Bunks
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Dhammika said:
    And when things seem confounding and unclear, I remember something Bhante Gunaratana wrote somewhere, to the effect that: Even delusion is impermanent.

Nice thought, but I've known people who have been deluded for at least decades.

lobsterBunks
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2017

@vinlyn said:
    @Dhammika said:
    Even delusion is impermanent.

that is why there is a hope for freedom

@vinlyn said:
    but I've known people who have been deluded for at least decades.

in my case i had been deluded 54 years (more than five decades)

Bunks
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@vinlyn it's funny how so few words can make you think. Indeed, how often we mistake the two.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@karasti said:
    @vinlyn it's funny how so few words can make you think. Indeed, how often we mistake the two.

This is why I am now particularly working on mindfulness above all else.

lobsterShoshinkarasti
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@vinlyn said:

@upekka said:

in my case i had been deluded 54 years (more than five decades)

I know the feeling. Three weeks ago I learned that in some ways I have been coasting through life. I have mistaken being nice for being good.

I hear ya @vinlyn! Compassion doesn't always mean being nice and saying yes to everything. Having kids has helped me learn that.

ShoshinKundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

know the feeling. Three weeks ago I learned that in some ways I have been coasting through life. I have mistaken being nice for being good.

Humblin' ain't it. :p

There we are all being ultra spiritual Buddhists ...

... when we realise our shallowness - oops! Better late than never ...

VastmindShoshinkarastiKundo
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I'm as shallow as they come ... :)

karastiKundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Having kids has helped me learn that.

TRUTH!!!!!!!

• If you just take one noble truth and ask yourself, is this true? It's a life changer.

Bunksupekka