Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How has NB helped you and/or your practice?

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

Feeling grateful tonight. I will write my own response soon. For now here is just a simple question. Maybe some of our new members will be interested in reading. I am close to being a 1 Year member myself so I am reflective.

Metta to our Sangha <3

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

For me, NB has helped me through some personal issues (you know who you are!) and hard times over the last few years.

Blessings to you all!

karastilobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

It helps me to hear other viewpoints, but to also be more aware of the differences with the various schools of Buddhism.

karastipersonlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It's helped me with insight into various things arising from my practice, with knowledge of different schools and with advice... it's an online sangha in the best sense of the word, lots of people travelling the path together though we life in far-flung corners.

lobstersilver
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

NB is my Buddhist home when I am not with my "normal" Sangha. I get to experience all types of different perspectives, and almost always leave with something to think about. It is the only Buddhist (only religious/philosophical, in fact) forum that I use because it is the only one I've been to where bickering isn't at the forefront of every discussion. Except for eating habits :lol: I find inspiration here regularly, both generally speaking and for my practice. I also get good reminders and life advice.

lobsterVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Kannon said:
    Feeling grateful tonight. ....I am close to being a 1 Year member myself so I am reflective.

Metta to our Sangha <3

Yaaaaas! Gratitude is a beautiful thing. :)

I'm 6 years..it's family now! <3 I can't say it any better than @karasti did.

Ditto to the Metta!

• Feeling grateful tonight.

mmm ... maybe I need more gratitude for what is offered ... I was expecting all my dukkha to be ducked ... If I only listened more and ...

... I feel a plan coming on ... B)
    https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/family--right-speech-reconsidered/

• @Kannon said:
    Feeling grateful tonight. I will write my own response soon. For now here is just a simple question. Maybe some of our new members will be interested in reading. I am close to being a 1 Year member myself so I am reflective.

Metta to our Sangha <3

Dear Friends

What @Kannon says is important.
    Sangha in this tuned in, cyber world is communal but [spoiler alert] does not have to fulfill our social needs, which may be very real.
    We are also if genuinely a spiritual sangha, not here for entertainment, diversion, grammar lessons :p, goat rearing tips etc ... Some people through their interests and proclivities may provide info on how to eat, how to laugh, how to live etc. These are human and often grounding diversions ...

We are lucky, we can improve each others well being ... iz plan.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2017

@lobster ... your link above is a dead end/404.
    Maybe this is where you were trying to go....

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/family-dharma-right-speech-reconsidered

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

It's interesting to contemplate how different the site would be if there were several actual Buddhist monks who frequently participated.

Jeroenherberto
  • Thanks @Vastmind <3
    My apologies for bad link :3

Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2017

We used to have. They no longer come in. (What ever happened to @Palzang, I wonder... ? :( )

Everything has a beginning, a middle and an end.

Jeroenherberto
  • We are not worthy. We are not worthy. :3

silverKundoVastmindShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:
    We used to have. They no longer come in. (What ever happened to @Palzang, I wonder... ? :( )

I suspect that the nature of online discussions is not very conducive to peace.

There is no way to write a pause, to listen to silence between words. There is so much lost in the communication of gestures and smiles. There are few ways to express respect. Brevity is often misread as casualness. Meditativeness is easily mis placed, in the long stream of words.

lobsterShoshinKundo
  • It seems my concept of rebirth has solidified.....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:

@federica said:

I suspect that the nature of online discussions is not very conducive to peace.

There is no way to write a pause, to listen to silence between words. There is so much lost in the communication of gestures and smiles. There are few ways to express respect. Brevity is often misread as casualness. Meditativeness is easily mis placed, in the long stream of words.

I know nothing whatsoever of @Palzang, his whereabouts or even his 'real' (birth) name... We have had no response to his name being used on forum, so I doubt very much he is paying attention to us as a forum at all.
    Hard to find out his current status, if indeed, he is alive even... :(