Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2017

@DhammaDragon said:
    ^^^Thank you, @Shoshin <3

You're welcome @DhammaDragon ...

I'm just stating what I've observed about you, and your ability to bounce back...Ie, The Dukkha axle being slightly off centre creating a bit of a bumpy ride but Dharma practice brings the wheel back into alignment , Sukha.... things back on track... You're a skillful mechanic :)

HozanBuddhadragonlobsterVastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

In the "Who's online?" section, there appears a cryptic "Deleted user."

How the Buddha does a user get deleted, self deleted or even appear as deleted?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

^^ I would like to think it was me ... but it was not. o:) My guess is they are easily identified spammers and the message is only up there briefly ... @Linc will tell us if we are good ... ;)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited June 2017

The "Online" section has a 15-minute cache. So, yes, probably a spammer that got nuked immediately and their ghost lingered a while. Our software (Vanilla) anonymizes the name of accounts that are deleted, hence '[Deleted User]'.

As an aside, I suggest a new discussion in the NewBuddhist.com category for site-related questions. I actually do monitor that area.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yeah, I'm quite good with spammers. Not a lot gets past Auntie Fede.

I have enough to do handling the motley crew on here without letting THEM in!

BuddhadragonlobsterKannon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

As June is lobster month, Uncle Louie has been released. He was innocent incidentally. =)
    http://www.fox5ny.com/fast-five/261927334-story

Hozan

Hubby was down with fever last weekend and is not top fit yet.
    So I have been dragged along to the swimming-pool to give him a hand with our son and a friend of his.
    I hate every second of it....

Here I am, lying on the grass, in a shady corner, with my Fronsdal book, and all sorts of creepy-crawlies walking all over me.
    Dukkha under nature guise.

We city slickers are sooooo misunderstood??

Hozan

I have shooed away at least five insects from my arms and legs in five minutes.
    I mean, how many more of these bugs can there be??????

Hozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Insects outnumber humans by 200,000,000 to 1.

Just thought the info might be useful....

HozanBuddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@DhammaDragon You have Dragon power. And Dhamma power. You shall endure and survive!
    ??????

Feel the love for the ???????.

???

Buddhadragon

I survived...
    It was not that bad, actually, except for the bugs part.
    Most of the time I napped, read my book and watched my son dive from the springboard??

Hozan

So I was in for a couple surprises yesterday.

The first one: I got this huge hardcover edition book of Jack Kerouac's "Some of the Dharma," which is full of notes and ramblings and quotes by the writer on his path to Nirvana.
    An absolute beauty with a charm of its own.

The second one: I found a sort of dead roach in our organic salad.
    At least, the corpse had the decency to stay on the plate as I served the salad around and become conspicuous rather than ending in our stomachs... :p

ShoshinHozan

That's protein, it's ok, you can eat that.
    :lol:

HozanBuddhadragon

(I actually thought for a moment you were talking about the orangey-blob thing above it... It looks like a larvae/insect on its side, with a green pair of pointed wings.... And I thought, "ugh... nasty!" Then scrolled down and saw the rigor-mantis thinggy... So I thought - "bargain! 2 for the price of 1!!"

:D

HozanlobsterBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Nice Buddha @Shoshin. Good find.
    You can not have too many Buddhas ...
    http://www.tsatsastudio.org/practice.htm

ShoshinHozan
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Great slipcover, @DhammaDragon!

Oh my Buddha Nature.....
    I had taken a friend shopping yesterday (she don't drive) ..and before going to the supermarket we stopped at a fruit & vege market...Anyhow my friend bought this strange looking fruit. I asked what it was called and she said "Buddha's hand" (it looked like hands with long fingers)...It turns out it belongs to the citrus fruit family...

Hozan

Yes, I've got one but it hasn't fruited yet.
    In the UK they're called 'Buddha's Fingers'. No good as a lemon, but the fruit is excellent to convert to candied peel.

HozanShoshinlobster
    edited June 2017

This is the fruit in its juvenile state. Not my plant, BtW....

https://citruscentre.co.uk/products/buddhas-hand-citron?variant=19738613191

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2017

@federica said:
    In the UK they're called 'Buddha's Fingers'. No good as a lemon, but the fruit is excellent to convert to candied peel.

Buddha cake? 'These are my fingers, eat them in memory of me ...'?

Sacrilege! Maybe not ...

ShoshinKannon

@Shoshin said:
    Walking home I started to read the section on "Thinking" which got me thinking about the thought that was thinking about the thought that was thinking...A lot of thought went into it and now I'm thoughtless...I think

You start to sound like Upekka, @Shoshin...

ShoshinupekkaHozan

I take this as a compliment :winky:

upekkaHozansilver
    edited July 2017

Hmmm.....

upekkaHozan

This morning I saw the moon...

...And a beautiful moon it was/is....It was a honeymoon of sorts :)

HozanlobsterBunkssilver

It's bloody cold...8 degrees, wind 32 km/h SW and to top it all off it's raining "cold" rain drops...The coldest day to date for the island....elsewhere in Aotearoa there's lots of snow in some parts and even colder temperatures ...

Well ok, it's not THAT cold... :)

However, this too shall pass (come on I ain't got all day :w )

BunksHozanVastmind
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited July 2017

8C is cold during the day for us Southerners @shoshin!

I went and stayed up in the hills north of Melbourne last week for a few days and it struggled to get up to that temperature each day.

Shoshin

True @Bunks ...However today it's slightly warmer around 9C at the moment and top temperature for today is meant to be 13C...Even though Melbourne can have extremely hot summers (40C), in winter it can also get bitter cold ....Hobart seems to have similar weather to NZ, especially central north island and most of the south island ....

edited July 2017

@Shoshin

It does get cold in Melbourne. I reckon Auckland and Melbourne have similar winters but Melbourne is hotter in summer. We have more of a dry heat whereas Auckland seemed to be sub-tropical.

I really enjoyed Auckland summers. Would trade for Melbourne summers I reckon. Too hot to sleep often at night over here whereas it always cooled down in the evenings over there.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

New Doctor in Doctor Who ...

Haters gonna hate, 3... 2... 1...

edited July 2017

I thought she looked familiar, then it hit me, she stared in "Broadchurch" with the 'other' Dr Who David Tennant ...The show's come a long way since this ...

Well yesterday afternoon at work I popped downstairs to the basement toilets and this little fellow was clinging to the wall…

It’s a native one (one of 20 odd indigenous species found in Aotearoa) hence why it was still active in the cold basement toilet area..Mind you it was 16C yesterday so not too cold for a winter’s day…

Native roaches very rarely enter buildings, if they stay too long inside they’ll dry up and die…They (like other cockroaches) are gregarious( where there’s one there’re many) omnivorous (you name it they’ll eat it) and thigmotactic (love to squeeze/rest dorsal ventral in between gaps and cracks …

Over the years the poor roach has gotten a bad rap....But they are fascinating creatures if one cares to study them…

BunksKannon

Well after doing the housework and having lunch, I went for a walk around the Esplanade ...

It was a picture perfect winter's day...

silver
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

Good morning! It is my day off. My only plans are to tidy up and do some painting. If I finish any pieces I will post pics when I'm done

BunksShoshinsilver
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

I just gave myself a 4 card Tarot reading for fun. this is what I pulled:

reversed emperor - discomfort/denial of authority

ten of swords - difficult situation i am unable to accept

reversed page of pentacles - lack of commitment and drive

reversed eight of cups - yearning to abandon a commitment

hmm....very accurate

I just looked at my horoscope:

Your sensitive heart may be touched by anger today, Sagittarius. Don't be afraid of hurting other people's feelings as you express this emotion. You'd be doing yourself and other people a disservice by not revealing the true scope of your emotions. The other parties involved may not have all the facts necessary to make the most educated decision. Aid this process by revealing your perspective.

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE and NOPE

Karma's the only fortune teller this set of aggregates believes in...It's predictions are 99.9% accurate .... It keeps things simple...For this to happen that must happen and for that to happen this must happen

Bunks

@Bunks said:
    I just looked at my horoscope:

Your sensitive heart may be touched by anger today, Sagittarius. Don't be afraid of hurting other people's feelings as you express this emotion. You'd be doing yourself and other people a disservice by not revealing the true scope of your emotions. The other parties involved may not have all the facts necessary to make the most educated decision. Aid this process by revealing your perspective.

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE and NOPE

Not very Buddhist either just quietly.......

Shoshin
  • I like to follow the news:

After being blamed for molesting wheat fields, stealing bits of cows and such like, the mysterious motives of the alien cat people, seems to involve involuntary hair cuts:
    http://www.news18.com/news/india/a-mystery-man-on-delhi-streets-is-chopping-off-womens-hair-1478729.html

Meow! o:)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2017

Wonderful news @karasti

Good luck. I was, in fact I still am, publicity officer and official cructacean for Puppy Linux, unfortunately being an open source project I was paid in emptyness. I am sure you will do better. :)

The good thing was being able to work in any area I saw fit ... but the pay was none existent - fortunately I am 'independently worthless' ... :3
    http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Lobster

Do let us know of the product and how it goes. Very pleased for you. How exciting. <3

Congrats @karasti - that's great!

By coincidence my ex-wife started her first (real) job this week after almost eight years out of the work force.....

Good luck to you

lobsterVastmind
    edited August 2017

Yesterday's walk I came across a falcon (no not the car :) ) the bird of prey, feasting upon a dead hedgehog (just on the road to the right of the white cars)...It took to the air as I approached ...

Perched on a telegraph pole keeping an eye on me and its dinner...

Then on this afternoon's walk... this...( a couple of hundred metres from where I saw the falcon yesterday... )

"Hark the Heron anglers fish"

Apologies for the poor quality of the video and photos...I blame it on my phone camera :wink::)

silverVastmind

On my walk this morning, (down and along the Esplanade) along the way I was accompanied by Monarch butterflies on different parts of my journey....

...As I walked I was thinking about 'attentive awareness' and how more often than not it becomes entangled in the 'thought patterns' as they arise , where the attentive awareness is absorbed by the thought pattern....which becomes the sole 'focus' of attention....

What I've observed is Insight meditation can lead to a calm abiding states of mind...Where thoughts can be observed without them taking over attentive awareness completely..in other words peripheral awareness is never lost.

Not unlike observing a butterfly as it rest on the palm of one's hand, it's free to come and go as it pleases and there's no desire from the hand to grasp and cling to it....

lobsterBunks