Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

When was the days that a forest fire would cause a great migration of animals, birds and insects. Mankind has partitioned up the land, put up lots of barriers so that now the horses need help doing what comes naturally. In a way we are a crazy species.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:
    Here is another food item :3 sentient being, I photographed in London a few hours ago (Richmond Park). I called him Gandalf, as he was hanging out with his mates blocking my path - 'None shall pass'. Had to go back and around. Deer have priority in Royal Parks ... B)

I have been kayaking recently on an inland lake, I have learned to be very wary of the local swans who think it belongs to them ( which of course it does! ).

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2017

@SpinyNorman said:

@lobster said:
    Here is another food item :3 sentient being, I photographed in London a few hours ago (Richmond Park). I called him Gandalf, as he was hanging out with his mates blocking my path - 'None shall pass'. Had to go back and around. Deer have priority in Royal Parks ... B)

I have been kayaking recently on an inland lake, I have learned to be very wary of the local swans who think it belongs to them ( which of course it does! ).

Yes, swans are quite territorial, and that was just a conflict of space-interest.
    But these people were just recklessly stupid.
    How idiotic can you actually get - ?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • Thanks @federica

Makes sense that they are rutting. A lot of the younger males were fighting each other, reasonably gently. They were all standing their ground.

• I was without electricity for almost a week and I am still without WiFi as a result of storm Ophelia. What have I learned I hear you ask?
    Pine Marten.

....Allegedly....I mean, they're Ninjas.... ain't they?!

BunksHozan
  • The Green Ninja joined forces with The Blue Ninja!

BunkslobsterBuddhadragon
  • Going to see the new blade runner. Its over 3 hours long so I have prepared for it in every way....including studying this useful chart.....

BunkslobsterBuddhadragonShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2017

Is vaginal weightlifting or kegel exercises any use for piss control?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaginal_weightlifting

Think yoga is probably better ... <3

@Hozan, if doing Tantra, not having a vagina is considered irreverent by some yab-yummers ...
    ... here to help our budding surrealists ... ;)

HozanKannon
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited October 2017

@lobster said:
    Is vaginal weightlifting or kegel exercises any use for piss control?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaginal_weightlifting

Think yoga is a better bet ... <3

I don't have a vagina to be weightlifting with.
    I think thats the most surreal sentence I have ever typed.

lobsterfedericaBunkssilver

Trust me, as a woman - I completely sympathise!

lobsterHozansilver
  • http://www.zenforuminternational.org has gone offline
    Pah! Just when halloween/zen bashing day is nearly upon us ...

Will just have to head over to treeleaf
    http://www.treeleaf.org zen community forums with a few shinobi/ninja for protection ...

My claws are polished and oiled ...

Hozan
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Why is Halloween the “zen bashing day”? I always thought zen teachers did the bashing...

lobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

What?! O.o I'm dying here. :skull:

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited October 2017

I had the good fortune to visit a friend's property for a few days ( I had been meaning to go for the past 8 years but never got around to it-until now that is)...The property is around three and half hours drive north of Auckland... an area called Tutamoe, in the Kaipara district... ( In the Maori language Tuta means back of the neck and Moe to sleep )

The hills in the background is where Tutamoe is situated ...It's between Dargaville and Kaikohi (This photo was taken in Dargaville, 45 kms south of Tutamoe...)

My friend's got 10 acres of beautiful bushland/rainforest...The ground is carpeted with foliage soft and springy under foot and the natural colours are amazing :)

Possible Kiwi nesting site...Kiwis have been seen on the property

Out for a walk with my friend's dog Henry...Henry's a good dog...I would have gotten lost without him.. :)

The river that runs through his property

lobsterBunksJeroen
  • Speaking of Bruce Lee, have y'all seen/read this?:

https://brainpickings.org/2016/08/01/bruce-lee-notebook/

Hozan
  • NadlatstNadlatst earth Explorer

@Nevermind said:
    Speaking of food, they just opened a Wholefoods market in my neighborhood. My cost of living just increased substantially. :orange:

Ah yes, it's expensive eating clean, safe, non cancer and disease filled foods, but not as expensive as cancer and disease..

• NadlatstNadlatst earth Explorer

I love letting go of the idea I "should be' doing something else when I am perfectly happy doing what I am doing.
    Om shanti..

ShoshinsilverwojciechBunks
  • Saw this on twitter earlier posted by Noah Rasheta, pretty good I thought.

Hozan
    edited October 2017

To Bee or not to Bee (swarm on the pine tree next door... middle of the photo just about the centre, hanging from the branch)

I attended a Dharma talk this morning (amazing ..two Tibetan Dharma teachers have visited the island in a space of a week, last Wednesday and today) and after arriving home I was about to go for a walk when I hear a familiar buzzing sound, at first i thought there was a wasp nest close by, but then I looked up and saw the busy bees flying to and fro from the branch where they had set up camp...It's that time of year again when they swarm...

News Flash....My neighbours have just started to collect the swarm, ((bees were swarming around my kitchen window which is close to where they set up camp) they have put a bee hive at the bottom of their garden, yum... so it looks like I will have honey on tap... :winky:

lobster
  • @Kerome said:
    Why is Halloween the “zen bashing day”? I always thought zen teachers did the bashing...

They do? Excellent!

We can use them Zeniths as stewards for our Hell Incursion Picnic. The dilemma is do the teachers use the Keisaku to beat away the demons or bodhisattvas trying to run back to the lower purelands? ;)

It’s nice to have neighbours who know a little about beekeeping. Collecting bee swarms is not for everyone you know (although I’ve seen it done a few times).

edited October 2017

I used to keep bees. The times I'd be called on by neighbours ranting angrily on my doorsteps,
    "Your f%$@£&amp;g bees have swrmed into my tree/shed/garage!!"

I would assure them they hadn't but to placate them, I would gather all and any equipment I needed, and follow them to their home, look at the offending invasion, and (smugly) state, "Nope. They're not mine, because they're not bees. Sorry!"
    And I'd turn to go.
    "Well aren't you going to get rid of them?!"
    "Nope. Not my job. Call the council!"
    "Yes, but they'll charge me!"

Exit Fede, left of stage, shrugging with a 'yup!' grin on face.

I guess some people get a buzz out of keeping bees :winky:

Yes. We also get honey, which is really the main reason. That and conservation. It's been established that bees coming from suburban habitats are actually healthier and less prone to disease, pesticides, herbicides and invasive predators than those kept in the wide open spaces.
    People, in close-knit urban communities, are those who are keeping bees going.

I have also found many people can't tell the difference between 'honey bees' and the common wasps...I've been called out on a number of occasions where people have said "I have a wasp nest" only to find it's honey bees and vice versa ...

Bees I normally give the property owner a contact number of a local bee keeper, but at times the bee keepers are not interested if the bee swarm has gone into a wall cavity or down a chimney, for some it's too much hard work trying to smoke them out...Sadly in cases like this, the swarm has to be destroyed...especially if the property owners or any family members have allergy to bees stings...

I cut myself in the tip of my thumb (while dissecting a pumpkin if you must know) and now I’m painfully reminded of it with every operation I do on my tablet... I’m also glad it’s healed over otherwise I’d be leaving blood splodges all over the keyboard, yuck. Dhukka is definitely there.

edited October 2017

Blood on the keyboard...? How very ghoulishly Hallowe'enish!

In the supermarket today, some of the staff were dressed in fancy dress for Halloween... The teller that served me had cuts all over her face and body with blood all over the place...:) I saw some of the customers avoiding this particular teller's checkout...I guess her checkout won't be too busy today...

Her makeup looked something like this

Ghoul blimey ;)

Bunks
    edited October 2017

We have some extra (emergency) staff in our store currently, from other branches, covering for an unusually high incidence of absenteeism.
    A woman came into our store yesterday.
    Picture if you will:
    Full-length grass-green camel coat. Black curly long hair, emerging from a purple bandana. Face, deathly white, thick, dark straight painted eyebrows, so much mascara her eyes could hardly support the weight and stay open, and a slash of red lipstick across a thin, downturned mouth.

"Blimey," said the interim staff member, "There's a Hallowe'en get up!"
    "No," I replied, "She ALWAYS dresses that way."

And she does.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

My mother has been going through my Facebook pictures and asked: "Why do you always come out with such a big nose?"
    I'm a week shy of 47, and my Mom has yet to realize that I do HAVE a big nose...
    Amazing... O.o

You don't have a big nose, @DhammaDragon; you simply have a small face.... ;)

Must say though, I didn't really notice it IRL... not something that seemed in any way obvious to me...

Buddhadragon

No sun - no moon,
    No morn - no noon -
    No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
    No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
    No comfortable feel in any member -
    No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
    No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds... -
    November.

Thomas Hood

Hozan
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

My four year old son has gastro ?

I’ve spent the last 12 hours cleaning up spew and changing his clothes.

Poor little bugger.....

Buddhadragon
    edited November 2017

It's hard @Bunks when a child is feeling poorly...
    As parents we wishes we could take on board their sickness and pain, but all we can do is sympathise and shower them with love and kindness... be there for them....

Been there and done that on many occasions ... :)

May your son get well soon @Bunks

Make sure you have plenty of 'hugs' freely available ....

Metta <3<3

Bunks

Thanks @Shoshin ! Given the nature of his illness there’s probably a good chance I’ll be taking on board his sickness and pain in the next day or two ?

Shoshin

True...May you be well too @Bunks

Bunks

When my son was 4, he had gastro and infected all the neighbours in our street, including my husband.
    I was the only one miraculously spared (super green tea?)
    On the third day, when hubby seemed to be recovering, the bugs attacked his heart and we had to rush him to hospital.
    He was in intensive care for a week and could not work for three.
    Several friends had to be hospitalized too.
    Gastro is not serious for kids but can be lethal with adults, so be careful @Bunks.
    Much metta to your son❤

Thanks @DhammaDragon - he stopped vomiting quite a while ago now and has managed to keep down a banana, ice cream and sushi. Fingers crossed it may have passed!

sushi.... MMMMMMMMMMM!!!

BunkslobsterHozan
  • I was the only one miraculously spared (super green tea?)

Lobster shopping list: ... begin ...

• green tea o:)
    • sushi :3
    • fish :3

... to be continued

HozanBuddhadragonShoshin

@federica said:
    sushi.... MMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Do you remember when we had sushi together in London, Fede?
    Not the best sushi, but it was fun <3

Hozan

@lobster said:

I was the only one miraculously spared (super green tea?)

Lobster shopping list: ... begin ...

• green tea o:)
    • sushi :3
    • fish :3

... to be continued

Add coconut oil, dear @lobster, please... ;)

Hozan

@DhammaDragon said:

@federica said:
    sushi.... MMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Do you remember when we had sushi together in London, Fede?
    Not the best sushi, but it was fun <3

Yes, I was really disappointed at the lack of choice and variety, and said so in a feedback. It was salmon, with salmon, some salmon and a bit of salmon. Not forgetting the salmon. Oh, and the salmon, too. Interspersed liberally on the endless conveyor-belt, with small advert holder stands, publicising just how wonderful the variety of Sushi "Yo! Sushi!" had.....

How is your amiga? She was very nice! It was a lovely day albeit brief... <3

BuddhadragonHozan

Lau was overall nice that day, though she can be much nicer.
    She was a bit jealous at having to share me with you that day.
    Typical Taurus... =)
    She still has that gorgeous jacket we bought together at Marks & Spencer's ❤