Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A good book to read?

So this next month I am going to be less busy due to wrapping up my present job and a break before starting a new one. I want to use this opportunity to finally read a book, as it has been forever since I did that last.

Anyone has any recommendations for a good book, ideally something with a spiritual component? Thanks!

Comments

• Those who seek knowledge, collect something every day. Those who seek the Way, let go of something every day.
    Tao Te Ching

Start anywhere. Never finish. Keep rereading. Understand new meanings.
    You can even read from start to start again ...

shadowleaver
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2017

I myself also liked the Tao Te Ching, it's quite manysided. If you don't read many books and like your text in bite sized pieces, this could be just up your street.

Talking of short books I often return to The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, a wonderful short book of chapters about various topics from marriage to death.

Currently I'm still reading The Complete Talks by Ajahn Chah, if you want dharma this is a good one and not something you'll often find on the shelves. You can download the complete PDF on the internet.

Or if you like poetry you could try something by Rumi or Hakim Sanai.

• @Kerome. You might enjoy "Living Dharma" by Jack Kornfield. He profiles twelve master in the forest tradition.

Jeroen
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Are you looking for something more scholarly? Or more...spiritual adventure/biography/story telling? We are doing a book study here on the forum on a great book called "The Buddha before Buddhism" by Gil Fronsdal. It's short, so a fairly fast read but packed with good stuff. It's the Atthakavagga/The Book of Eights with commentary. I find it fun and interesting because you get something different out of it every time you read, and everyone does, too. So it can make for interesting discussion. It goes back to the simplicity of Buddha's initial teachings.

shadowleaver