Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Online Dharma Class?

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

I am considering paying for this 6 week Tricycle class on the Four Noble Truths. It is $139. Not a lot, but not a little. I will be starting school at the end of September; this class starts Sept. 6th. I have followed Tricycle's Daily Dharma newsletter for awhile and enjoy it.

https://learn.tricycle.org/courses/the-four-noble-truths

After practicing on my own for a long time as a beginner, I feel like I am ready to take a new step but don't know how to. I have never had any Buddhist teachings or interactions other than this forum and reading. I think this class would help me consolidate everything I've learned on my own with the guidance of a teacher.

However, do I really want to pay $139?

However, does money matter that much compared to knowledge?

However, will I really learn anything new? Will I learn a lot but continue to willfully ignore my practice?

Should I just go for it anyway?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Before you decide for sure, perhaps look online for free teachings. There are so many really excellent teachers who post their teachings online on youtube for free, you might find you can grow your understanding without having to pay the money. there's nothing wrong with paying for a class, but I'm always a fan of finding other options if they exist, first. Especially when it's online because paying for online classes lacks something true classroom time has.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I agree with Karasti...there is so much online for free.

Do you not have any Buddhist temple near you?

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2017

@eggsavior said:
    However, do I really want to pay $139?

Yes you do. Twice over. Once for you and once for someone who can not afford the course ... o:)

'That's the way to do it.'
    Punch (Punch and Judy)

and now back to the dana freebies ...
    https://learning.tergar.org/course_library/intro-to-meditation/

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I doubt if i would pay it... it would be nice to be able to correspond with a dharma teacher but I don't think I'd want to pay that much for a course on the 4NT, which is a topic that lots of people have talked about including some great teachers. So it's easy to make progress there.

If you're interested in the subject of suffering - which is a pretty key topic - I'd suggest this series of video's made from a retreat given by Thich Nhat Hanh, called the Art of Suffering. I've found them very useful.

For a paid course I'd look for more complex material, perhaps dependent origination or the unwholesome mind states.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It could depend how far they go into the 4NT, afterall, they hold the entirety of Buddhism within them. Everything Buddhism is, is a way to explain the depths of the 4NT.

Hozan