Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hug a Nazi day

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

A co-worker pointed out this story to me today. Apparently a black protester at a "white nationalist" rally hugged one of the neo-Nazis in attendance. The Nazi had been assaulted and was bleeding, and the hugger thought to himself "He just needs a little love" and hugged him. When asked by the hugger why the Nazi hated him, the Nazi responded "I don't know." Metta in action...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2017/10/20/a-black-protester-hugged-a-white-nationalist-outside-richard-spencers-talk-why-do-you-hate-me-he-asked/

lobsterpersonVastmindkarastiBuddhadragonShoshincosmicdan

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2017

[Lobster faints]

I feel humbled.
    Some people are beyond brave. <3 He is not even wearing rainbow gloves ... :o Thanks for letting us know. <3B)

I have been using general purpose smiling to good purpose. Not sure I could hug a trump nazi type ... must try harder ... =)

• I often when shaking hands with the "other" hold on tight. Contact with others is so very important. When we view our own intolerance it is easier to extend tolerance to others.

VastmindBuddhadragonlobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I have issues with this article itself, not necessarily the actions.....

Hozanlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I had a feeling you might have had. Remember your dedication thread. I thought your comment was both brave and wonderful.

It made a massive difference to my thought processes....

HozanKundolobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited October 2017

Yeah it’s a two pronged reaction. Although, not to toot my own horn, rather than see red, I can separate the skillful actions of the people in the article from the exasperation I feel over the misuse of the word Nazi by people and the bastardisation of the swastika.

Baby steps ????

lobsterHozanBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2017

Both of which are used in excessively egregious ways by people who either should know better, or are frankly ignorant on several levels.
    Some can be reached.
    Others may be beyond hope....

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2017

Others may be beyond hope...

There is a sufi saying that doing good to bad people may be the equivalent of doing bad to good people.

So for example the friendly way to hug zombies is with a beheading ... ? :o ?

The important thing is to not overestimate our real capacity for metta or its skilfull use. On my wall is a picture of Ganesh, the well known Buddhist converted semi-elephant. Ganesha had swastikas on the base. I had to remove them. I am hopeless.
    http://reclaimtheswastika.com
    Others can tolerate zombies, politicos, religious fanatics, crustaceans and pink unicorns.

Understand your hug capacity and skill level ... <3

HozanBuddhadragon