Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

'Walk With Me' documentary on Thich Nhat Hanh

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

VastmindShoshin

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I look forward to being able to watch it eventually! It is mentioned on his FB page all the time and I envy those who have been able to see it. No where remotely near me is hosting it, unlikely to have the population to get enough tickets.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It's supposed to get a cinema release on 9 September, so maybe a cinema near you is going to show it, worth a quick look.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2017

There will be a showing here in Memphis, October 5... here is the Info for anyone in the Mid-South area. Including a meet and greet, and walking meditation after..

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/walk-with-me-screening-in-memphis-tickets-36710558268

I'm not going...I don't want to fool with the crowds of people. Plus... that's a work/school night...just not an ideal night for me. I'll see it eventually...one way or another.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Kerome that's good to know I will keep an eye out. It's unlikely anything near me will show it (we are 50 miles from the nearest theater and that's in a town of 8,000 conservative people very Christian people) but it will probably be shown in Minneapolis. That's still 250 miles from me, but I have family there so maybe make a weekend of it.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

It's coming to Charlotte on Sept 12!

• Saw this film in San Rafael, CA last night. Honestly, the preview attached here contains the high points of the film. If you love Thich Nhat Hanh, it is wonderful to see him recovered after suffering a stroke in 2016, but it has taken its toll. See this film with no expectations. Mine were unrealistic. Stuck in dukkha, as per.....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

This is now available to buy and stream on iTunes for 4.99, so I took the opportunity to finally see it. I think as @ironrabbit says you have to watch it with the right expectations, Thich Nhat Hanh is only occasionally in shot, the focus is more on the Plum Village community. It is a very mindful documentary, relatively quiet.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I thought it was boring but I guess I couldnt expect much else.

@Bunks said:
    I thought it was boring but I guess I couldnt expect much else.

There is very little narrative in it, or thinking man’s content, which is why I called it a mindful documentary. It quietly follows along members of the plum village community, in a slightly disjointed fashion. It’s not a great documentary, but it carries some of the right flavour.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yes, there’s a difference between practicing ourselves and watching other people practice.

lobsterNerida

It strikes me that Thich Nhat Hanh may not be comfortable being filmed these days... he had his stroke and his capacities for some things may be reduced, he may not want to share that with the world.

I showed this to some family members the other day, and they perceived the film quite differently from how I saw it. They saw much more a film about a community and a way of life, comparing it with other such communities which they had known. They got quite a lot out of it, especially about how a Buddhist monk’s life can be lived in these days.