Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

pesky pests or best friends?

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

Currently typing in the basement from my dad's house. I am going to start moving my stuff down here. It is very large with its own kitchen and bath. It is a bit run down though and bugs easily get in. In the summer my dogs always get fleas and they come into the garage and basement. They're still a problem now but slowly getting better.

There's a lot of spiders and webs. I once saw a centipede though it never happened again. I don't mind bug bites and I don't really mind the bugs. I think they have a right to be here like I do, since humans organized the environment to our needs. And they really aren't hurting things. If a mosquito bites me, well, it has to eat too right?

I kind of like learning about stuff like this, similar to all the things living inside of us, and on us. Everywhere there is an ecosystem. It's a nice thought to be a part of it

https://www.wired.com/2016/01/just-give-up-its-impossible-to-bug-proof-your-home/

ShoshinFosdick

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Okay, now that's something I didn't need to read! O.o

But you have a good attitude about it - kudos, @Kannon. : B)

• KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

I've never been bothered by bugs. I was scared of them when I was younger but never "grossed out" horribly. I just left them alone. As I'm getting older they're becoming very interesting to me.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I have great respect for arthropods...

"Basic entomology can be interesting and fun
    But finding out how arthropods live is not for everyone
    Some people have a phobia about things that creep and crawl
    But if they took time out to study them, they'd have no fear at all"

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@silver faints. (to borrow a phrase from...somebody somewhere). :grin:

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2017

This is not my photo, but I have held wetas before, but not as big as the one in the photo ,it's a giant weta ... amazing creatures ...Sadly even though they are quite harmless, they tend to scare the crap out of some people...all hell breaks loose if they come across one...Their hind legs have spikes on them plus they have quite large mandibles, which I guess can be quite off putting for some people... :)

edited September 2017

@Shoshin. Yes, looks beautiful. I don't know if I'd say that in person though tbh.

Harmless indeed. Bugs are off in their own world most of the time. They couldn't care less. We humans are the weird ones. Unless of course we are part of their snack... Or an unlikely host... dunn dunn dunn >:)

silver
    edited September 2017

Friends not food :p

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(@Kannon, I very kindly and extremely generously corrected the obvious typo in your post.
    You had put an apostrophe before the final 's' in Friends, thereby making it possessive.
    eg: My Friend's book. The book's cover. When you talk about anything in the plural, there is no apostrophe. These are my friends. These are my books.

I know you love me even more now. Everybody does, when I so sweetly correct their grammar. It's a gift, you know.....)

lobsterFosdicksilveryagr
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

on occasion fruit flies munch over leftover fruits.personally they don't do me harm.personally,my job ,as landscaper,gives me the time--sometimes--observe bees do its thing.they look tranquil,percieved by me,even spiritual.....and thats beutiful,to me.def.,the extraordinary in the ordinary. so i like bugs,i just avoid dangerios ones like like black wido spider.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We live in a wilderness area and contend with a lot of critters, and a lot of bugs and spiders. We mostly let them be, but we do move them outside and do what we can to prevent them from getting in. Infestations of flies or ants isn't going to be healthy for anyone. Here, mosquitoes present a very real health threat in the form of West Nile, as well as ticks. So we do what we can to prevent bites, but smacking them helps prevent disease among other animals and humans as well. Not really sure the ideal thing to do, most of the time I brush them off or blow on them rather than kill them. Ticks don't get much mercy, though, as they are incredible spreaders of awful diseases where we live. I don't like to kill them, but I'm not risking Lyme's, alpha-gal allergy reactions, or any other such things. Prevention does a lot. Figuring out how bugs get in and closing the entrance is a great way to deal with them. Doesn't kill them, doesn't let them in.

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Pests? Yes. Pests I try not to harm, but quite frankly there are times ....
    Friends? No.
    I have not yet developed sufficient compassion to view insects as my friends.

@karasti I am looking for indoor bug spray for the windows and doors

An interesting development

federicaShoshin