Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eclipse fever!!!

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited August 2017 in General Banter

On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-who-what-where-when-and-how

My house is full of science and astronomy heads...and we are READY! Watch/viewing parties are planned all over here in Memphis.
We're going to Shelby Farms. Picnic lunch at noon...then the sky show...

Anyone here got plans? Are you in the path? Watching the NASA live stream? Or the Science Channel coverage?

Here's the link to NASA stream/tv when the time comes...
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

??

Davidperson

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Thx for the links - it's on my calendar now. B)

Vastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I hope you guys have a blast!! We will get around 70%, my son (goes back to college this weekend and is farther south than us) will get around 80%. He was prepared to travel to see totality, but classes start that day and you can't miss first class without getting dropped, so he's out of luck there. We'll be watching weather permitting of course.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

A clear night sky with no light pollution? Sheer luxury! :p

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2017

@karasti said:
    ....... We'll be watching weather permitting of course.

Ain't that the truth! its still up in the air if some leftover showers and clouds from the weekend will roll over on Monday.

edited August 2017

@SpinyNorman said:
    A clear night sky with no light pollution? Sheer luxury! :p

I think you mean a clear day sky with no sunlight pollution, hahaha.

Same difference. :mrgreen:

One more geek out about it....

Any stamp collectors here? The eclipse stamp is awesome!! All the post offices sold out here quickly, and it became a hunt finding them. I Finally just went to USPS and ordered online.

What makes the stamp itself special is that it’s the first in U.S. history to be printed using thermochromic ink, which means it responds to changes in temperature. As you press your finger on the stamp, the image of a solar eclipse—based on a photograph from March 29, 2006, shot in Libya—becomes an image of the moon. It reverts to the original image as it cools back down.

karastisilverNirvanaKannon
  • Thanks for the info on the eclipse stamp. Getting a few is most certainly on my list.

VastmindNirvanaKannon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This might just bring about a revival of sending someone a nice letter via snail-mail.... miracles happen!! :D

VastmindsilverKannon
    edited August 2017

@federica said:
    This might just bring about a revival of sending someone a nice letter via snail-mail.... miracles happen!! :D

Stamps are part of my love for stationary. I try to match the stamp to the occasion or the card/envelope. <3:glasses:

karasti

That's awesome @Vastmind I didn't know about that!
    Canada is celebrating their 150 years (I think it's 150) and they have a bunch of coins that glow in the dark. So cool. I was amazed at the collections of coins they have to offer Sheesh the US is boring!

I'm kind of sad that I won't be able to see the eclipse with my son. He's SO excited about it, i hope he goes with his roomates or a campus group and doesn't just do it alone. He lives for those kinds of experiences, and I wish I could be there with him for all of them, lol. Not in a creepy mom kind of way ;) But just because he prefers to experience them with others and isn't great about expanding his social circle so he can meet other people to do it. Makes me kind of sad to think about him watching it alone.

Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2017

@Vastmind said: Stamps are part of my love for stationary. I try to match the stamp to the occasion or the card/envelope. <3:glasses:

Stationary = not moving.
    Stationery - paper, envelopes, cards etc.

It's a very common error. I have even had to correct my company's official website to this matter!

(Don't hate me. I'm just helping! :D )

karastiVastmindJeroenNirvana
    edited August 2017

@Federica

You got me! :3

You ARE good!!! hahaha....and yes, helpful!.... I'll remember it from now on...

If I love something, I should know how to spell it, hahaha.

sometimes, I love stationary, too, especially after being in the car for hours! I totally understand loving stationery as well. I love a nice pen, nice paper, I even have a wax sealing kit that I use :glasses:

Vastmind
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@karasti said, "He lives for those kinds of experiences, and I wish I could be there with him for all of them, lol. Not in a creepy mom kind of way..."

creepy mom?! O.o
    I'm sorry, @karasti, but there is no. such. thing. :innocent:

karasti

@silver :lol: from my point of view, I agree. From his, not so much! I mostly meant that there are things he experiences that he doesn't want me for, and I totally get and respect that.

silver
    edited August 2017

@silver said: ... creepy mom?! O.o
    I'm sorry, @karasti, but there is no. such. thing. :innocent:

I disagree. There ARE some Moms who are definitely 'creepy'.
    Like those Moms who push their 5-year-old daughters into Beauty Pageants?

Or those women who refer to their cute little yappy lap dogs as their babies, giving them pink-tinted fur and nail-varnish manicures, clothes an jewellery?

Yeah, creepy Moms DO exist.
    No, @karasti isn't one of them....

I hadn't thought of that one (moms who push their daughters in beauty pageants) - definitely.

I was thinking more in terms of nosy moms - but I wish I had been more nosy with my son. Trouble is, one doesn't know if it would/could help or not, in the long run.

I agree, @karasti isn't one of them. B)

karasti
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited August 2017

My mom and my niece visited last night and the eclipse came up. My mom mentioned that one of her cousins who lives in Missouri is in the path for the total eclipse and that she invited my Mom to come, but it was a 10 hour drive. So I said I'm not too busy with work I'd like to go and my mom asked my niece if she'd want to go. And so somehow it sounds like the three of us and anyone else who might want to will take a road trip Sunday, have an eclipse day Monday and drive back Tuesday. It's a lot of driving and I'm not totally sure it's worth it but it's a once in a lifetime kind of event so...

VastmindkarastiKannon

I think it's great to do that kind of stuff @person! Even on long drives, they can be opportunities to see new people and places, have conversations you wouldn't have otherwise, hear new music, and share a big event with others. All good stuff!

Vastmind
    edited August 2017

Instead of the farm/park vibe.....we're going all in. That's right, the planetarium!!!

Kofi is just too excited about the events planned there:

· Safe, viewing telescopes
    · Scale model solar system walk
    · Eclipse activity tables
    · Eclipse educators and Planetarium astronomers
    · NASA live feed of the Solar Eclipse on our Planetarium lobby monitors
    · World’s largest fully functioning solar eclipse glasses

@person .... FWIW...none of us know if it will be worth it, hahaha, but like you said, it's rare enough that the hype is exciting, and I'm looking forward to us all sharing our experiences...

• What a deep pleasure must come from seeing Kofi's excitement. When young minds get caught up in the excitement of the universe who knows where that will carry them. The curiosity of youth can really blow you mind.

My mind has already been blown by minor miracles I see every day.
    My tiny mind cannot fathom the sheer behemoth that is the Solar system, galaxy, universe and infinite darkness that is where we live.
    When it comes to considering we are microscopic beings travelling through space on a lump of rock, at 67,000mph, I faint.

Vastmindkarastisilver
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2017

Talking of the immensity of the universe, I love this video @federica maybe you know it...

Vastmind

@grackle said:
    What a deep pleasure must come from seeing Kofi's excitement. When young minds get caught up in the excitement of the universe who knows where that will carry them. The curiosity of youth can really blow you mind.

For sure! It's also making my imagination, curiosity, and wonder revert right back to my own young mind. I grew up near Cape Canaveral, so every launch was a big event. My parents would pack a lunch, we would get in the big blue boat ( huge, chevy impala...hahaha) and go to nearest field and watch everything. NASA and the space program was a big part of the culture there. Anyway...let me know if you can't get your hands on a stamp, i don't mind sending you a couple.

• @Vastmind. I grew up in Miami and on occaision would travel up the coast to see a launch. It was an exciting time to be alive and see history being made. It was thrilling to hear the countdown to lift off. Thanks for your generous offer. If I can't find the stamps I'll let you know.

Vastmind

@Vastmind Sounds like an awesome event the planetarium has planned! I can't wait to hear how it went! It's still fascinating to me to see Cape Canaveral. I haven't actually been there since I was a kid, but I love just to see it from the beach at Cocoa Beach. Such fascinating stuff. I'm with @federica when I spend too much time thinking about the universe I get almost nauseous, :lol:

edited August 2017

These people are not happy they missed the eclipse. Thanks, clouds.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/eclipse/2017/08/21/solar-eclipse-2017-clouds-block-amazing-view-some-nashville-middle-tennessee/587173001/

The let down is real. ?. It was hot and sunny up until.....exactly 7 mins before...and a huge black cloud covered it. The exact moment!!!! Agghhhh!!!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    These people are not happy they missed the eclipse. Thanks, clouds.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/eclipse/2017/08/21/solar-eclipse-2017-clouds-block-amazing-view-some-nashville-middle-tennessee/587173001/

The let down is real. ?. It was hot and sunny up until.....exactly 7 mins before...and a huge black cloud covered it. The exact moment!!!! Agghhhh!!!

That's karma for ya :wink:

Sad! that stinks @Vastmind! Darn weather. We had clouds since about 10am, which was forecast for us, so we didn't have terribly high expectations. It was neat to watch on tv. My oldest did get to see it, he was in one tiny area of sunshine for the entire upper midwest, lol, so I'm happy for him :) Not within totality but I'm sure he loved it.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Had to drive 56 miles to a friend's house, but it was absolutely phantasmagorically magical. Even the spruce trees spewed out the most wonderful evening aroma, along with other scents from other plants that, I swear, were not in attendance moments before. Only got a minute and a half of total eclipse where I was in Fairfield county, SC.

About an hour and a half earlier there were clouds, but these dispersed well before the first partial phase. I told myself I'd not take off my eclipse glasses during total, but as I could see absolutely nothin', I did. Beautiful! Although I did not notice any other stars in the sky. Nor was the sky entirely dark, as I had allowed myself to believe it would be: The sky miles to my left sported a sunset-like effect which produced sufficient ambient light so as not to plunge the earth into the total darkness I had anticipated.

Right before total eclipse and right afterwards (I was focused on the Sun during Total) the trees made strange rippling patterns on the driveway pebbles and the overhead power lines left very dark, black "Tire marks" on the ground below. I didn't notice any hushing of things though. I fact, this being South Carolina where fireworks always mark special occasions, some firecrackers were set off not too many miles away =).

VastmindpersonKannon

One of my son Caleb's photos from his college campus in North Dakota. He had a blast and loved every minute of it. So thankful he got to experience it!

VastmindsilveryagrKannon

A couple of online friends saw the whole thing - almost perfect weather for them in Cookeville, TN and Columbia, SC.

I just got back from my trip. So sorry @Vastmind, that's a real bummer :( , the next one in 7 years shouldn't be too far away from you though.

It ended up being neither my niece or nephew wanted to make the long drive and miss out on hanging out with their friends that Sunday, so it was just me and my Mom. Looking at the forecast the morning before we left it was saying that the St. Louis area would have some high wispy clouds in the morning with heavier clouds in the afternoon, so I wasn't sure if we should even make the trip. But we decided to roll the dice and give it a shot.

It was 9 1/2 hours down there from her house, with only a few short breaks. My mom's cousin lives back in the woods in a wealthy suburb, we all went to a private party with about 30 people. Everyone was friendly and the food was good, they had signs and info and eclipse themed decorations, my favorite was the Eclipse brand gum sitting around everywhere.

When it started the sky was clear except for some thin, high clouds which the sun shined through but we were worried about it getting heavier as there were the occasional big clouds. But as totality approached the skies were clear.

It seemed like the light was dimming slightly at about 80% or so and the shadows from the trees were all these crescent shapes. Then with about 5% or so left I started getting really exited. It was kind of amazing how much daylight was still out even with just a sliver left, 100% is very different than even 99%. When totality hit and we took off the glasses it was great, it absolutely lived up to the hype. The corona was cool and we could see Venus, I think Uranus and with binoculars, Mercury. It lasted about 2 min 25 secs, as it ended we could see bailey's beads, they had a reddish hue and then the bright sun came out with the diamond ring. We were in a wooded area so couldn't really see much of the horizon to see the 360 sunset.

All in all it was a lot of driving (1,200 miles and around 22 hours for me) for 2 1/2 minutes but it really was impressive and I'm very glad I went. I'd say to anyone who has the opportunity and is thinking about going to see one to do it.

VastmindkarastiJeroenKannon

A similar-age friend says he wants to see the next one in 2024. This morning, the Farmer's Almanac gave a list of future eclipses - the one after that will be much closer to me and more convenient (August 12, 2045). Northern California will be in the path for viewing full-on eclipse.

(And yes, I will be very ripe by then.) B)

Vastmind

I really like the look of the midwest one that is coming in 2099. I'd have to be 124 years old, seems like a good celebration to me :lol:

Vastmindsilver

@karasti said:
    I really like the look of the midwest one that is coming in 2099. I'd have to be 124 years old, seems like a good celebration to me :lol:

I'll be there with bells on (although someone might have to jiggle me 'round to hear them). O.o

karastiVastmind

So after doing a little reading what I thought was in the area of Uranus according to a star tracker app someone had was actually the star Sirius.

Vastmind

"You have to be kidding me!" is the only possible rejoinder to that one (Pun-lovers will get it....)!

On Wednesday evening, Hubby and I sat in the outside area of a Restaurant, looking out onto the Piazza Gesù Nuovo, under a clear sky with the half-moon behind us... it was warm (28 degrees C) and we had a lovely meal.(*)
    Yesterday evening, we were finally home. The temperature much lower, (9 degrees C) but the sky was clear, and there was the moon again.
    It struck me as odd that we had seen the same moon, at the same angle, in an entirely different and distant location the night before. And I had a momentary insight of how much we erroneously take for granted.
    We think we're 'it'; so big and dominant, such a powerful species, very insular thinking, very egocentric. And there was the moon, visible to all, anywhere (in the Northern Hemisphere) quietly laughing at our overblown self-opinion, and serenely nodding in that vast endless sky, at our little foolishness.....

(*We were sat about where the white truck - extreme left of the photo - is parked. I would guess this picture was taken outside the Holiday/tourist season. The wonderful Bar we virtually lived in, which became our 'place to go for coffee' is the one with the white awning, to the right of the big grey Portico, just to the left of the central Obelisk to the Virgin Mary.)

Bumped. This time, it's a Lunar one! July 27th..... Because of the distance, the duration is supposed to be almost 2 hours!. I'm ready!!!!!

http://time.com/5328804/july-2018-lunar-eclipse-date/

person