Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Languages graphic thought interesting

I thought this was really cool. Does anyone know where Pali would be? I found sanskrit.

ShoshinKundoSnakeskin

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
  • Yes that helps. It says in your link that Pali is an Indo-aryan language so it is in one of the branches on the graphic but just it is not shown in the chart. Latin isn't shown in the chart either.

Snakeskin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Neither is Welsh/Scottish Gaelic...

Kundo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2017

@federica welsh, scottish, cornish, breton is below the slavic languages and albanian.

edit: not scottish

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"The modern Goidelic languages—Irish, Scottish and Manx—are all descendants of _Middle Irish_".

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Jeffrey said:> Yes that helps. It says in your link that Pali is an Indo-aryan language so it is in one of the branches on the graphic but just it is not shown in the chart. Latin isn't shown in the chart either.

Maybe "dead" languages aren't included?

• Yeah I'm not sure SpinyNorman. Sanskrit is on here and i think it is a dead language at least in similar to latin as only a scholarly language. Probably the chart just overlooked some languages but it does have many.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    "The modern Goidelic languages—Irish, Scottish and Manx—are all descendants of _Middle Irish_".

Did you just call Scots IRISH????? :angry: Even our Gaelic is different from the Irish hmmf

:awesome:

Shoshin
  • Where is klingon? :p Esperanto? :p

;)

... and no computer languages o:)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_preservation

“Fascinating”
    Spock

Snakeskin
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Scots is below English, right to the Right of Frisian. Bavarian, Swiss and Low German are directly to the Left.

Needless to say, the category of "Romance" is synonymous with the language of Rome, Latin, for the region in which Rome is found, Latium.

Snakeskin