Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha Dharma Helps Those Who.......

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

I have found that Buddhism is for the most part a hands on kinda spiritual approach, where one has to muck in and get their hands dirty in order to see results....

I guess in a sense The Buddha Dharma helps those who 'are prepared' to help themselves and Dharma practitioners also help those who help themselves by pointing the way (and often by leading by example )....

The Eightfold Path "Package"
1) Right/Complete Understanding/View
2) Right/Complete Thought/Intention
3) Right/Complete Speech
4) Right/Complete Action
5) Right/Complete Livelihood
6) Right/Complete EFFORT
7) Right/Complete Mindfulness
8) Right/Complete Concentration

We tend to get out what we are 'prepared' to put in, which comes to the importance of "Right Effort" ...

"As recorded in the Pali Canon, the Buddha taught there are four aspects to Right Effort. Very simply --

1)The effort to prevent unwholesome qualities -- especially greed, anger and ignorance -- from arising.
2)The effort to extinguish unwholesome qualities that already have arisen.
3)The effort to cultivate skillful, or wholesome, qualities -- especially generosity, loving kindness, and wisdom (the opposites of greed, anger and ignorance) -- that have not yet arisen.
4)The effort to strengthen the wholesome qualities that have already arise

On some days one might feel that they just can't be bothered to do what they know must be done in order to achieve a positive/wholesome result...

What have you found motivates you to make the effort when it comes to Dharma practice ?

paulysoeleJeroenseeker242lobsterDavid

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I guess anxiety is as good as any motivator :)

"A strong desire sometimes mixed with doubt, fear, or uneasiness"

• eleele Connecticut USA New

Struggles. When I'm struggling with something, making the effort really helps me.

Shoshin
  • Samvega links provided by @Snakeskin very appropriate to some of our lazy, many lifetimes, no rush, Dharma fantasists ... :p

However strangely enough, the search for early and repeated benefits from early efforts is an important motivator. That comes from the right effort and appropriate/skilfull means. Practice which we find and apply with a teachers help if available, much as the Buddha did.

Eventually it is true enough we enter a more effortless effort or have attuned our being to an open and free expression.

Don't skip. Know what is required and why, otherwise dukkha, death, illness, psychotic dakinis, mad lobsters and other unhealthy/bothersome arisings will disturb your complacent snoozing/coasting ...

You have been warmed (like a warning but with sizzle)! o:)

Shoshinsilver
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I wish I could tell you, but I don't exactly know. It's like I see some lesson or piece of lore and suddenly a bell goes off in my head signalling "this is for you!" And I go charging off after it as if shot out of a cannon.

Sometimes I grasp a challenge, like losing 10 kg through mindful eating, which at the same time is supposed to cut some ties with being addicted to foodstuffs, and then I have a few attempts at it until I am successful.

And sometimes I'm inspired by the poetic or the mythic... the poem hsin hsin ming or "inscription on faith in mind" by Tseng'can is a particular favourite, I often come back to it and i usually see some new piece of meaning.

SnakeskinShoshin
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

compassionate songs motivate my right intention in the morning.practice giving,tip a buck.my attitude is little things can go a long way.

Shoshinsilver
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

kannon that is awesome.love your attitude.

• @Shoshin said:
    What have you found motivates you to make the effort when it comes to Dharma practice?

Good motivation from @Kannon B)
    ... compliments like candy, smiles unlimited. Creating ripples of goodwill. Doing ever more good is a great way to live ... =)

Shoshinsilver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:>
    What have you found motivates you to make the effort when it comes to Dharma practice ?

Curiosity! There is always more to discover.

Shoshinlobster
  • Curiosity is a good one.

Here is a rather lengthy but hopefully useful exploration for those who are curious ...
    http://blog.paradigm-sys.com/curiosity-a-missing-ingredient-in-buddhist-meditation-practice-and-modern-psychology/