Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Confused new member

jhutter33jhutter33 United States New

Hello all,
Namaste
I hope I am adding to the correct discussion. I am fairly new to Buddhism unfortunately I have been in a skilled nursing facility for about a year now while recovering from surgery so i haven't been able to visit any local Buddhist temples in my area. I try to still gain as much knowledge as I caneed online so I am thankful for forums such as this. My real question is if recently came across a statue of Buddha which I have never seen before and not quite sure of it's meaning. I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. I understand the namaskara mudra, but have never come across Buddha in such an elaborate dress/robe and am confused as simplicity is such an important aspect of Buddha's teaching. I have also never seen Buddha depicted as being seen sitting atop a cobra (Naga?). I have seen Medicine Buddha (Bhaiṣajyaguru) depicted as having bluish skin but no other. Could this be in Hinduism? I am sorry for the rambling. Here is a link to the statue in question. Thank you

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&ei=MnfYWdfbHYGojQOo_IOQCQ&q=buddha+sitting+on+cobra,+namaskara&oq=buddha+sitting+on+cobra,+namaskara&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...17169.19031.0.19743.6.5.0.0.0.0.421.1159.0j2j0j1j1.4.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..2.3.737...35i39k1j33i21k1.182.8EIEstP3M6E#imgrc=Uh4Z7mbGQT9tCM:

Comments

• Honestly, forget the statues. They are irrelevant. Drink the medicine, forget about the pretty packaging. It'll save your life.

• I have special Zenith drones for this sort of situation ...

However you are asking about the right direction ...

Symbols are the personification of Buddha qualities. So for example being atop a cobra, means one has mastered the delusions of snake powered kundalini
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_poisons

The Buddha is sometimes depicted as protected by a giant cobra ...

Oh ... welcome <3

NadlatstherbertoKundo
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@jhutter33 said:
    I have also never seen Buddha depicted as being seen sitting atop a cobra (Naga?).

That's Mucalinda the naga king protecting the Buddha.

paulysoSnakeskin
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Welcome @jhutter33 -- hope you find something useful here.

I suppose if you look long enough and far enough, you can find a statue of "Buddha" doing parkour. Of course that and $2 will get you a bus ride. Symbolism and tall tales have their uses but I hope you won't take them too seriously. Go ahead ... be the Buddha, be the snake, but most of all, just be yourself.

Best wishes.

elelobsterNadlatstherberto
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran
    edited October 2017

I was reading that the Medicine Buddha is prayed to for healing. The different poses symbolizes different aspects of The Buddha's enlightenment. I was trying to find a better site. Here is the gist. I don't know about other temples, but I notice in Nichiren and Vietnamese Buddhism, the Dhamma written scroll in the former and The Buddha and bodhisattva statues in the latter are well taken care of. I saw on youtube in another temple outside the states, during The Buddha's birthday ceremony, people pour water and roses over The Buddha statues. We make offerings to The Statue as well.

Some Buddhist depending on the sect invoke buddhas and others bodhisattvas when they need help or want to give a blessing. Giving to the medicine and any Buddha shows the generosity you have in yourself.

So, the actions you give to the buddhas are reflections of actions, what you do for others, and manner of respect to others. At our temple, I didn't see Medicine Buddha. We have many bodhisattvas though.

I would focus on meditation to start so you don't attach yourself to the actual physical statue.

@jhutter33 said:
    Hello all,
    Namaste
    I hope I am adding to the correct discussion. I am fairly new to Buddhism unfortunately I have been in a skilled nursing facility for about a year now while recovering from surgery so i haven't been able to visit any local Buddhist temples in my area. I try to still gain as much knowledge as I caneed online so I am thankful for forums such as this. My real question is if recently came across a statue of Buddha which I have never seen before and not quite sure of it's meaning. I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. I understand the namaskara mudra, but have never come across Buddha in such an elaborate dress/robe and am confused as simplicity is such an important aspect of Buddha's teaching. I have also never seen Buddha depicted as being seen sitting atop a cobra (Naga?). I have seen Medicine Buddha (Bhaiṣajyaguru) depicted as having bluish skin but no other. Could this be in Hinduism? I am sorry for the rambling. Here is a link to the statue in question. Thank you

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&amp;ei=MnfYWdfbHYGojQOo_IOQCQ&amp;q=buddha+sitting+on+cobra,+namaskara&amp;oq=buddha+sitting+on+cobra,+namaskara&amp;gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...17169.19031.0.19743.6.5.0.0.0.0.421.1159.0j2j0j1j1.4.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..2.3.737...35i39k1j33i21k1.182.8EIEstP3M6E#imgrc=Uh4Z7mbGQT9tCM:

• NadlatstNadlatst earth Explorer

@genkaku said:

I suppose if you look long enough and far enough, you can find a statue of "Buddha" doing parkour. Of course that and $2 will get you a bus ride. Symbolism and tall tales have their uses but I hope you won't take them too seriously. Go ahead ... be the Buddha, be the snake, but most of all, just be yourself.

Best wishes.

And when we see that we already are the buddha, we then real-eyes "ourselves."

• @seeker242 said:
    That's Mucalinda the naga king protecting the Buddha.

Hope that answers the original question?
    I like the idea of extreme speed walking meditation (parkour Buddha style) as a possible practice.

Meanwhile we have to focus on the essentials ... whatever they might be ...
    https://jackkornfield.com/freedom-now/

• I wonder if the sitting on top of a cobra relates to being aware of relying on factors which are subject to impermanence/death. As a cobra could be a symbol of death. Those are just thoughts that occur to me. I don't know what the cobra symbolizes as the designers of those had in mind. And it would kind of oddly be showing a Buddha resting on a cobra rather than avoiding it. So awareness would include awareness of death/impermanence/suffering/poison.

• As far as I know, the historical Buddha did not encourage idol worship. The teachings are more important than his person. Bowing to the image is a mark of respect and gratitude rather than a form of worship.

“Indeed, venerable sir, I have quite a lot of remorse and regret.”

“I hope, Vakkali, that you have nothing for which to reproach yourself in regard to virtue.”

“I have nothing, venerable sir, for which to reproach myself in regard to virtue.”

“Then, Vakkali, if you have nothing for which to reproach yourself in regard to virtue, why are you troubled by remorse and regret?”

“For a long time, venerable sir, I have wanted to come to see the Blessed One, but I haven’t been fit enough to do so.”

“Enough, Vakkali! Why do you want to see this foul body? One who sees the Dhamma sees me; one who sees me sees the Dhamma. For in seeing the Dhamma, Vakkali, one sees me; and in seeing me, one sees the Dhamma.

“What do you think, Vakkali, is form permanent or impermanent?”— “Impermanent, venerable sir.”…—“Therefore … Seeing thus … He understands: ‘… there is no more for this state of being.’”

https://suttacentral.net/en/sn22.87

JeffreylobsterZenshinJeroen
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2017

@genkaku said:

Best wishes.

In the lost suttas of the Spiny Nikaya the Buddha is portrayed eating ice-cream. Possibly the texts were corrupted by lax translators like Lawrence of Arabia. :p

Kundowojciech
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@jhutter33 as you can see, we're an eclectic, mixed bunch. ;)
    The most important thing you can do for, with and through Buddhism is to get yourself well.
    Outside of Buddhism, the best thing to do, is to get yourself well.

Well come.

and Welcome.

Heal, and then study.
    Priorities, my dear, priorities. :)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2017

That's actually Nagarjuna, not Buddha.

wojciech